Main index can be found here.
The Original Series
"It seems I must have some of my father's softness. I was a fool to let you leave ShadowClan alive!"
The first major antagonist of the series, Brokenstar was a bloodthirsty and hyper-aggressive leader of ShadowClan. His practice of training kits to fight against full-grown warriors and stealing kits from other Clans led to ThunderClan assisting a rebellion against him. Currently residing in the Place of No Stars.
- 0% Approval Rating: Most of his own Clan either fights back and drives him out when ThunderClan attacks or does nothing to stop it.
- Bastard Bastard: Yellowfang's evil illegitimate son.
- Big Bad: He is the leader of the Dark Forest.
- Bigger Bad: Only in Power of Three, where he was recruiting an army to destroy the Clans, offscreen.
- Deader Than Dead
- Demoted to Dragon: He was the Big Bad in Into The Wild, but afterwards he became Tigerstar's dragon.
- Disc One Final Boss: Twice! At first, he looks like the Big Bad of the first arc, but then the villainy of Tigerstar (then Tigerclaw) is brought to light. Then, in The Last Hope he is the leader of the Dark Forest, but after he is offed, Tigerstar takes over.
- Freudian Excuse: He was abused and neglected by his surrogate mother.
- Humiliation Conga: He gets this from the end of Into the Wild to the end of Forest of Secrets.
- Patricide: He killed his father Raggedstar in order to become leader.
- The Spartan Way: Makes kits in warriors before the warrior code allows them to be.
"Real warriors love battle. I give them the chance to die for a cause."
The primary Big Bad of the series, at least for the first six books. Tigerstar was a powerful warrior in ThunderClan, but was exiled for attempting to murder Bluestar (in a bid to usurp her leadership). He came across an ailing ShadowClan, which had just lost their leader, and took on the leadership position himself. His goal was to unite the four Clans and gain power over all the forest, and weed out those that he considered unfit to be warriors, such as former kittypets and half-Clan cats. He is eventually killed by Scourge, after foolishly attacking him for "betraying" their alliance.
He currently resides in "The Place of No Stars", and is trying to tempt Firestar's descendants to his ideals. He has some kind of sinister plan in mind against StarClan, and apparently the living cats will play a huge role in it.
- Amber Eyes
- A Nazi by Any Other Name
- Back from the Dead: His nine lives should have allowed him this, but Scourge one-shots him with reinforced dog claws.
- Big Bad
- Bullying a Dragon: He does this to Scourge and gets killed for it.
- Deader Than Dead
- Demoted to Dragon: He ends up as Brokenstar's dragon in The Last Hope.
- Dragon Their Feet
- Ear Notch
- Evil Mentor: To Brambleclaw and Lionblaze.
- Fan Nickname: Tiggerstar
- Fantastic Racism: Against kittypets and half-Clan cats.
- Freudian Excuse: His father abandoned their family to become a kittypet when Tigerstar and his sisters were only kits.
- Identical Grandson:
- Has an ancestor named Gorseclaw that is identical to him - it's what made Firestar realize that Tigerstar is descended from SkyClan.
- His own sons Brambleclaw and Hawkfrost, and his grandson Tigerheart, also look exactly like him (except the eyes for Hawkfrost).
- My Death Is Just the Beginning
- Politically-Incorrect Villain
- The Resenter: He claims that the moment Bluestar found Firestar he became nothing, and waited many moons for his revenge.
- Shut Up, Kirk: After Firestar asks him if all the death and hatred was worth it, he replies, "Every moment".
"Hope is easy, but it catches no prey."
A former follower of Brokenstar, and then Tigerstar after the latter's exile, Blackstar served as deputy to both Big Bads. After the war with BloodClan, he becomes leader of ShadowClan, but is smart enough to not try anything subversive after all the Clans had been through, and has thus far shown himself to be a capable leader.
- Back from the Dead: It comes with being clan leader.
- Defector From Decadence: Though by no means a friendly character, he has not shown any of the bloodthirstiness or evil ambition of his former idols, and sticks to the Warrior Code.
- The Dragon: Both Brokenstar and Tigerstar's dragon, but he grew out of his villainy.
- Enemy Mine: At the end of The Darkest Hour, when he teams up with Firestar, Leopardstar and Tallstar to defeat Scourge. He has stayed this way since then. Also in Eclipse, when he teams up with ThunderClan to fight WindClan and RiverClan.
- Flat Earth Atheist: Temporarily goes through this after Sol gains power in ShadowClan.
- Karma Houdini: Many fans think he got off easy for being the primary supporter of two the series' most evil characters.
- Heel Face Turn: Near the end of The Darkest Hour.
- Reformed Criminal: Formerly served the villains, but now has a become a good guy, or at least as good as a ShadowClan cat can be.
Originally a three month old apprentice under Brokenstar's reign, he went on to become a warrior until he and the rest of ShadowClan got ill. He and a warrior named Whitethroat ran away to be cured, which eventually Cinderpelt did, even giving them a place to stay in ThunderClan territory. Since then, he has remained a loyal friend to her and became ShadowClan's medicine cat.
- Celibate Hero
- Platonic Life Partners: With Cinderpelt
- Token Good Teammate: One of the only cats other than Tawnypelt in ShadowClan who seems to be good.
The New Prophecy
"Fox dung! I'm a loyal ShadowClan cat. If I'm ever made deputy or leader it will be because I have earned it myself - and my Clanmates and StarClan wish it. You're twisting the warrior code to get what you want, just like you did when you were alive."
Tigerstar's daughter, and Brambleclaw's sister. She ran away from ThunderClan because of the other cats' hatred for her father, joining him in ShadowClan. Even after his crimes are revealed, and the Clans are at peace once more, she chooses to stay in ShadowClan, feeling that she has more of a place there than in ThunderClan. She is one of the four chosen cats to journey to Midnight and find a new home for the Clans, showing that StarClan still has trust in her despite her father's actions.
- The Chosen One
- Morality Pet: To Tigerstar
- Token Good Teammate: To most of ShadowClan.
- Evil Daughter of An Evil Dad: Runs away from ThunderClan precisely because of this reason.
- Green Eyes
- In the Blood: Averted. When she is offered power by her father, she rejects it, and encourages Brambleclaw to do the same.
- Calling the Old Man Out: In the above quote.
- Deadpan Snarker: During the journey to find Midnight, at least.
Era of the Three (Power of Three/Omen of the Stars)
Tawnypelt's son, who was named for Tigerstar. Many cats seemed to consider this an ill omen, considering everything that Tigerstar did, but Tigerheart seems to be averting his grandfather's legacy for the moment. Currently training in The Place of No Stars.
- Good All Along
- Nice Guy: Compared to most of ShadowClan.
- Reverse Mole
- Romantic False Lead: To Dovewing
- Ship Tease: Shockingly enough with Ivypool in The Last Hope.
"I'm glad we're not related! I wouldn't want to be kin with a murderer!"
Tawnypelt's other son of the same litter, who becomes a medicine cat apprentice. He is even-tempered and loyal to his Clan. Currently residing in StarClan.
- A Day in the Limelight
- A Death in the Limelight
- Breakout Character: Very popular with the fandom. So he got his own book.
- Celibate Hero
Tawnypelt's only daughter. She starts out a kind and intelligent warrior, but after Flametail's death, she goes mad with grief.