Ratchet & Clank (video game)
The game is about how the titular duo meet and then team up to stop Chairman Drek and the Blarg from destroying planets across the galaxy in order to build themselves a new homeworld. In exchange for a chance to see the galaxy, Ratchet helps Clank look for the great hero, Captain Qwark.
- Acronym Confusion: Captain Qwark offers the heroes a PDA.
Ratchet: A Public Display of Affection?
Qwark: No, a Personal Delivery Assistant.
- Exclusively Evil: The Blarg
- Arrow Cam: The Visibomb Gun in this and the next game.
- Barefoot Cartoon Animal: This is the only game where Ratchet doesn't have shoes, aside from Size Matters.
- Big Bad: Chairman Drek
- Book Ends: The game begins and ends on Planet Veldin.
- Breast Expansion: Perform a few sideways flips in front of the girl who gets you into the hoverboard race in Blackwater City.
- Brick Joke: Hey, the plumber's back!
- Can-Crushing Cranium: In a cutscene after you buy some soda that increases your max health, to demonstrate your newfound strength.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Chairman Drek.
- Deadpan Snarker: Drek.
Novalis Chairman: This is your last chance! Stop this madness now!
Drek: Okay, wait. You're right. I WILL withdraw my troops!
Novalis Chairman: Really?
- The Dragon: The Robot Lieutenant is this to Drek early on in the game, but he promptly disappears after the duo encounter him in the logging site on Eudora and gets replaced by Qwark.
- Earthshattering Kaboom: Drek's Planet Buster weapon.
- Evilly Affable: Chairman Drek.
- Heroic BSOD: Ratchet gets one after Qwark's betrayal. At this point, the only thing keeping him from dumping Clank and packing it all in is a need for mutual cooperation. He does become determined to get back at Qwark though.
- Jerkass: Ratchet after Qwark's betrayal. He gets better.
- Metal Detector Puzzle: The Metal Detector Gadget allows you to find a few extra bolts, but it's never required to complete the game.
- Motive Misidentification: When Ratchet and Clank corner Drek on top of the Planet Buster:
Clank: There must be a better way to find a home for your people.
Drek: You think that's what this is about? Who do you think polluted the last world? I did. This is about one thing and one thing only: cash, and lots of it. See, I've been paid for every square inch of my new world. Once the new inhabitants move in, I'll begin polluting this world as well, and the whole thing starts all over again. Ah... brilliant.
- Planet Looters: The Blarg, or at least Drek.
- Power-Up Letdown: The Morph-O-Ray allows you to turn enemies too large for the Suck Cannon into chickens, allowing you to stock up on Suck Cannon ammo whenever you want. The giant chickens produced by the Gold Morph-O-Ray, however, are too big for the Suck Cannon.
- Plus, thanks to a Good Bad Bug, Morphing and then Sucking an enemy will give you more bolts than just killing it.
- Treacherous Advisor: Qwark.
- Villain with Good Publicity: Captain Qwark.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: Ratchet, only in this game and Size Matters.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Chairman Drek is not one of these, as he is really just trying to exploit his own people at the cost of millions of lives.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Drek's lackey, the Robot Lieutenant all but vanishes from the game after you meet him on Eudora.
- Where It All Began: The final battle with Drek takes place on Veldin-the first level of the game and Ratchet's home planet.
Drek: "Imbeciles. After all the trouble you've gone to, you're about to die right where you started. *sniff* It's so...poetic."
- Wrench Wench: Clank gets a new upgrade from one.