|IMPORTANT: The content of this page is outdated. If you have checked or updated this page and found the content to be suitable, please remove this notice.|
Creator of the A.I. Love You, Love Hina, Mahou Sensei Negima and UQ Holder! manga series. Also served as the writer for Mao-chan, and did the lesser-known series Itsudatte My Santa! and Hito Natsu no Kids Game.
Known primarily for his full espousement of the Moe aesthetic and loads of cute girls following the lead, and enormous size of his casts. While he did do earlier doujin work, try not to be confused with his assistant MAGI - who did several doujins under the circle name of Culittle - which are sometimes confused with Ken Akamatsu.
Has a hot wife who Cosplays, whom some of his lead female characters (prominently, Naru) are apparently inspired by. This has led to frequent jokes regarding the "research breaks" he took on Negima (Akamatsu's wife demands HIATUS).
More recently, he's been working on the J-Comi project, working to make currently out-of-print manga available online at no charge, as well as finding ways to allow mangakas to actually make money off of fan translations, again at no cost to the reader.
- Author Appeal: Cosplay. And probably other forms of Fan Service, but the Cosplay is most prominent.
- Author Avatar: Keitaro may be this to him, seeing as Akamatsu usually draws himself like Keitaro.
- Barbie Doll Anatomy: He uses this so much that some people call it "Akamatsu Nipples".
- Bleached Underpants: Like many manga authors, he got his start writing Rule 34 doujin. It should be noted, however, that a lot of doujins that are attributed to him were actually drawn by one of his assistants.
- Continuity Overlap: Primarily between Negima and Love Hina, but there are some overlaps with A.I. Love You. And UQ Holder! is explicitly a sequel to Negima. It's almost to the point of becoming The Verse.
- Cultural Cross-Reference: Everything from Star Wars to Ghostbusters to
ColonelKu:Nel Sanders to Sylvester Stallone.
- Determinator: Seriously, just read a few of his diary entries (translated) and tell us this guy ain't one himself.
- Doing It for the Art: Akamatsu put enormous amount of effort into Negima, making it a lot more detailed than it needs to be (see Shown Their Work below).
- Fan Service
- Genre Savvy: Good god he is one in real life.
- Give Geeks a Chance: His marriage gave hope to nerds everywhere...
- Loads and Loads of Characters: Especially Negima, which starts with about 35 characters and builds from there. It has the distinction of being the first series on the original TV Tropes wiki that broke its character page TWICE due to being so damn long, requiring a secondary page for the other main characters. And it still broke the page again. Eventually, it was divided into 7 character pages.
- Scenery Porn
- Shout-Out: Tons. Especially related to Video Games.
- Shown Their Work: Surprisingly good Latin, Ancient Greek, and Sanskrit in Negima. The Omake is also full of mythological references. Negima volumes' bonus sections also discuss how the laws of physics influences magic.
- Teasing Creator: Especially involving which caused Negima to have its own Ship Tease page.
- Twinkle Toes Samurai: The Shinmeiryuu.
- Unwanted Harem: Love Hina practically redefined the modern form of the Unwanted Harem, and is the genre Akamatsu is most commonly associated with. Even though Mahou Sensei Negima started out looking like one, it moved in a different direction lately, as he wanted to try something different.
- Wham! Line: Negima will end in three chapters. Cue fans frothing at their mouths.
- And now it has ended. What he's gonna do next was anyone's guess at that point.
- And then you find out his reasons for ending the manga way too quick.