Wally and Osborne
A webcomic about a polar bear and a penguin in Antarctica.
Wally and Osborne chronicles the many adventures of Osborne (a penguin) and Wally (a polar bear) in Antarctica. The format varies from gag-a-day to story arcs, but it's safe to say that the story never takes itself too seriously. Unfortunately, it hasn't been updated in a little under four years, but there's still a decent archive to go through.
Tropes used in Wally and Osborne include:
- 419 Scam: Briefly mentioned here.
- A Crack in the Ice: Used with thin ice here.
- All Deserts Have Cacti: Antarctica has snow ones made by Wally.
- Beach Episode: With a rather disturbing twist...
- Blatant Lies: After Osborne first tries orange juice, finding he loves it, he remarks, "It's not very good. I don't think you'll want any."
- Blinded by the Light: Wally after staring at the sun for too long here.
- Bold Inflation: Often.
- Canis Latinicus: Invoked when Osborne names the frozen prehistoric penguin "Penguinus Maximus".
- Comedic Sociopathy: "At least he's not flailing about anymore."
- Comically Missing the Point: Here:
Osborne: (after being spit out by Max) Thanks Wally. Any longer and that could have turned out bad.
- Everything's Better with Chocolate: Wally loves it.
- Everything's Better with Penguins: Osborne, naturally.
- Evil Tower of Ominousness: What?! Where are you going?! You didn't even throw a single snowball!"
- Filler Strip: This strip.
- Funny Background Event: Osborne getting tangled in the paddle ball string here.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Despite there not really being a radar, this definitely qualifies.
- This strip briefly mentions size enhancement.
- Great Big Book of Everything: Antarctica's Big Book of Facts.
- It may be sentient, if this strip is any indication.
- Harmless Freezing: The result of getting hit with a hot water balloon.
- Hollywood Skydiving: During the "BASE Jumping" arc.
- I Drank What?: Osborne here.
- Also used with bellybutton lint.
- Impossibly Tacky Clothes: Wally here.
- Incredibly Lame Pun: Wally is a polar bear, native to the North Pole, in the South Pole. As Osborne puts it, he's bipolar.
- The comic's original title, On the Rocks, might also count.
- Lemony Narrator: "This bird slips and falls on its heinie a lot."
- Nose Nuggets: One of these things is not like the others...
- Open Says Me: "I did jiggle the handle a bit... with that snow shovel."
- Orphaned Series: Hasn't updated since 2008.
- Polar Bears and Penguins: The polar bear population in Antarctica is exactly "one."
- Recursive Reality: Suggested in the author's notes of this strip.
- Riding Into the Sunset: Parodied here: since Wally and Osborne live in Antarctica, the sun won't set in five months.
- Running Gag: Water balloons, snowmen, and toboggans.
- Rock Bottom: Here.
- Shout-Out: "It's a bird!" "It's a plane!" ... "No, definitely a bird."
- Shown Their Work: The author knows a lot about Antarctica.
- Snowball Fight: "I need to find some smaller friends."
- Tempting Fate: A perfect day... for a while.
- Toilet Humour: Here.
- Underwear of Power: Wally and Osborne's superhero garb of choice.
- Unsound Effect: *push*
- Vomit Discretion Shot: Implied here.
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot: Here.
- Water Guns and Balloons: Though there are no water guns, water balloons show up quite often.
- Their first appearance notes that the climate of Antarctica isn't suited for them.
- Wally's attempt to rectify this mistake ends with Osborne frozen solid.
- An attempt at using air balloons solidifies Osborne's Butt Monkey status.
- Even more so with the helium balloon.
- Waxing Lyrical: "It's like rai-ai-ain on your wedding day!"