Pierce Oliviera had a near death experience. More like a death, actually. After drowning in her pool, Pierce woke up in the Underworld where John Hayden, Lord of the Underworld, chose her to be his consort. Frightened, Pierce escaped back into the realm of the living.
Two years later, Pierce and her mother move to her mother's hometown of Isla Huesos. Pierce attempts to move on but feels John's presence everywhere.
There's another presence though, a much more unsettling force. There's the Furies, vengeful spirits who want nothing more than to hurt Pierce and make John suffer.
Pierce begins to learn more about the history and secrets of Isla Huesos, the Underworld, her family, and John himself and begins to fall in love with the man she once feared.
Books in the Series:
- Abandon (2011)
- Underworld (2012)
- Awaken (To be released in 2013)
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Pierce and John, though John tends to calm down under Pierce's influence.
- Arc Symbol: Tassels
- Big Breasts, Big Deal: Kayla is a Type 2. She plans on getting reduction surgery.
- Big Man on Campus: Seth Rector, leaning towards Jerk Jock.
- Book Dumb: Pierce, following her accident, just can't perform well in school. Almost all of the kids in New Pathways and D-Wing count.
- Catch Phrase: Check yourself before you wreck yourself
- Color Coded for Your Convenience: The Persephone Diamond helpfully alerts Pierce whenever Furies are near by turning black.
- Demonic Possession: How the Furies operate. They are able to take over a Weak-Willed person and control them. Apart from the Persephone Diamond, there's no way of detecting them apart from normal humans.
- Double Standard: Pierce is so disgusted by the Double Standard others have towards the relationship between Mr. Mueller and Hannah that she takes matters into her own hands.
- Driven to Suicide: Hannah
- Evil Matriarch: Pierce's grandmother
- Five-Man Band:
- Friend to All Living Things: Pierce and her mother.
- Gratuitous Spanish: Most of Isla Huesos. Justified as they are near Cuba.
- Gray Eyes: John
- Hero with Bad Publicity: Uncle Chris
- Nobody Over 50 Is Gay: Averted with Mr. Smith and his partner.
- Patricide: Eventually revealed to be John's big crime.
- Poor Communication Kills /OneDialogueTwoConversations / You Didn't Ask: A lot of the problems Pierce and John face are the result of Pierce and John misunderstanding one another's meaning and then thinking the other knew what they were talking about. (Ex. What the pomegranate means in Underworld).
- Power Crystal: The Persephone Diamond
- Really 700 Years Old: John and his crew are well over 100-years-old.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: John
- Teacher-Student Romance: Mr. Mueller and Hannah
- The Underworld: Plays it straight by making it a waiting room before the final destination. Changes it to being a cavern with a lake in it. Also, there are multiple Underworlds, John just controls the one under Isla Huesos.
- Villain with Good Publicity: Pierce's Grandmother, The Rector family
- Wife Husbandry: Implied. Pierce is made sure to meet John when she's little so she will meet him again when she dies at an older age. The plan initially involved Pierce's mother.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: Kayla overhears Pierce, John and Frank's supernatural discussion and assumes they are vampires