Final Fantasy XV/Characters/Playable Characters
Specifically, tropes that apply to Noctis and his friends in general.
- Badass Crew: Specifically, of the Crown Prince and his loyal retainers.
- Cool Car: The Regalia. Ignis is the usual driver, but Noctis can drive it, and he will have to be the default driver at night.
- Bodyguarding a Badass: The other three are supposed to do this for Noctis, though a few points in the game flip this around, forcing Noctis to return the favor.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Their standard outfits are all black, but they are all good.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble:
- Noctis: Melancholic.
- Ignis: Phlegmatic.
- Gladiolus: Choleric.
- Prompto: Sanguine.
- Heterosexual Life Partners: All four, though even they recognize and joke about the Ho Yay implications between them occasionally.
- Promoted to Playable: Only Noctis was completely controllable by the player, but a later patch added in being able to switch to controlling one of the others. Each gets to fully playable in their own DLC and at occasional points in the main story as well, the latter added by patches.
- Pungeon Master: All four, though they occasionally fall into Incredibly Lame Pun territory.
- Secret AI Moves: Your allies have moves only they can use when computer controlled.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: Their outfits are based off Real Life designer clothing.
- True Companions: Let's quote Cid Sophiar on this:
Remember, those ain't your bodyguards. They're your brothers. Trust in 'em. Always.
Noctis Lucis Caelum
Crown Prince of the Kingdom of Lucis.
- Affectionate Nickname: All the guys call him "Noct".
- Ancestral Weapon: The various blades of the previous kings of Lucis can be used by Noctis for himself.
- Badass: Practically a family trait, given they can power a barrier powerful enough to shield an entire country.
- Heartbroken Badass: He loses a lot of people he cares about over the story, starting with his own father.
- In The Blood: Every king in his family line has the same powers he does.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: He's the crown prince and eventual king, and he's expected to live up to the definition of nobility that meant you have to prove you are a warrior.
- Badass Beard: Gains one after a Time Skip.
- Heroic RROD: The ring of Lucii causes this, and that's why he is so reluctant to use it.
- Heroic Sacrifice: He uses the ring of Lucii to finally defeat Ardyn and extinguish the Starscourge at the end of the game, but that costs him his life.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He can be somewhat broody, self-centered, egotistical and even the occasional outright jackass. At the end of the day though, he's definitely the man worthy to succeed his father as king of his people.
- Living Battery: Your party can't use magic without him.
- Perky Goth: Dark clothing and his prototype edge-lord style character aside (dropped from the final game), the actual Noctis is a pretty sarcastic, generally far more outgoing guy.
- Picky Eater: The lengths Noctis will go to avoid eating vegetables are ridiculous. Episode Ignis even has an unlockable boss fight where Ignis is trying to force Noctis to eat his veggies once and for all, and the lengths Noctis goes to KILL Ignis to prevent this are so ridiculous, it heads straight for Crosses the Line Twice territory.
- Sleepyhead: Man loves his naps. Not only will he frequently comment on it, one thing he can get all of his friends to agree on is that he and early mornings do not mix.
- Strong Family Resemblance: After a Time Skip, he really starts to resemble his father Regis.
- Teleport Spam: His signature powers.
- Together in Death: The post-credits scene of the game reveals he had reunited with Lunafreya in the afterlife.
A description of the character goes here.
- Affectionate Nickname: He's often referred to as "Iggy" by the other guys.
- Ascended Meme: His Catch Phrase is parodied by Noctis at one point. One of his attacks added in the DLC is named "Quick Recipeh(sic)" in reference to it.
- Badass Finger-Snap: Used for deciding what to cook.
- Battle Butler: Given he's frying up cooked ass when he not kicking it, definitely.
- Blade on a Stick: Uses spears and lances as secondary weapons.
- Dual Wielding: His primary weapon is a pair of daggers.
- Handicapped Badass: Gets rendered blind towards the end of the first part of the game. Eventually manages to overcome said handicap if not become even more adept than he used to be.
- Meaningful Name: His means "fire of knowledge", which is apt, given his brains and fiery loyalty.
- Real Men Cook
- The Smart Guy: Given he balances the team's books, serves as their official driver, and whose special skills revolves around battle tactics, he's certainly the smartest man on the team.
- Specs of Awesome: He's a tall, thin, handsome and aloof intellectual.
- Super Speed: "Quick Recipeh" allows Ignis to make himself a food item on the battlefield so fast, everything else seems to stop while he does so.
- Supreme Chef: To the point he can replicate and even improve on restaurant level cuisine simply by having some himself. He's also able to whip up new recipes simply by reading about random food items, and when you gather certain ingredients, his mind filling in the blanks how to make a meal out of them from there.
- Team Mom: Given he has to watch the diet of everyone else, is basically saddled with all the domestic work, and has to serve as the peacemaker of the group, he's certainly a male example of the trope.
A description of the character goes here.
- Affectionate Nickname: Commonly just called "Gladio" by the guys.
- Badass: Especially notable is he was Noctis' combat instructor, and we see why.
- Ironic Name: While his name brings to mind a type of sword, the gladius, his full first name is that of an actual flower, which he is not nearly as delicate as.
- Then again, given he's an outdoorsman by trade, it may not be so ironic if it refers to his ability to scrounge up edibles in the wild.
- Survivalist Stash: His special skill revolves around finding these and adding to his own team's.
- Team Dad: Serves as the one who keeps everyone in check and basically is the "down to earth" influence of the team.
A description of the character goes here.
- Attention Whore: Amusingly accused of this by Noctis when you review his photos, and Prompto does little to pretend it isn't true:
Noctis: "I swear over half your photos are selfies."
- Camera Fiend
- Cold Sniper: He can become one in his DLC episode.
- Ear Worm: In-Universe example: he can't get in chocobo riding theme out of his head, even finding himself singing part of it at times.
- The Engineer: His secondary weapons are various tools, much like those used by Edgar.
- Expy: His DLC episode reveals he's basically a HEROIC Liquid Snake.
- To be specific: he was a Tyke Bomb created as a clone of a guy who sounds like an Evil Brit, but unlike Liquid, was raised differently and grew up with much better values. He also was appreciative of attempts to give him a better life rather than ungrateful, and while he resents his genetic father, his reasons are actually perfectly understandable and he chooses to react to the truth of his heritage by doing the right thing instead of trying to surpass the evil of the original.
- Formerly Fat: He used to be pudgy and slimmed down, generally because he wanted to impress people like Noctis. It's but the tip of the iceberg of many deeper insecurities.
- Girl-On-Girl Is Hot: Implied that is his opinion, since he uses very suggestive language when talking about Gentiana and Luna partnership.
- Happily Adopted: And as we discover in his DLC episode, the alternative to be turned into a soulless Magitek drone would have been far worse.
- Keet: Is unbelievably hyper and young sounding. It's actually a cover in some ways for a host of insecurity issues, most of which he overcomes in his DLC, as this is otherwise genuine.
- Mark of Shame: Which he takes pains to hide from people because it's a horrible reminder of his past. It's a barcode from his days in a Niflheim Magitek lab where he was one of the experiments.
- Neck Snap: He can do stealth kills of Magitek troopers in his DLC by doing this, but he tends to drag his foe to the ground and immobilize them before wrenching their neck.
- Tyke Bomb: What he was intended to be by Verstaal before he was rescued from that fate. Finding out this was his was almost his fate shocks the shit out of him.