Axis Powers Hetalia/Characters
There is potentially a character for every country that exists now or ever has, even ones that were never independent countries like Hong Kong, and supernational states like the Holy Roman Empire. The human names are technically not canon, but nonetheless are mentioned (although they are Word of God they're not used in the manga aside from two dubious instances in strips and one of the image songs ; they don't appear on the website and they were deleted with the author's original site blog). Nevertheless they're popular in fandom, mostly because many people don't like using the actual country names in fanfic. It also helps that he's open at least to the idea of human names.
And given how many there already are, as well as the real life world history, it should come as no surprise that the original main characters (Germany, Italy, Japan, America, England, France, Russia, China) have been supplemented by a whole world of prominent, minor and periphery characters.
- The Axis: North Italy, Germany, Japan.
- Justice Destiny Strike Freedom: America, England, Russia, France, China.
- Neither Holy Nor Roman Nor an Empire: Holy Roman Empire, Hungary, Austria, Prussia, Hesse, Bavaria, Saxony.
- The Spanish Empire: Spain, South Italy, Cuba, Monaco.
- Benelux: Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg.
- True Neutral: Switzerland, Liechtenstein.
- The Eastern Europe Soap Opera: Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Belarus, Ukraine.
- Socialism and Salted Herring: Finland, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Iceland.
- The Empire Formerly Known As Britain: Canada, Seychelles, Australia, Cameroon, New Zealand, India, Tonga.
- ASEAN SENSASEAN: Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Thailand, Mongolia, Tibet, Macau.
- Istanbul Not Constantinople: Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Northern Cyprus, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Romania, Moldova, Croatia.
- Micronations: Sealand, Seborga, Wy, Kugelmugel, Molossia, Hutt River, Nikko Nikko, Ladonia.
- Modern Classics: Ancient Rome, Germania, Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece, Britannia, Magyar.
- Historical Figures
- Those Who Do Not Seem to Fit Anywhere
- Japanese Prefectures
- Gender Flip Versions
- France's "Embrace the tres bien moi" opens with the line "Bonjour. Je m'apelle Francis"