"If it is to be, it's up to me!"
Sky Dancers was an animated cartoon featuring five students studying at Dame Skyla's Dance Academy. Jade, Camille, Breeze, Angelica and Slam are called upon by Dame Skyla, who is secretly Queen of the Wingdom, to protect her territory from her evil brother-in-law, Skyclone, who terrorizes the kingdom of her deceased husband, Skylar, with his Horroricanes, Terrornadoes and a trio of imps named Mumbo, Jumbo, and Snarl in attempts to capture The Skyswirl Stone.
The series was launched in 1996. A total of 28 episodes were produced.
- Big Bad: Skyclone.
- Blow You Away: Breeze.
- Chaos Architecture: The Netherworld.
- Crusading Widower: Skyla.
- Dead Person Impersonation: One episode had Skyclone impersonate Skylar.
- Doppelganger Attack: Skyclone can clone himself and split into ten miniature hims.
- Enemy Mine: "The Alliance" has Skyclone helping the heroes against evil winged gargoyles, who are eventually crushed by giant rocks.
- Five-Man Band
- Heroic Sacrifice: Skylar used a Death Spin against Skyclone, robbing the latter of his wings and banishing him to the Netherworld, but dying in the process. Or so Skyla thinks.
- The High Queen: Queen Skyla.
- Incredible Shrinking Man: When transformed, the Sky Dancers are the same size as the toys.
- Jumped At the Call
- Large Ham: Skyclone.
- The Lost Lenore: King Skylar is a male version.
- Merchandise-Driven: The show was created to sell the toys.
- Me's a Crowd: One of Skyclone's abilities.
- My Little Panzer: The Sky Dancer toys are basically flying, spinning, helicopter-dolls that leave their base at high speed when a string is pulled. Guess what happens when they hit people.
- Power Floats: Skyclone, as opposed to straight-up flying.
- Replaced the Theme Tune: The cartoon had a different opening and entirely new background music when it was released in volumes on DVD.
- Right for the Wrong Reasons: Skyclone, when in disguise as the late King Skyler, explains his return by claiming he was banished to the Netherworld instead of dying. Turns out that the real Skyler was just banished, and can take form in the real one as a spirit.
- Sibling Rivalry: Skyclone, the king's eldest son, attempts to kill his younger brother Skylar who was named the Wingdom's king.
- Spear Counterpart: Dragon Flyz took the same concept as the Sky Dancers toys and turned into an action figure line (and cartoon) marketed to boys.
- Terrible Trio: The imps.
- Theme Tune Roll Call
- What Kind of Lame Power Is Heart, Anyway?: Angelica can stop time, Breeze can create wind, Slam can control gravity, Jade can turn invisible...and Camille can make shapes out of clouds. That disappear after awhile.
- Winged Humanoid: The Sky Dancers, and other winged beings in the Wingdom.
- You Monster!: Skyla calls out Skyclone for using the anniversary of Skyler's death to trap her.