Across the Universe (film)/YMMV
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Non Sequitur Scene/Disney Acid Sequence - Some of the musical sequences are... odder than the others.
- The only reason for 'Being For The Benefit of Mr. Kite' is Eddie Izzard. Oh, and to illustrate what happens when you drop acid.
- Around the time Max gets enlisted, the plot takes a backseat. It's easier to think of the movie as a series of connected music videos than a story.
- Covered Up - Who aside from hardcore Beatles fans had heard Hold Me Tight before this movie came out?
- The movie's arrangement of With a Little Help From My Friends starts out aping the Beatles', but shifts halfway through to the immensely more popular Joe Cocker version.
- Crowning Music of Awesome - Say what you will about the plot, but The Beatles covers in the film are impressive.
- Domestic Abuser: The guy Prudence was living with when she first got to the Village.
- MST3K Mantra - Mr. Kite spells it out himself in his sequence.
"It's a lot of explanation, kids, but don't worry about it. Just tune in, turn off, drop out, drop in, switch off, switch on and explode."
- Nightmare Fuel:
- The army segment of "I Want You (She's So Heavy)".
- Naked Vietnamese women who do a weird kind of gymnastic dance thing while standing in water about three feet deep, presumably near a beach...and then fall over dead for no apparent reason. Then we're treated to a lovely shot of dead naked bodies with water washing over them.
- Tear Jerker:
- The little boy's funeral. Buckets. All of "Let It Be".
- Max's homecoming.
- The Woobie: Pretty much everyone.
- Special mention goes to Prudence
- Back to Across the Universe (film)