There once was a man named Gold Roger, who was king of the pirates! He had fame, wealth, and power beyond your wildest dreams! Before they hung him from the gallows, these were the final words he said:
—from the 4Kids! opening.
In a world of endless oceans and strange, exotic islands, a Golden Age of Piracy has arisen following the demise of the infamous "Pirate King", Gold Roger.
Pirates from across the globe are searching for Roger's ultimate treasure—known as One Piece—said to be hidden somewhere in the Grand Line, the most dangerous and unpredictable stretch of ocean in the world.
One Piece, a ridiculously popular manga by Eiichiro Oda which has also been adapted into an Anime, movies, image songs and so on; considered one of the most popular manga created and translated in history, with over 32,343,809 copies sold in 2010 alone. Over 650 chapters have been published since the series' beginning in 1997.
This is the story of Monkey D. Luffy, an ambitious yet kind and rather dense young man who has eaten the Gum-Gum Fruit, turning him into a Rubber Man. He dreams of following in the footsteps of his childhood hero, Captain "Red-Haired" Shanks, by becoming a great pirate. In fact, he plans to find One Piece and become the new "Pirate King". To that end, he has assembled one of the strongest (not to mention weirdest) crews in the world, consisting of:
- Roronoa Zoro: Probably the first mate. A cool, lazy, green-haired former Bounty Hunter with an impossibly bad sense of direction and super strength, who is the creator of the Santoryu (three sword style), carrying one in each hand and one in his mouth. Proves wise at times, and questionably insane at others. His goal is to become the world's greatest swordsman by defeating Dracule "Hawk Eye" Mihawk.
- Nami: A sly, spunky female thief, master manipulator, and outstanding navigator who dreams of making a map of the entire world. She's quite greedy and obsessed with cash, often conning other characters, even her own crew mates. Possesses an instinctive ability to predict the weather that borders on the supernatural, which later becomes the basis of her combat techniques.
- Usopp: A long-nosed, cowardly sharpshooter with a penchant for bragging and telling tall tales. He dreams of becoming a great warrior of the sea, much like his father, with the side goal of visiting Elbaf, an island of giants and a "warrior's paradise".
- Sanji: The sharp-dressed, snarky, girl-crazy, chain-smoking chef of the crew. Master of the Black Leg technique, with kicks strong enough to shatter boulders into dust, and possesses hidden intelligence. He dreams of finding the All Blue, a sea where the four "regular" seas (not counting the Grand Line) converge, which therefore holds every species of fish in the world.
- Tony Tony Chopper: A young, naive, and adorable reindeer who consumed the Human-Human Fruit, giving him sapience and a humanoid form. After a series of mishaps, was adopted by quack doctor Hililuk (and later mentored by grand doctor Kureha), becoming an expert doctor. He joined the Straw Hats to fulfill his dreams of becoming a doctor that can cure any disease, and to become his own man.
- Nico Robin: Unflappable mystery lady, archaeologist, former agent/assassin of Baroque Works who ate the Flower-Flower Fruit, and is the only survivor of Ohara, who has been ruthlessly hunted by the World Government since childhood. She dreams of finding the Rio Poneglyph, an enormous stone block that holds the world's "True History".
- Franky: The crew's resident shipwright/cyborg/speedo enthusiast. Powers up on cola and dreams of making an invincible ship that can sail to the edge of the world. Shows his approval through much gesticulating and cries of "SUPER!"
- Brook: A fencing musician skeleton with an afro, a weird sense of humor, an odd obsession with seeing women's panties, and the power to come back from the dead. Once. After he's already decayed to a skeleton. He dreams of reuniting with Laboon, a whale his crew befriended before leaving for the Grand Line, and betrayed by dying before returning to him as promised.
Together, the group of True Companions known as the Straw Hat Pirates travel the world, making their way to and through the Grand Line, facing villainous rival pirates, Marine Forces, and corrupted elements of the World Government.
The big gimmick to the show is that many characters, including Luffy, have consumed a "Devil Fruit". Devil Fruits grant the sole consumer incredible powers, at the cost of the consumer losing the ability to swim. Luffy, for example, has eaten the Rubber-Rubber Fruit, turning him into a Rubber Man that is capable of stretching his body like elastic. The powers granted by the other Devil Fruits are a varied bunch, from producing natural soap to transforming into a giraffe-human hybrid, to becoming a being made of living ice.
It has numerous specific pages:
- Due to its humongous cast, the series has ten character sheets. Here's the index.
- Not to mention that it has its own Awesome, Music, Heartwarming, Tear Jerker, and Funny pages.
- The tenth movie, Strong World, now has its own page.
- Plus its very own podcast.
- Now finally has its own spinoff!
- And its very own wiki.
If you are watching the English dub or haven't read the manga, there are spoilers below.