Angel/Recap/S01/E06 Sense and Sensitivity
Kate needs Angel's help to catch a mobster, so he dresses up as a tourist and beats the snot out of them. But, little Tony's lawyers (Wolfram & Hart) Have an evil plan to get him off the hook. Kate and the other cops at her precinct are subjected to "sensitivity training". Of course, this is a disguised curse and so all of the cops become very emotional, like teenage girl PMS emotional. Angel goes to find out why and becomes cursed himself. He returns to the precinct to save Kate and beat the snot out of the mobsters again, but he feels bad about it, 'cause he's cursed. He gives the mobster some advice about trying to be a "rainbow, instead of a painbow". In the end, Kate arrests little Tony, and Wolfram and Hart refuse to help him because he didn't take the opportunity they gave him. Kate asks Angel if she said anything to him and he replies that he's "a little fuzzy."
- Absurdly Spacious Sewer: Where Angel and Doyle face the tentacled demon.
- Action Girl: Kate in the Batman Cold Open
- Anguished Declaration of Love: Sensitive!Harlan to Kate.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking
Cordy: I don't care what horrible thing is about to happen. Asteroids are hurtling towards Earth. Unspeakable evil is rising the San Fernando Valley. Jar-Jar is getting his own talk show.
- Bar Brawl
- Big Fancy House
- Buffy-Speak: "He put the whammy on you! You stink with whammy!"
- Combat Tentacles: The demon faced by Angel and Doyle in the sewers.
- Comically Missing the Point: On the day following Little Tony's arrest, Angel meets with Doyle’s informant, who claims he overhead that "LT" is planning a hit on Det. Lockely.
Angel (to Doyle): You know what that means?
- Covered in Gunge: Cordelia and Doyle after dismembering the demon.
Cordy to Doyle: "Do you think that tentacle spew comes out with dry cleaning?"
- Deadpan Snarker: Inappropriate sarcasm; it masks anger and a fear of rejection.
- Emotionless Boy / Amoral Attorney: Lee Mercer
- Everyone Can See It: Sensitive!Kate points out that Doyle is hiding a crush on Cordelia, and that Cordy responds with sarcasm because she doesn't know how to deal with it.
- Failed Attempt At Drama: The cop yanking down the window blind, only for it to shoot up again.
- Foreshadowing: Wolfram & Hart lawyer Lee Mercer studies a CCTV tape of Angel.
- Funny Background Event: Doyle gets throttled by a not-yet-dead demon tentacle while Cordelia complains about how clueless Angel is to her friends needs.
- Golden Moment: Averted; at the end of the episode it looks like Kate's father is going to finally open up to her. Instead he just says she embarrassed him and made an idiot of herself, and that they'll never mention it again.
- Group Hug: Not Himself!Angel to Doyle and Cordy.
- Hawaiian-Shirted Tourist / Obfuscating Stupidity: Angel pretends to be a tourist who's lost his way before punching it out with Little Tony's mooks.
- Imagine the Audience Naked: Kate is nervous about giving a speech for her father's retirement party. Angel suggests she try "that old saw about imagining people in their underwear". Kate's eyes flick downward to check out Angel's body and she mutters "Way ahead of you."
- I Resemble That Remark
Angel: "So I'm a little reserved, that doesn't mean I don't care."
- Mistaken for Gay: When Kate Lockley's father mistakes Angel for her boyfriend, he says he's glad because he was beginning to wonder "if she didn't lean into another direction altogether."
- Not Herself
- Last-Second Word Swap
Cordelia: Why I ever thought it was a nifty idea to work for a vam (Sees Kate) trilloquist...
- Miranda Rights: "You have the right to remain silent -- but I wouldn't recommend it."
- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished: Heath lets the prisoners out of their cells.
"Remember this, brothers. An act of kindness is just as manly as__" (prisoners beat him up)
- Open Says Me: Angel & Co are breaking into the precinct through a window.
Angel: "Wow. That's vandalism."
- Parental Abandonment: Kate calls her father out on this while under Lloyd's curse, accusing him of having shut down emotionally after her mother died.
- Perp Sweating: Kate on Spivey; Angel on Allen.
- Police Brutality Gambit: Wolfram & Hart raises this to force LAPD Metro Precinct to undergo "sensitivity training."
- Sensitive Is Not Nice: Little Tony (along with Cordy and Doyle) think that Angel is easy prey now that he's gone all touchy-feely, but that just means he's able to get close enough to hit Tony with a chair.
- Stealth Hi Bye: Averted by Angel on the one occasion it was called for. Then again it's difficult to fade away when you're wearing a Hawaiian shirt.
- Talking to Plants: Tony tells one of his mooks to water his plants while he's gone. "And talk to them; they like that."
- Tastes Like Chicken: When confronting Allen Lloyd, Angel comments that his parents tasted like chicken.
- "Well Done, Son" Guy: Kate became a cop to gain the approval of her emotionally distant father.