Proof that the remaining 10% is worth dying for.
These are recommendations made by Tropers for Bakemonogatari Fan Fics, all of which have been signed. After a few samples, you will be able to judge whether you might be interested in a certain 'fic, based on who recommended it.
Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found below. Make sure you sign your recommendation! No-name recommendations may be deleted at other tropers' leisure. Do warn when a fanfic includes sexual situations. Some people just don't like it, and as we all know, Shipping is Serious Business. Likewise, warn if it may head into non-canon territory.
Discussion of the recommendation is welcome on the discussion page. As such discussion is important, do remember to add the discussion page to the watchlist, if need be.
- Recommended by: Troper Name
- Synopsis: What's the story about? Give here a brief summary of the plot. It would be also useful to point out in what moment of the series the story takes place. If it's a Gen Fic but it has some romantic elements, note here the characters involved too.
- Pairing(s): If it's a Shipping Fic, list here the pairings that feature in the fic (warn here if it's het, male slash or female slash). If it's a Gen Fic, remove this line. To tell the difference between the two, notice if the focus of the fic is on a romantic relationship or if it focuses on the other aspects of the story. In case of doubt, classify the story according to the genres it's been tagged: the Romance tag for Shipping, absence of that tag for Gen Fic.
- Tags: If any are known. This would be things like WAFF, Lemon, Dark Fic, any Trigger Warnings, etc. This is also where you would put character names with Characterization Tags if doing so would be equally indicative. ("uber!Harry" for Harry Potter, for instance.)
- Comments: If you want to say something more about why you're recommending the fic, but please, keep it brief. We don't want Conversation in the Main Page.
Authors and Websites
Stories which primarily focus on the normal goings on of the cast.
Stories which crossover with other characters or works.
- Recommended by Never0
- Summary: "Kenichi never really had much going for him. However, there was always one way Kenichi excelled: he was lucky in his Masters. A shame that those of Ryouzanpaku weren't the first he called his Master though."
- Although Pairings are not the focus of the work, they still play a significant role in how events unfold. There is obviously Kenichi/Miu, but also mentions of past Kenichi/Senjougahara and Kenichi/Shigure as main pairings. Triang Relations and the potential for Polyamory have been brought up, and it is implied that there is some sort of Love Triangle between Kisara/Ukita/Shiritori. Of course, romance has become a loaded topic around Ryouzanpaku since Shinobu returned, bringing with her such memorable mock-pairings as Kenichi/Sakaki. In the final chapter, while Kenichi is asleep in Shinobu's shadow, it's mentioned that Miu is trying to move on, as she just returned from a date with Takeda, though Shigure reaffirms her intention to wait. It is ultimately left ambiguous whether she pursued that course of action or not, but it did go a long way to help illustrate the fact that Kenichi's actions had consequences, both good and bad, for him and everyone around him. There was a throwaway reference made to past Elder/Kushinada and to Shinobu propositioning Kenichi and being rejected, as well as the fact that Chikage apparently intended to pursue him as well.
- Comments: This Horror AU Crossover with Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple combines elements from both verses and (very believably) replaces Araragi with Kenichi with focus on the cast of The Mightiest Disciple and only posthumous references to Kenichi's Backstory with the cast of Bakemonogatari. That said, possibly the most fascinating aspect of Honor Thy Masters is the portrayal of the Kai, or the "oddities", which manage to be unnervingly Other without being completely incomprehensible, a rare feat even in published works. Nausea Fuel is used to great effect in the first chapter especially, and how the information dealer's manipulations continue to escalate in cruelty even long after her direct influence on the story has ended is simultaneously awe-inspiring and chilling. In this work, the gods are as capricious as they ever were, and not even the original myths can figure out vampires. And it's captivating and terrible to behold.
"It's like all of reality is a play, and the Nightworld is everything that goes on backstage. Once you know the secrets that happen behind the curtains, you can never look at the play the same way."
Stories whose primary focus is on romantic or sexual relationships between the cast.
- Back to Bakemonogatari
- please note this includes all sexual activity, not just homosexual or bisexual, including het.
- Reminder - if you want to recommend the fic but not write a review, add your Troper name to this line after the original name