Axis Powers Hetalia/Characters/Neither Holy Nor Roman Nor an Empire
Neither Holy, nor Roman, nor an Empire
- Action Girlfriend: Hungary to Austria, though this overlaps with Violently Protective Girlfriend once Prussia or France are involved. It's also hinted through canon (and expanded in fanworks) that she's the dominant one in the relationship.
- All There in the Manual: Saxony and Bavaria (two other descendants of Germania) appear as background characters in the Austrian War of Secession. Saxony also appears in Comic Diary 7, Liechtenstein's Journal of Swiss Dopiness and Chibitalia (as one of HRE's bodyguards, but only in the manga). They are confirmed as elder brothers of Germany in the Prussia-centric Kuso-game, along with the additional three states of Hesse, Schleswig-Holstein, and Brandenburg.
- Big Fancy House: Subverted and played straight:
- Subverted in the case of Chibitalia, Hungary, Austria and HRE. Austria's mansion is pretty big but the end of the Chibitalia strips suggests (if not outright states) that their spending wealth is very limited, which is remarked when HRE leaves the mansion with other Germanic states.
- Played straight with the fancy palace where Austria and Hungary interact with Maria Theresa. It's a Justified Trope considering that Vienna is very famous for palaces like Belvedere or Schonbrunn.
- Big Screwed-Up Family: The Germanic brothers aren't exactly the happiest bunch.
- Crossdresser: The Italies (when they were little). Although the Italies' dresses may be another historical in-joke.
- Ensemble Darkhorse: Prussia and Hungary, who along with Austria form the Frying Pangle.
- Hair Decorations: Hungary has flower-shaped hairpins, Monaco has hairpins and ribbons.
- Happily Married: Austria and Hungary, even though they're technically and formally divorced.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy - Austria (though he's more a Princely Young Man than girly) and Hungary (though she's more feminine than many blue girls).
- Meido: As a young child living with Austria, Italy used to wear maid outfits. Especially in the Chibitalia chapter, which lampshades the trope when the Holy Roman Empire is seen with a portrait of Chibitalia and is asked if the model was a servant.
- Official Couple: Austria and Hungary.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: Austria and Hungary are the grown-up version of the trope. HRE and Chibitalia also fit... except that Chibitalia is a a boy who dresses as a girl
- Team Dad: Austria, no question. He raises the girlish N. Italy with the help of Hungary.
- Team Mom: Spain is this at start, being equal partners with Austria (or property?), and raising the boyish S. Italy. Hungary graduates to this from Cool Big Sis after she marries the local Team Dad.
- The Clan Of The Habsburgs
- The Sound of Martial Music: Austria, though due to historical reasons Hungary plays a large role here as well.
- Unsettling Gender Reveal: Young Prussia used to think that young Hungary was a boy, until he got to grope her chest. And some other characters thought that Chibitalia (child North Italy) was a little girl (the Holy Roman Empire included), until he hit puberty.
The Holy Roman Empire
Italy, come with me, and become the Roman Empire again!
Voiced by: Jun Konno (JP), Chris Cason (EN)
- Blue Eyes
- Dogged Nice Guy: Type 1 to Chibitalia.
- Hair of Gold
- Ho Yay: He has a crush on Chibitalia, but he doesn't know Chibitalia is actually a boy. Later, as Germany, he has a crush on Italy again and he's quite scandalized by the fact he tries to date a guy. If he is actually Germany. (Though the hints are really, really laid thick)
- Ill Boy:In a very recent strip, he appears as a pre-teen with the looks of a 12-year-old boy, yelling at the Germanic states... and collapses due to a cough and some Blood From the Mouth. Hungary has to pick him up in a certain faux symbolic pose.
- Monochromatic Eyes: In the manga and merchandise. Subverted in the anime, where his eyes are changed to be brighter and with pupils and shine to them, as well as in the very recent strip of him as an older child/teen where his eyes are drawn with pupils.
- Nice Hat
- Satellite Character: Is HRE the boss? Does he just own the house? He doesn't interact much with the others. He's not Germany, by the way. Or is he?
- Stalker with a Crush: To Chibitalia, completely played for laughs.
- Tsundere: Arguably, towards Chibitalia.
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: Italy's. According to France (in a deleted strip), HRE apparently perished in the war, but some definite hints say HRE actually lost his memory in the war and was found by Prussia later, then raised by him to become Germany.
Hungary - Elizabeta Héderváry
Ah, that horny man is touching his chest! Austria's nipples are sacred things!
- Action Girl
- Badass Adorable / Cute Bruiser: She started fighting when she was a little girl, and was able to take on both Prussia and Austria successfully. She also averts Chickification by both not being invincible in her "male" days and by being shown as physically strong (if not even stronger) during her "maid" ones.
- Bathing Beauty: She's seen taking a bath with Chibitalia in early strips, and a recent one has her inviting Taiwan to have a soak in Lake Heviz.
- Beware the Nice Ones: This cute and sweet maid brutalizes Prussia's army, watches him get ready to sleep with a spear in hand, and busts down a wall in his home to help out her beloved Austria.
- Bifauxnen: For a request during the April Fool's 2011 event, Himaruya drew her dressed in a prince-like outfit with Liechtenstein. She also had shades of this when she was younger before she discovered she was a woman.
- Her Halloween costume in the 2011 event was also a prince.
- Not to mention her fancy outfit in the Gakuen games also qualifies as this.
- And her uniform which is much more masculine than Belarus and Ukraine's.
- Bi the Way: She may have some shades of this... Hungary suggested that Ukraine should wear the traditional ancient Crete dress (which completely exposes the breasts) in this comic strip
- Blade on a Stick: Hungary's Weapon of Choice (aside of her frying pan). She also has a rifle, but we never see her use it.
- Bodyguard Crush: Towards Austria.
- Boisterous Bruiser: Can be easily seen as one of the rare female examples.
Hungary: Seize vital regions, seize vital regions... CRUSH PRUSSIA! CRUSH PRUSSIA!
- Bokukko: When she was a child, Hungary spoke rather boyishly, assuming that she was a boy and would grow up into a man (heck, when her breasts started developing, she actually thought that she was sick...). Ever since she grew out of this, though, she has perfectly feminine speech patterns, only reverting to boyish speech when she's very pissed off.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Himaruya originally intended to have Hungary as a crossdressing male. He used this idea for Poland instead.
- Boobs of Steel: Is very well-endowed (though not to Ukraine's Gag Boobs levels), as shown in the scene from the "Noto-sama 5" game where Yamato and Noto peep on her when she's changing clothes. Also, in every fanwork that feature "Bust Chart" she'll often be the second after Ukraine("Often", because she may trades place to either Belarus or Taiwan).
- Broken Bird: Often portrayed like this in Dark Fic.
- Camera Fiend: The fans love to peg her as one, based on her Yaoi Fangirl status.
- Then again, she did take photos of the mess around Austria when he was groped by France.
- Chickification: Averted very hard. She's actually manlier than a good chunk of the male cast.
- Covert Pervert: She insists that her love for Austria is "pure," but all the footage she has of him in compromising positions says otherwise. Even France is amazed by how dirty her mind is.
- Defeat by Modesty. Subverted in this strip, where Hungary doesn't seem to care that her tunic has been ripped to Absolute Cleavage levels after fighting Turkey. Prussia's the one who cares more.
- Flower Motifs: She uses flowers and/or flower-shaped hair jewelry.
- Foe Yay: In Fanon, with Romania, emphasis on the 'foe' part, due to the fact that they hate each other with a burning passion. They probably have one of the strongest cases of antagonism. And this is true in Real Life, too, as Romanians and Hungarians still have some serious differences to settle. Doesn't stop fans from making Romania her Third Option Love Interest, after Austria and Prussia.
- Frying Pan of Doom: If Hungary and Prussia are in the same comic, you can expect to see her attack him with at least this. France is another target when Hungary isn't in "Voyeurist" Mode. The frying pan probably comes from 'László the Brave,' a Hungarian slapstick comedy in the vein of 'Punch and Judy,' where the titular hero uses a huge frying pan to beat up his enemies.
- Girliness Upgrade: From a Cute Bruiser Bokukko, to a Team Mom Ninja Maid. Some fans don't like it AT ALL, though.
- Green Eyes: Justified, as it turns out. Hungary as one of the highest percentages of green eyes in Europe.
- Hot Amazon / Ninja Maid: Hungary often dresses up as a Meido (especially in the Maria Theresa mini arc). She's also very willing to use her spear to defend herself and/or Austria.
- It seems to me that it's not a maid dress but a simplified version of the traditional Hungarian dress or folk attire.
- It could actually be a mix of both factors. In Chibitalia we see Italy working as a maid at the "Holy Roman Empire Household" and dressing up as a maid, and when Hungary is introduced as his Cool Big Sis it's said they're technically in the same situation. And in "France and the frying pan", she's clearly wearing a normal maid outfit.
- It seems to me that it's not a maid dress but a simplified version of the traditional Hungarian dress or folk attire.
- Improbable Weapon User: Is seen beating up France with her Frying Pan of Doom. Never Prussia, despite what fanon says.
- In-Series Nickname: She's called Hun-chan by Ukraine.
- Otaku Surrogate: Fangirls adore the fact that the girl who appears the most loves male-on-male porn as much as they do.
- Panty Shot: Courtesy of France, of course.
- Parental Substitute: Towards Chibitalia.
- Platonic Life Partners: Kinda hinted to be this with Poland, which is supported by the historical connections between both nations. She refers to him as "Po-chan", to start.
- Plucky Girl: And how.
- Relationship Voice Actor: In the dub Medusa and Stein are in a loving relationship...enjoy the Mind Screw!
- Shotacon: Either this or extreme Cuteness Proximity.
- Sexy Santa Dress: She's shown wearing one rather seductively in the 2009 Christmas strips.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: Wears a Pimped-Out Dress and jewelry in the Christmas strips for 2010. Himaruya later drew her in an even more pimped out dress, alongside Prussia in a nice suit.
- While not quite as pimped out, Himaruya also drew her wearing a simple, but very elegant dress alongside Austria.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: She and Austria. In her own words from the Gakuen Hetalia script: "My heart is Austrian territory!"
- Also slightly subverted, due to her status as a Yaoi Fangirl. She does love and care for Austria, but rarely minds seeing her husband/boyfriend being felt up by other males...
- Sitcom Arch Nemesis: She gets riled up whenever Romania's around. As shown in the 2011 Bloodbath, wherein there's already a bad tension in the air when Romania appears.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Elisabeth, Elisaveta, Erzsébet, Elizabeth...?
- Unsettling Gender Reveal: Prussia, possibly several other nations, and Hungary herself were all rather surprised to find out that Hungary was a girl.
- Violently Protective Girlfriend: So much that she once was pictured in the main page.
- What Could Have Been: Along with the idea for Hungary as a man, Himaruya had another idea for her personality, with her being a snide and witchy type of woman who would shoot people full of arrows if they mistook her for a guy. The basis of her current design and this rejected personality were in turn recycled from a Hungarian witch character in a series that never materialized.
- Yaoi Fangirl: Hungary loves nothing more than watching men having sex. Even if it's her husband. Who are we kidding, she loves it especially if it's her husband. ("Platonic and pure love", OUR FEET!) Justified Trope to a degree, considering Hungary's fame on pornography.
- You Fail Biology Forever: She thought she was a boy. She had the strangest theories to explain this. And she made fun of Prussia for not only thinking her theory was as unbelievable as it is, but for not knowing it already.
Austria - Roderich Edelstein
Beethoven attained greatness as an Austrian. He would count out 60 beans when he drank his coffee. This kind of over-serious behavior is characteristic of Austrians.
Voiced by: Akira Sasanuma (JP), Chuck Huber (EN)
- Aloof Big Brother Mentor: Though he served as Italy's mentor and brother figure when Italy was a child, he was also very strict and cold.
- Beauty Mark: A tiny one... that functions as his erogenous zone.
- Bishonen: While it could be argued that this applies to a lot of characters, Art Evolution seems to be hitting Austria hard in the latest manga volumes.
- Dichter and Denker: The Dichter part, his musical skill being a nod to Austria's famous composers.
- Elegant Classical Musician Really handsome, really skilled in piano playing. The official calendar and several fanarts also make him a skilled violinist.
- Ermine Cape Effect: Subverted. While most of his outfits aren't flashy, there's still an element of elegance and class in them, his cravat being a constant.
- Even the Guys Want Him: While pretty much every male has this going on, let's not forget that his beautiful wife loves seeing them hit on him in canon.
- Fantastic Arousal: Well...
- Hey, It's That Voice!: Akira Sasanuma aka Dearka Elsman and the heir of the Manganji clan.
- He's also Link!
- Idiot Hair: Represents Mariazell.
- Ill Boy: He was in a wheelchair for a time, according to some of Himaruya's notes
- Impoverished Patrician: Just because the glory days of the Habsburgs are over doesn't mean Austria has to act like it. Prussia tries to blow his cover on his penny-pinching ways to Austria's archrival Switzerland. Too bad he forgets that for Switzerland, nothing is nobler than thrift.
- Stoic Spectacles: Actually, Austria has a great emotional range: he can be 'solemn', 'sullen', 'stern', 'saturnine', 'harsh' and 'sterner'.
- Neat Freak: As an aristocrat, he gets angry when seen disheveled. Even if it's by his wife. At least in public anyway.
- Non-Action Guy: Much to Switzerland's frustration. Luckily, his partner and wife is a Ninja Maid who's more than happy to fight for him, while he remains as Mission Control.
- Also lampshaded in a strip where it's revealed that his fastest walking pace is slower than everyone else.
- No Sense of Direction: Says Word of God. Alluded to in the Valentine's strip when Austria is about to go out to get something for Hungary, and Germany tells him that he won't be able to come get him if he gets lost. Austria decides to make something with his own hands instead.
- Again alluded to in Hetalia Bloodbath 2010 when he gets lost looking for the phone that's just in the next room.
- Not So Stoic: He does have considerable control over his emotions. But even he has certain limits.
- Playing Cyrano: In the Valentine's strip, Germany asks him for help and advice on dealing with Italy.
- Princely Young Man: Of the Ice King type with a bit of Yamato Nadeshiko. He's described often as a 'young master' type of character.
- Purely Aesthetic Glasses: Word of God says he's wearing glasses because he looks rather plain without them. The Art Evolution, however, has hit him particularly hard.
- Purple Eyes
- Real Men Wear Pink: He sees himself as highly cultured, enjoys gardening and seems to be better at making pastries than actually fighting. And that's not counting the corset in Hetalia Bloodbath 2011. This is in turn in contrast to Hungary.
- Relationship Voice Actor: See Hungary.
- Shipper on Deck: Ships Germany/North Italy in the Buon San Valentino strips.
- Supreme Chef: Austria in more recent chapters and blog posts is implied to be this.
- Team Dad: To The Clan.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome
- Understanding Boyfriend: While he's concerned for Hungary's well-being, in the end he knows that if she wants to fight, he'd better let her... since she will go One Woman Army and destroy the enemy. Considering their childhood, he knows it firsthand!
- Vestigial Empire: He may no longer be a high and mighty Empire (and he sure misses it). But that hasn't stopped him from acting as though he still is one.
- Victorious Childhood Friend: Towards Hungary. Even when she used to pick on him.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: He's TERRIFIED of sea creatures according to a Drama CD where he freaks out twice from Italy's catches, once over a crab and once over a sea star.
Prussia - Gilbert Beilschmidt
Mission Complete! Praise me! Hail me! On your knees!
Voiced by: Atsushi Kousaka (JP), Jonathan Brooks (EN)
"I really wanna make an appearance. One that will burn the memory of my existence into their hearts."
- Badass Adorable
- Badass Cape: During the Maria Theresa story arc.
- Badass Long Robe: Wears black one while being the Monastic State of The Teutonic Knights.
- Basement Dweller: Pretty much stated to have become one in modern times, via author notes:
"Now he lives as a good-for-nothing at Germany's house and as an exclave in Russia!"
- Beam Me Up, Scotty - Never Live It Down: He never said anything about "vital regions". Others did it (namely: Austria, Spain, Lithuania, and Hungary)
- Beneath the Mask: Pretends to be an arrogant jerk, but really he's just lonely.
- Berserk Button: Prussia seems to have a number of these, such as words that sound like Mark.
- Big Brother Mentor: He's supposed to be this to Germany. Even though he doesn't really accomplish his job.
- He had better results with America, though. Sort of.
- Bi the Way: Has had some "moments" with Hungary, and is apparently interested in Italy. Not to mention there's the Foe Yay with Austria...
- Blatant Lies: He's so happy being alone! And no, he's absolutely not bitter at the sight of couples filling the street around him!
- Blood Knight: He was created to attack and enslave all the other characters here and that's all he lives for.
- Boisterous Bruiser: According to himself he likes fighting, eating, sleeping and Old Fritz. Is almost always seen with a big grin on his face.
- Break the Haughty: Whenever he tries to conquer and enslave others, even if he succeds, he'll be knocked off that pedestal VERY soon.
- Broken Ace: Subverted by the fact that he really isn't great at everything, he just thinks he is.
- Butt Monkey: Rarely survives an appearance without ending up as the butt of a joke.
- Celibate Hero: Part of the package of being a Teutonic Knight. Then, he demands that Poland let him touch his balls.
- Chivalrous Pervert: As mentioned below, Prussia talks big, but when it comes to actually seeing his childhood "friend" Hungary pretty much naked, he freaks out.
- Corner of Woe: Prussia has an Altar of Woe.
- Cute Bruiser
- Cute but Cacophonic: The laughter is only a beginning. In the Anime he even drinks beer while making annoying and strange sounds.
- Cuteness Proximity: "Gilbird!"
- Daddy's Girl: Or boy, to Fritz.
- Subordinate Excuse: If we want it romantic. And yup, it's a popular match-up in fanon.
- Death Fic: Often gets them, as because of his dissolution it's rather likely he'll die some time in the near future.
- Deceased Parents Are the Best- Fritz was like a father to him. And he's dead. So…
- Diary: over 250,000 entries long, if he's really written in it every day. That was a pretty impressive library he opened up...
- Determinator: He has survived many disasters that could have killed some other nation-tan, or at least reduced them into insignificance. When whatever he is currently representing gets offed for good, he simply reshapes himself into something new and eventually makes a comeback. And through his darkest times he keeps up his highs spirits. One could argue that while he isn't as awesome as he thinks he is, his true Badassness is his hellbent refusal to go down and die.
- Doting Big Brother: To Germany.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: To America during the American Revolution.
- Dueling Scar: The female version has such a scar.
- As does his cat version. One wonders if Himaruya regrets not giving him one too.
- East Germany: Might have become this after WW 2... or perhaps not. See the discussion page.
- Evil Albino: Less evil and more jerk, though.
- Evil Laugh: He's fufufu'd in his time.
- Fleeting Passionate Hobbies
- For the Evulz: On Valentine's and Xmas he realizes just how lonely he is...so this calls for Ship Sinking.
- Glory Seeker
- Hidden Depths: Yes, really. According to Word of God his true nature is serious, methodical and severe.
- Hot-Blooded: Even after his dissolution.
- Large Ham: "PRAISE HIM!", indeed.
- I Just Want to Be Badass: He's willingly to do anything to become strong.
- It's All About Me: To the point of being a Narcissist.
- Japanese Pronouns: He uses Ore-sama to refer to himself. That says a LOT.
- Jerkass: Played for laughs.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Towards West, of course.
- Keet: Rather hilariously, as he seems to believe himself to be Rated "M" for Manly.
- Kick the Dog: Can be quite cruel to Austria.
- Pet the Dog: Has also worried about and spent time with said aristocrat.
- Light Is Not Good: His The Teutonic Knights uniform was white, and his flag is white with narrow black stripes.
- Loners Are Freaks: He claims that he enjoys being alone, but evidence says that he doesn't enjoy not having friends.
- A Man Is Not a Virgin: Subverted! He is a Teutonic Knight so he musn't have sex.
- After becoming secularized he seems to have dropped his chasteness. Though we're let to understand he's not very succesful in courting anyone, so for all we know he could still be a virgin.
"The spot next to me is always open!"
- Men Don't Cry: Oh surely they do. Prussia breaks down in tears rather often, but mostly manages to pull off some sort of Manly Tears. While insisting things like
"I'm so happy to be alone it makes me cry!"
- Mugging the Monster: Oh Prussia, it really isn't a good idea to pick fights with the resident Psychopathic Manchild, especially when he's gonna seize control of you in the future...
- Muscles Are Meaningless: Apparently he is stronger than Germany!
- Mysterious Past: Usually with Hetalia you can pretty much read each character's life story from Wikipedia. But this nation-tan character is more or less artifically created, as one cannot draw a clear line from The Teutonic Knights to the kingdom of Prussia, let alone from there to East Germany. (If he ever even becomes East Germany. In his latest bio he is hinted to be Kaliningrad.) Therefore much of his life is left for Canon Fodder.
- Nice Hat: He actually wears the legendary/notorious Pickelhaube in the Austro-Prussian War preview.
- His 18th Century tricorne is pretty sweet, too.
- The Nicknamer: To some extend. West, Old Fritz, the Aristocrat, Four-Eyes, Specs, the Pervert...
- No Social Skills: Used for comedic purposes. His usual method of dealing with people is annoy them and see what happens.
"Alright! It's fun to poke that aristocrat and see his reaction!"
- Non-Human Sidekick: Gilbird, a small yellow bird flying around him and perching on his head or shoulder.
- OOC Is Serious Business: As he usually keeps up his grin even when he's feeling miserable or insecure, when he gets serious something big is going on. Most notably did this while Hungary came into accepting she's a female.
- Please Put Some Clothes On: at the sight of a teenaged Hungary with her tunic ripped, he blushes intensely and later hands her his own cape. I can hear the Prussia/Hungary shippers squealing from here.
- Psychotic Smirk: His more usual smile.
- Pure Awesomeness: Subverted. For all his claims, he just thinks he is.
- Raised by Dudes: Hinted by Hungary in one comic, mentioning how Prussia was "surrounded only by men" since birth.
- All the other characters are nations by birth, and have grown up representing normal people of both genders leading normal lives from the cradle to the grave. For a long time Prussia represented nothing but already grown-up males leading militaric, ascetic life style.
- Real Men Love Jesus: As a child.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: With Germany. They even have red eyes and blue eyes, respectively.
- Religious Bruiser: As a kid.
- Skinship Grope: To Hungary, though he thought she was male at the time. That she is female is from then on abundantly clear.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Boasts about his skills and hot blood, but often ends up beaten.
- Smug Snake: He'd want to be a Magnificent Bastard, but all too often he can't quite pull it off.
- Soulsaving Crusader
"Convert the nonbeliever!"
" Prussia around this time was really ghastly in a lot of ways, huh."
- Spell My Name with an "S": There is a speculation for the spelling of his surname for either "Weillschmidt" or "Beilschmidt". However, Beilschmidt is considered the more correct spelling by most fans, since it is an actual German name unlike Weillschmidt.
- Spoiled Brat: According to Word of God, he turned out the way he is because when he was a child, The Pope let him do what ever he wished. Could be a case of Parental Neglect too, if The Pope just didn't care about what he was doing.
- Stepford Smiler
"I enjoy being lonely!"
- The Strategist: Learns his Strategy-fu from Old Fritz, and is later shown teaching it to Germany. It's necessary for him, as he's not the nation blessed with the largest of population, or the most advantageous of geography.
- Suspiciously Specific Implausible Claim: He's incabable of admitting he's feeling any kind of weakness, sadness or fear.
- The Teutonic Knights: The fact that Prussia was formed from an armed wing of the Catholic Church tells you everything about him you need to know. Canonically he's both this and later Prussia.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: Once in a while he has good times with the other nations instead of being left alone.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Beer, beer, beer!
- Training from Hell: He does this on America during the American Revolution, where he forces him to do push ups while he whips him with a riding crop.
Author's Note: Prussian-style is extremely harsh. Training → Abuse → Training → Abuse
- Undying Loyalty: Said to be very loyal to his bosses, and shown to still be very fond of Old Fritz's memory.
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: Many fanworkers are fond of making him one of these in regards to Hungary. He can also switch to Victorious Childhood Friend when written/drawn as a "second option" for her (in either a Slap Slap Kiss or The Masochism Tango way), if Hungary is not paired up with Austria.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With France. The whole Spain/France/Prussia friendship started out as Fanon, and was given Sure Why Not treatment by Himaruya.
- Warrior Monk: Was born as one.
- What Could Have Been: He was initially to have long hair and facial characteristics more like Poland, as well as being more mature.
- White-Haired Pretty Boy: Has the looks, but not the aloofness.
What's with that scary faces, come celebrate Christmas with us!
- Alcohol-Induced Idiocy: Him and his mercenary army getting drunk en masse during war. America doesn't fail to use the opportunity.
- An Asskicking Christmas: He's in for one, thanks to his love of long and drunken Christmas celebrations.
- Badass Long Hair
- Boisterous Bruiser: Seems like one by his first appearance.
- Determinator: According to Prussia, Germany inherited his stubborness from him, Hesse and Saxony.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Has an impressive scar running over his right eye.
- Hired Guns: Works as one during the American Revolution.
The right to the throne is mine!
- Sibling Rivalry: If Real Life is anything to go by, he and Prussia should have the worst of relationship. (Notice how Prussia sometimes refers to himself as "North German" instead of "German".) Referenced briefly to in Prussia's character song. Historically he's this to both Prussia and Austria, and sometimes played their own rivarly for his own ends.
- Spiky Hair
- The Wrongful Heir to the Throne: Insist during the War of the Austrian Succession he should have the rule of the Holy Roman Empire, currently held by the Austrian Habsburgs.
- Determinator: According to Prussia, Germany inherited his stubborness from him, Hesse and Saxony.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy
- Strong Family Resemblance: To his ancestor Germania.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Has a few brief cameos here and there, the first one being already in the original Chibitalia story, but fades away only to be later mentioned by Prussia.