Life Isn't Fair
"Life isn't fair. Deal with it." Fiction Isn't Fair and neither is Real Life. Another one of those Stock Phrases, usually particularly irritating to the character it's being told to. Another way of saying "deal with it". Sometimes used to respond to an accusation that the character wasn't fighting fair.
- In Macross Plus, Isamu snaps at Myung's self-pity by telling her that sometimes life isn't fair and that she needs to deal with it, instead of feeling sorry for herself.
Comic Books[edit | hide]
- In Transmetropolitan, when Spider meets with The Beast before the election, The Beast invokes this in spirit when Spider points out how unfair some of The Beast's views are.
Spider: That's sick.
The Beast: That's the way it is. Life sucks. Wear a hat.
- Many times in The Princess Bride.
"Who ever said life is fair? Where is that written? Life isn't always fair."
"Life is pain, your highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."
- Cozy Carlisle from Dead Again:
Hey, thumbdick, I was a damn good shrink. Nineteen years I worked with a lot of people through a lot of shit. OK, I slept with a patient or two. It's not like I didn't care about them. I loved being a doctor. I used to not charge half my patients. Then the fucking state comes along, they send in some bitch undercover, and I'm fucked. Life isn't fair, is it?
- Snape to Harry in Harry Potter and The Order of The Phoenix:
"You and Black, you're two of a kind: sentimental children, forever whining about how bitterly unfair your lives have been. Well, it may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair. Your blessed father knew that; in fact, he frequently saw to it!"
- Davy Jones in the second Pirates of the Caribbean movie:
"Life is cruel! Why should the afterlife be any different?"
Sarah: (for about the seventeenth time since the film started) That's not fair!
Jareth: You say that so often. I wonder what your basis for comparison is.
- Jason feels the need to bring this up to a recently orphaned girl in Mystery Team.
Jason: Life isn't fair. If life was fair, I'd have gotten a new bike for Christmas, instead of a stupid car.
- Scar in The Lion King says this in a creepy tone.
- Heck, it's the first thing said in the film!
Literature[edit | hide]
Bella: Hasn't anyone ever told you? Life isn't fair.
- Anita Blake from Anita Blake Vampire Hunter:
No, life isn't fair, but I try to be.
Count Olaf: (stuck in a cage, talking to the distraught Baudelaire children) Life isn't fair.
- Many times in The Princess Bride.
"Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something."
"Life isn't fair. It's just fairer than death, that's all."
- Carlton in The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air:
Life isn't fair, Will. I mean, was it fair when Bambi's mother died?
- In one episode of Babylon 5, Marcus the Ranger expresses a rather enlightened outlook on the subject:
You know, um…I used to think that it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe.
- In the theme song of Malcolm in the Middle.
- Young Jeezy in "Soul Survivor":
- Relient K's "Be My Escape" uses the phrase to invert the message.
And this life sentence that I’m serving
I admit that I’m every bit deserving
But the beauty of grace is that it makes life not fair
- Papa Roach in "She Loves Me Not":
I don't know
If I care.
I'm the jerk;
Life's not fair.
- The chorus of the Black Box Recorder song "Child Psychology" goes like this:
Life is unfair
Kill yourself or get over it.
- Lampshaded in Calvin and Hobbes
Calvin's dad: The world is isn't fair, Calvin.
Calvin: I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in my favor?
- George Carlin had a bit in one his stand up routines wherehe not only expounded on how unfair life was, but also noted "Everyone who ever told me that life was fair died horribly before age 35."
Video Games[edit | hide]
- Tali's stance in Mass Effect 2 :
Tali: I don't think life is about what you deserve.
Web Comics[edit | hide]
- Used and abused to hell and back, then back to hell and back again. Trolls, Griefers, and pretty much the entire Internet, using either this or "satire" to excuse Jerkass behavior. Because, hey, life sucks; we might as well make it even worse, right ?
- Also commonly used by parents and authority figures... usually to excuse Jerkass behavior.