Pearls Before Swine/Radar
Pearls Before Swine gets crap past the radar to a ridiculous extent, though Pastis says he thinks part of this is that the older readers who would be more likely to complain also don't understand many of the things he says. Examples include:
- For example, there was one Sunday strip with the character Ashley Stearns Simpson, with whom Pig discussed FDR and JFK. A lot of readers didn't get it.
- Also, there was another Sunday strip where Pig accidently wrote PMS instead of PS...while writing a letter to his girlfriend.
- And then there's Ho Chi Minh. One strip was cut before it was release because Pastis took it too far.
- In one strip, Rat was writing a detective story involving beds, with a punchline of "no sheet, Sherlock". Say it out loud, and then wonder just how the incredibly strict comics code let that one by.
- The cover for The Sopratos has a very high body count. Actually, so does the entire strip. Even Kenny and all of the Happy Tree Friends would be amazed.
- The Mad Libs strips from November 2010.
- In one arc, where Pig accidently got breasts, Rat slipped in four Double Entendres in when ordering food. Pig said it was not funny. Pastis was pleased.
- The punchline of the October 28, 2010 strip.
- One strip has Pig crawiling into bed with Rat and Rat trying to get Pig out of the bed before somone sees.... just as Goat walks in and goes "Ohhhhhhh myyyyyyyy" and Rat instantly trying to get the truth out.. Yes, Pastis was able to get a Mistaken for Gay joke into the funny pages. How he got this past his normally squemish editors is a mystery until the next treasury but needless to say it's impressive.
- Rat once told a customer he was "not in the mood" while working at a coffee shop.
Customer: Not in the mood?
- Then there's another strip:
Woman: (talking about her boyfriend) "We're 'Friends with Benefits'."
- Hell, Pastis managed to sneak in a Viagra reference. It's like he's just baiting the censors at this point.
- Averted once: One strip was a Parody Commercial for a clown named "Chumpy", who, whenever you say something wrong on a date, sweeps in and distracts your date to make her feel good again. Pastis said that in the original, the clown's name was "Humpy", but he thought that may have been pushing it a bit.
- Pastis kicks off 2012 by telling you to be "happy with the crappy partner you have".
- The Foe Yay between Larry and Zebra in an early series of 2012 strips. This one in particular January 31, 2012
- Pastis has been getting a lot in ever since 2012 started. He's snuck in "What the hell", "crap", and even "badass". Badass, in all fairness, did have the second syllable censored, although there's literally nothing else that could fit there. PBS is becoming like the Animaniacs of newspaper comics with all the crap it's been getting through.
- The East Coast/West Coast Cartoonist War.
- Rat has had at least one Erotic Dream on panel. One strip implied he was having a cream dream about Winona Ryder, and an early Sunday strip about his alarm clock featured him dreaming about "The Land of the Nude Supermodels"