Unfabulous was a Nickelodeon original teen sitcom that started in 2004. It starred Emma Roberts as Addy Singer, a Cool Loser girl with braces and a guitar. The show is all about her life, and her friends as she grows up through middle school. She starts out as 13 years old and in the 3rd season, turns 14. Her best friends are Geena and Zack, and they attend Rocky Road Middle School somewhere on the East Coast. The first season is mostly about her awkward struggles just getting used to middle school, but her obsessive crush on Jake Behari takes most screen time of the second and third season.
The show was supposed to end in 2007, but instead continued into 2008.
- Alpha Bitch: Maris and Cranberry qualify at first, but at the end of the first season become members of Addy's True Companions (Until the Snap Back for season 2.)
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents
- Ascended Extra: Randy Klein in season 2
- Auto-Tune: The Cute Girls.
- Beta Couple: Mary Ferry and Dwayne.
- Black Best Friend: Zack
- Bratty Teenage Daughter: Addie.
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: At the end of the Heffer House episode:
Like Ben telling dad that no-one pranks better,
Or supporting someone's nudist dreams since they don't wear sweaters
- British Brevity: Only ran for 13 episodes per season.
- Brutal Honesty: Addy wants her friends to do this in The Secret
- Butt Monkey: Maris and Cranberry in Addy's daydreams.
- Catholic School Girls Rule: The Cute Girls (Jolene, Molly and Skye).
- Character Development: Addy changing from The Everyman into a girl who speaks her mind and goes for whatever she wants. Zack changing from a granola boy into an intelligent young man. Geena upgrading from an easily angered fashionista into the down-to-earth member of the group. Jake growing into an actual character from generic boy. Even Maris and Cranberry somehow get in on the Character Development, thought it has to happen again after their Snap Back in season 2.
- Cool Loser
- Continuity Nod: Randy Klein becoming Addy's boyfriend after being The Ghost for the first season.
- One episode has Addie singing about her dead goldfish, the Science Fair episode reveals that she's the one who killed it.
- Two of the Cute Girls (Jolene and Molly ) also show up as Science Regional Champions who continuously beat Zack.
- Cosmic Plaything: Randy Klein.
- Crossover: Addie appears to be a close friend of the prankster Megan Parker and even gets a chance to help her torment a sleeping Josh in Megan's webshow.
- Daydream Surprise: Often.
- Derailing Love Interests: Patti Perez was always part of Maris and Cranberry's Girl Posse, but a few episodes after she starts dating Jake Behari she becomes both insufferable and Too Dumb to Live.
- Ending Theme: An instrumental version of whatever song Addy sang in that episode, usually with an entirely different arrangement.
- The Fashionista: Geena, in contrast to Addy.
- First Kiss: Invoked in The List Of Kissed, though it doesn't actually happen until a season later in The Balancing Act.
- Genius Ditz: Geena Fabiano, who alternates between fashion obsessed teen and somebody with an encyclopedic knowledge of Sociology.
- Jolene and Molly of the Cute Girls are Regional Science Fair Champions.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: One episode has Geena explicitly mention that Health is code for Sex Ed (She turns out to be wrong though).
- Girl Group: The Cute Girls.
- Girl Posse: Maris, Cranberry, and Patty, as well as the Cute Girls.
- Granola Boy: Zack in the first season.
- Homage: The The Last Day of Seventh Grade is shown in the style of 24, from Addie's opening narration, showing a timer while she recounts the events, right down to the Twist Ending as the school day's timer fully expires.
- Hollywood Nerd: Marry Fery, Freddy, and Dwayne.
- Informed Judaism: Addy and Randy.
- Last-Second Word Swap: The Principal Jazz trio sing:
Go to class
Don't give us no sass
If you don't we'll go Medieval on your...
- Lyrical Dissonance: Some of Addy's songs.
- Ms. Imagination: Addy.
- Noodle Incident: Addy's failed science projects.
- Pop Star Composer: Jill Sobule, who also wrote and performed the opening theme and all of Addy's songs (Including the guitar riffs/instrumentals played as the Ending Themes.)
- Relationship Upgrade: Addy and Jake in The Perfect Moment, Zack and Geena in The Best Trip Ever.
- Rouge Angles of Satin: The Little Sister.
- Sadist Teacher: Principal Brandywine, and Zack's basketball coach.
- Single Girl Seeks Most Popular Guy: Addy toward Jake Behari, especially in The 66th Day
- Slap Slap Kiss: Ben and Jen
- Snap Back: Maris and Cranberry in Season 2.
- Soundtrack Dissonance: The Mexican Wrestler song after Addy learns Jake has a girlfriend.
- Stalker with a Crush: The 66th Day reveals a lot about how Addy stalks Jake, not to mention producing a CD with 65 songs about him on it.
- Stylistic Suck: Addy's songs.
- Three Amigos
- Twenty-Four-Hour Party People: The Party
- Who Names Their Kid "Dude"?: Cranberry.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: Zack and Abby in The List of Kissed