He followed this up by portraying lot of bad guys who die a lot. In fact, seeing Sean Bean's name in the credits could almost be considered a spoiler, because it is almost certain that he will be a good guy who turns bad and dies.
Sean Bean is renowned as Mr. Fanservice (despite, or because of his many roles as villains). According to The Other Wiki he does not mind being considered 'a bit rough' by the ladies. Apparently, the ladies are okay with that, because he was voted the UK's second sexiest man in 2004.
He purportedly wanted to become a professional footballer when he was younger before he went into acting.
His personal reputation for badassery has greatly benefited from recent reports of a Major Injury Underreaction after an altercation in a pub. Unfortunately, other reports haven't been as complimentary...
- Sharpe (Richard Sharpe)
- Game of Thrones (Eddard 'Ned' Stark)
- Lord of the Rings (Boromir)
- Oblivion (Martin Septim)
- Troy (Odysseus)
- Tom And Thomas (Paul Sheppard)
- Flight Plan (Captain Rich)
- Silent Hill (Chris DeSilva AKA "Rose's Husband")
- Clarissa (Lovelace)
- Lady Chatterly (Oliver Mellers)
- GoldenEye (Alec Trevelyan)
- National Treasure (Ian Howe)
- Patriot Games (Sean Miller)
- Ronin (Spence)
- Essex Boys (Jason Locke)
- Dont Say A Word (Patrick Koster)
- The Island (Dr. Merrick)
- Equilibrium (Errol Partridge)
- The Vicar of Dibley (A cameo, as himself)
- Black Death (Ulric)
- Badass: True story. He got into a bar fight with a guy who refused to apologise after insulting Bean's Playboy model girlfriend. After the other guy stabbed him with broken glass and gave him a black eye, Bean refused the offer to call him an ambulance, patched himself up with the bar's first aid kit, and ordered another drink. That, my good Tropers, is a Badass.
- Chronically-Killed Actor: The poster child. And how.
- Averted in Mirror Mirror. His character is thought be dead, but was actually cursed to become a beast by the Evil Queen. He does become human again.
- Domestic Abuser: Several reports of him being this in Real Life, sadly.
- Mr. Fanservice: Your mom has a crush on him, my mom has a crush on him. Everyone's mom has a crush on him. Your girlfriend probably wants him too.
- Not Even Bothering with the Accent: Bean pretty much sticks with his native Oop North.
- Rule of Sean Connery
- Stage Names: His birth name is Shaun, but he picked the Irish spelling.
- Typecasting: Apart from Sharpe, Troy and Flight Plan, most of his roles are either villainous/suspicious, or someone who dies.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: During filming of The Lord of the Rings, he was terrified of taking a helicopter to a filming location in the mountains. Enough that he took to what most people would be the far scarier option of climbing the mountain in full costume.