A Kind of Magic
In Fairyland, fairies and ogres don't get married. It just doesn't happen! Willow the fairy and her beloved husband Gregore, a reformed ogre, have no choice but to emigrate and settle in the real world with their children Tom and Cindy. And boy are they unprepared! Here in the real world, there is no guarantee of a happy ending, especially when you add to the mix the other dysfunctional members such as Ferocia, the colorful, sharp-tongued witch, or His Highness, the Toad, still in search of that magical kiss. This ill-equipped and maladjusted family of immigrants goes from one blunder to another and it is going to take every ounce of courage and street smarts that Tom can muster in order to protect his family from all the curious intruders, for whom magic is more than a little bit strange!
A Kind of Magic (known as Magic in France) is a French animated television series created by Michel Coulon, based upon Arthur de Pins's original design. It was produced by French animation company Xilam Animation with the participation of France 3 and Disney Television France in Season 1 (2008) and Gulli and Canal J for Season 2 (2018).
Not to be confused with the album by Queen.
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: Usually Gregore and Willow for their children.
- A Fairy Did It: Several situations are solved by Willow using her wand to magically turn everything back to normal. Granted, she's sometimes the cause of the problems she has to fix.
- All Myths Are True: It seems they were, back in Fairy Tale Land.
- Bratty Teenage Daughter: Cindy.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Willow.
- Deadpan Snarker: His Highness the Toad and Ferocia.
- Fantastic Racism: Ogres are often accused of eating people. Gregore became a vegetarian to avoid this, but was still suspected of having eaten the (admittedly annoying) neighbours. By his own family, no less!
- Fish Out of Water/ No Social Skills: All the family minus Tom and Cindy.
- Gentle Giant: Gregore.
- Happily Married: Gregore and Willow.
- Hot Mom: Willow
- Hot Teacher: Ms. Tinker (Tom's teacher), so very much.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Gregore and Willow.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Tom just desires to be a normal kid in the Real World.
- Interspecies Romance: Part of the reason why the family had to move to the real world is because ogres and fairies aren't allowed to get married in the fairy tale world, although a later episode suggests that they had to move because Ferocia was banished.
- Nonhuman Humanoid Hybrid: Tom and Cindy are half ogre, half fairy.
- Obnoxious In-Laws: Usually Ferocia to Gregore.
- Precocious Crush: Tom for Ms. Tinker.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: Willow and Ferocia.
- Stalker with a Crush: Leah from Tom's class. Subverted in the sense that she's not crushing on the main character (who would be Tom), but rather on Tom's goofy best friend, Jojo. She went as far as to frame Tom for stealing, just so that Jojo would stop idolizing him so much.
- Suspiciously Similar Song: The theme song is a remake of the classic Queen song.
- Teacher-Student Romance: Played in an episode between Tom and Ms. Tinker, mostly thanks a spell than turns Tom in a Prince Charming.
- Token Evil Teammate: Aunt Ferocia
- White-Haired Pretty Girl: Willow