Jump to navigation Jump to search
Since Tropes Are Flexible, they can be taken to various degrees. This is about taking them to degrees much higher than typical, often to ridiculous extremes.
Contrast Downplayed Trope.
Examples of Exaggerated Trope include:
- Speaking of Power Levels, Dragon Ball would occasionally switch to a new system of power measurement, likely to avert doing this.
- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann does this with (what else?) Humongous Mecha.
- There're Gag Boobs, and then there's Eiken Boobs.
- Mahou Sensei Negima exaggerates quite a bunch of tropes, such as School Festival and BFS.
- Monster does this to Self-Made Orphan and arguably Complete Monster; growing up, Johan Liebert killed at least five sets of foster parents.
- Strawberry Panic exaggerates Schoolgirl Lesbians.
- Queen's Blade exaggerates Fan Service!
- Sayonara, Zetsubou-sensei exaggerates social commentary by making the eponymous teacher prone to committing suicide over everything that is not right about society.
- Tangled exaggerates the Frying Pan of Doom. At the end of the movie, frying pans are made the official weapon of the town guards.
- Starship Troopers : Any tropes about war, army, etc...
Literature[edit | hide]
- The House of Leaves is much, much Bigger on the Inside.
- Lots of characters suffer from Parental Abandonment, but Rincewind's mother "ran away before he was born." This is never explained, because it is unexplainable.
- Dulcinea del Toboso is a Shadow Archetype that Don Quixote imagined from a peasant girl called Aldonza Lorenzo. She represents for him all that is lovable about a woman without any of the defects of a real person, emboding the Shallow Love Interest. (Nobody is more shallow than a shadow).
- H.P. Lovecraft does this with Puny Earthlings trope
- The Planet's Revenge in Judas Unchained is this for Weather of War
- Warhammer 40,000: In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only GRIMDARKness turned up to 40,000!
- Exalted exaggerates... well.. as many tropes as it's (super-)humanly possible to put in a heroic fantasy. To not exaggerate the length of this page we suggest you to head on to its works page.
Video Games[edit | hide]
- Disgaea does this with Character Levels, including going literally Over Nine Thousand.
- Fate/stay night does this with Earn Your Happy Ending. Shirou goes through hell, literally at one point, to get to the true ending of Heaven's Feel.
- Mega Man Battle Network = Everything Is Online. No, everything. That doghouse out front, too. And the squirrel statue.
- Okami does this with Friend to All Living Things, cranking up Amaterasu's animal magnetism far beyond "fuzzy woodland creatures love her" to reach "flowers literally bloom wherever she walks."
- Olympus Mons is pretty much the main idea with the Mega Ten games.
- As shown above, the hairstyle of Rival Schools' Yurika Kirishima takes Princess Curls to a ridiculous level.
- Touhou Soccer demonstrates this with Absurdly Sharp Blade by having Youmu cut the moon in half with her katana.
- In Dragon Age 2, the silly dialogue got this treatment.
- The Binding of Isaac does this with Disc One Final Boss, True Final Boss, Disc One Final Dungeon, and Very Definitely Final Dungeon. In your first playthrough, the Depths 2 is the final dungeon and Mom is the final boss. In your next nine playthroughs, the Womb 2 is the final dungeon and Mom's Heart is the final boss, demoting the Depths 2 and Mom to Disc One Final Dungeon/Boss. For all those playing before the Halloween update, after the tenth playthrough, Mom's Heart would get replaced with True Final Boss It Lives, making Mom's Heart effectively a Disc Two Final Boss, though you never get to fight it again, although It Lives is just an upgraded Mom's Heart. After the Halloween Update, a new floor, Sheol, is in the game as the new Very Definitely Final Dungeon, with Satan as the new True Final Boss, making The Womb 2 a Disc 2 Final Dungeon and It Lives the Disc Three Final Boss. Oh, and there's going to be another expansion that will proceed to DEMOTE SHEOL AND SATAN, AS WELL.
Web Comics[edit | hide]
- A lot of the Disney Princess artwork really loves to crank up Everything's Better with Sparkles.
- The Hilariously Abusive Childhood of Doctor Doofenshmirtz's Multiple Choice Past from Phineas and Ferb: "It all started when I was born. Neither of my parents showed up." He had to pretend to be a lawn gnome after theirs was repossessed, he had to wear dresses, he wasn't allowed to go swimming in public pools, his father preferred the dog and named it "Only Son" and he was abandoned and raised by ocelots.
- Then there's Phineas and Ferb's Homemade Inventions - they think nothing of building a mountain ski resort in their backyard, a rollercoaster that spans the city or two spacecraft and mission control with a free morning, and Candace's inevitable case of It Was Here, I Swear: whatever it is, and however much of a mess it should leave behind, everything vanishes without trace by the time she tries to show their parents.