Team Prima Donna
Someone on a team, like a military or superhero, who is self centered and wants everything her (and sometimes his) way. Acts haughty and superior to everyone on the team, especially to the Naive Newcomer. This character can even be offended if the newcomer is in any way better or given special treatment.
Is often The Lancer, and likely grew up a Spoiled Brat or Royal Brat.
But the character does have skills invaluable to the team, even if this character pulls the occasional Leeroy Jenkins in battle.
Also, if this character and the naive newcomer are of the opposite sex (or same sex depending on the genre), they are as likely as not to become Love Interests, or at least a potential love interest.
Watch out for Break the Haughty in some cases.
Compare Glory Hound, Insufferable Genius, Attention Whore.
Contrast Rookie Red Ranger.
Anime and Manga
- Asuka of Neon Genesis Evangelion, although the show, as with a lot of its tropes, ended up deconstructing it.
- Rebuild of Evangelion seems to be a different take on this.
- Ino from Naruto bosses around everyone on her team and also fits the vain Alpha Bitch stereotype.
- Kimi of the School Defense Force in Fruits Basket
- In the film Patton, the eponymous general admits he's this (the team being the Allied forces of World War II). His problem with General Montgomery is that he won't admit he's also one.
- Arya from Eragon. Also Eragon himself, on occasion.
- Sumire of Sakura Taisen is both this and The Prima Donna in the theater group.
- In Hugo's scenario of Suikoden III, Lilly Pendragon serves as this for some time. Partly Justified in that two of the other members are her personal manservants, whom she naturally expects to do their jobs and cater to her every whim... and she also hires Hugo and his friends as "guides", which she thinks puts them in the same catagory.
- Diva of the Power Cats. Yes, she even named herself Diva. She is far and away the most powerful super on the team, but she always wants to be the big star, and she won't take directions from Redlight, the team leader.
- Shelley from Jabberjaw. An Alexadra Cabot expy, albeit she doesn't try to steal the team's boy.
- When Cartman formed the team "Coon and Friends" in South Park, his Jerkass nature naturally turned him into this.
- Simon Belmont was strongly this in his... Artistic License characterization in Captain N.