Knight Errant (fanfic)
Knight Errant is a fanficton based on the Kirby franchise. It features a combination of both the Kirby game and the Kirby anime universes, and implies that the anime universe and the game universe are one and the same (the anime occured first, followed by the events of the games).
Knight Errant can be read here.
Tropes used in Knight Errant (fanfic) include:
- Adult Child: Kirby.
- Break the Cutie: Done to Kirby when he finds out that he’s been manipulated into working for NightMare Enterprises for over a century, all while he thought he was helping the Star Warriors.
- Chessmaster: Nightmare is an incredibly clever one. Through both this and Xanatos Speed Chess he is able to trick Kirby into working against the Star Warriors.
- Chromatic Arrangement: The three Cirriusi who work at the Windy Ridge Ship Station. Lafayette is pink, Sander is yellow and Dixon is blue.
- Deadpan Snarker: Sabre Knight is the most notable example. Sword Knight and Blade Knight also do their fair share of behind-the-scenes snarking.
- The Ditz: Kirby is definitely one. He matures over the course of the story.
- Evil Laugh: Nightmare has a habit of doing this.
- Evil Overlord: Nightmare, again.
- Gold Digger: Mint is this to Kirby, who is too naïve to realize he’s being taken advantage of.
- Heroic Sacrifice: While Galacta Knight doesn’t die, Nightmare uses the last of his energy to trap Galacta Knight inside unbreakable crystals.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Sabre Knight is the most notable example, but Sword Knight qualifies.
- Knight Errant: Bet you saw this one coming. BUT it is subverted.
- Knight, Knave, and Squire: Meta Knight, Sword Knight, Blade Knight, and Kirby are a four-member variation of this, with Meta Knight being the knight, Sword and Blade being the knave(s), and (young) Kirby being the squire.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: Right before Kirby goes to fight Nightmare, he comments “I was just thinking that this would make an awesome boss battle!”
- Pink Girl, Blue Boy: Lafayette and Dixon.
- Script Fic: A somewhat unusual one, but it fits the format.