Birds of Prey (comics)/YMMV

Everything About Fiction You Never Wanted to Know.
Revision as of 13:22, 21 October 2019 by InternetArchiveBot (talk | contribs) (Rescuing 1 sources and tagging 0 as dead.) #IABot (v2.0)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

  • And the Fandom Rejoiced: At the announcement that Birds of Prey was going to be relaunched with Gail as the writer.
  • Base Breaker: Misfit. According to Gail she was intentionally created to be Oracle's Bat-Mite.
  • Foe Yay
    • Huntress and Catman (he was doing well until he licked her).
    • Oracle and Calculator once met without knowing each other and immediately began flirting.
  • I Am Not Shazam: "Birds of Prey" is not the team's official name, and was not even mentioned until issue #86. In later issues the characters also specifically said that it was not their team name when Zinda Blake continues to use it. However, the writers themselves often seem to forget this point, as numerous characters (Both on and off the team) refer to them as 'the birds' on a semi-regular basis, and the full "Birds of Prey" title makes an occasional appearance.
  • Internet Backdraft
    • Before it was revealed to be a fakeout, the supposed deaths of Savant and Creote. In the same arc, Black Canary's initial theory that White Canary was secretly Cassandra Cain did not go over well with many fans as she had already famously been turned evil in the past with disastrous results.
    • Another was when Ryan Sohmer of The Gutters made a comment about the series "constantly re-launching" and "hoping it would find an audience"... only it has been relaunched as an ongoing once (not counting a couple of mini series and one-shots before the first ongoing) and the initial run lasted over 10 years and 100 issues and gained a devoted fanbase who made the new series a bestseller when it relaunched. You can guess how said fans reacted to being told they don't exist by Sohmer, especially once Sohmer's lickspittle started fighting back. Sohmer did eventually admit that he was wrong.
  • Les Yay: Canary/Oracle leans perilously close to canon sometimes, and (According to Word of God) was originally supposed to lean even closer than the finished product appeared. Black Canary was once supposed to refer to herself as "75% heterosexual," leaving the other 25% up in the air. Sadly, due to placeholder dialog and script confusion it wound up "heterosexual to the bone", to Gail Simone's chagrin (it was not, as many speculated, due to Executive Meddling). Observe. This image even predates Gail Simone's run, being from the earlier Chuck Dixon years.
  • My Real Mommy: Despite being created by Chuck Dixon, BOP is most associated with Gail Simone.
  • Nightmare Fuel
    • Oracle has an eidetic memory. Normally this is pretty handy, but it also means she remembers being shot by The Joker as if it was five minutes ago. See also the entry on Driven to Suicide.
    • Also, the reveal of the Big Bad's identity at the end of issue 12 of the relaunch: Junior. Anyone who's read Secret Six will understand why that name is so pants-wettingly terrifying, made worse by the fact that enough hints are dropped before The Reveal that those who have read it will probably at least have an idea, even if not consciously.
  • So Okay It's Average: The series after the departure of Gail Simone. Unlike most series affiliated with one author the quality never descended into true inadequacy and there was never an en masse abandonment by its readers, but it never did regain that extra something that it had under Simone's pen.