Pokémon Sword and Shield/YMMV
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Ensemble Darkhorse: Galarian Weezing got this big time on it's reveal for looking both classy and reminding fans of Doug Dimmadome. It's popularity only skyrocketed with the reveal of it's ability, "Neutralizing Gas", which negates any other Pokemon's ability, leaving many fans calling it one of the biggest, if not the biggest Game Breaker in the series for it's potential in battle.
- Ruined FOREVER: Poketrainers aren't too pleased that the National Dex was omitted and they can only catch Mons that are only found in the Galar region.
- They Changed It, Now It Sucks: Sword and Shield had consistently been hyped up as the best games in the franchise and the grand debut of Pokémon to the console scene, but at the tail end of the E3 2019 Nintendo Treehouse direct, Masuda announced that only Pokémon in the Galar Pokédex could be transferred to Sword and Shield through Pokémon Home, effectively ending the tradition of being able to transfer any Pokémon from one generation to another. Fan backlash was immediate and harsh. Not helping matters was the reason why, stated just days after the E3 direct: Game Freak was apparently redoing all of the Pokemon models and putting their effort into "high-fidelity animations", which was why they couldn't have every Pokemon in the game. Enraged fans pointed out that all the models and animations seen at that point were either on par with, or were straight up lifted from, the 3DS games and Let's Go. Because of this, much of the hype that Sword and Shield had built up evaporated overnight and left fans mad that Game Freak was cutting corners when they shouldn't have to.
- To put things into perspective, the Japanese fanbase, well known for rarely being outraged over anything, was just as critical, if not moreso, than the western fanbase for many of the reasons stated above.
- It got even worse when an interview with Masuda on June 2019 had him implying that the National Dex cut would be the precedent for all future games, meaning fans would never be able to "catch em all" ever again and essentially turning the games into a popularity contest. In addition to making fans angrier, this managed to turn off some fans from the franchise completely, seeing it as meaningless to buy the new games if there would always be restrictions on what Pokemon could be transferred into them.
- Some trainers are questioning the Galar Region's recipes. They're shock that it's confirmed that we can eat pokemon.
- "NO! NOT TEPIG!!!!"
- Back to Pokémon Sword and Shield
- The later confirmation that they weren't being lifted from older games and doing them all from scratch did nothing to appease fans' anger as it left them questioning what the point of "future-proofing" the models back in 2013 was if they were all going to be replaced anyway and left fans even angrier since it meant the 3DS games had to suffer frame drops for nothing.