Yuusuke Godai/Kamen Rider Kuuga
Yuusuke Godai is a carefree, gentle spirit, always willing to help out people. One day, he has a vision of an artifact called the Arcle, and eventually puts it on after the first of the unsealed Grongi attacks. At first, his white Growing Form is dubbed Unidentified Lifeform No. 2 by the police, and his subsequent forms are dubbed Unidentified Lifeform No. 4. As the police learns of his identity, they begin working with Godai.
After seemingly dying at the hands of the mushroom Grongi Me-Ginoga-De, Godai's premonitions combined with Dr Tsubaki's defibrillator awaken a new power in the Amadam, the stone within the Arcle. This unlocks a new level of power, the Rising forms. In his hatred for Go-Jaraji-Da, he channels Ultimate Form, a form powered by anger, as he defeats the Grongi. Eventually, once all the other Grongi are defeated, N-Daguva-Zeba, the Grongi leader, comes and nearly kills Godai, challenging him. Eventually, Godai transforms into Ultimate Form, but firmly under his control, and engages in a brutal battle with Daguva, narrowly winning after both their Amadams were destroyed and reverting into human form.
- All Your Powers Combined: Ultimate form supposedly has this as its own unique power; it can use the weapons of all of Kuuga's forms as well as their abilities (Titan form's strength and durability, Dragon's speed and agility, etc), but since it only has 1 appearance so far, we have yet to see that in action.
- Beware the Nice Ones
- Came Back Strong: After seemingly dying at the hands of the Mushroom Grongi Me-Ginoga-De, he revives with the ability to use Rising forms.
- Chest Insignia: After a certain point, he starts wearing shirts and jackets marked with Kuuga's emblem.
- Cool Bike: The TryChaser 2000 and the BeatChaser 2000.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Kuuga's Amazing Mighty and Ultimate Forms are black with gold, and in the final episodes Yusuke wears a lot of black. He's still as heroic as he ever was, though.
- Dark Is Evil: But, Ultimate Form is perfectly capable of corrupting Yuusuke, so this applies too.
- Destructive Savior: The Rising forms are powerful enough to cause catastrophic explosions; thus Godai and the police work to avoid this by diverting battles to more secluded locations.
- Elemental Powers: Downplayed as Kuuga does not actually invoke the elements themselves (unless otherwise stated). Each of the four forms of Kuuga is themed after an element and implied as such based on in-universe translations of the Linto language. Heck, even Godai's own surname is tied to the five elements.
- Playing with Fire: Mighty Form; fire is invoked when using the Rider Kick. Ultimate Form also allows Kuuga to do this.
- Making a Splash: Dragon Form; the form's color as well as the name of the finisher.
- Blow You Away: Pegasus Form; this one actually uses gusts of wind via weapon.
- Dishing Out Dirt: Titan Form; strong as the earth.
- Eleventh-Hour Superpower: Ultimate Form
- Finishing Move:
- Growing Form: Growing Kick 
- Mighty Form: Mighty Kick 
- Dragon Form: Splash Dragon 
- Rising Dragon Form: Rising Splash Dragon 
- Pegasus Form: Blast Pegasus 
- Rising Pegasus Form: Rising Blast Pegasus 
- Titan Form: Calamity Titan 
- Ultimate Form: Ultimate Mighty Kick 
- TryGouram Attack: Kuuga on the TryGouram rams a Grongi.
- Rising BeatGouram Attack: Body Attack 
- For Happiness
- Mid-Season Upgrade: The Rising forms, and the BeatChaser 2000.
- Multiform Balance
- Joke Character: Growing Form
- Jack of All Stats: Mighty and Rising Mighty Forms.
- Fragile Speedster: Both Dragon Forms.
- Glass Cannon: Both Pegasus Forms.
- Mighty Glacier: Both Titan Forms.
- Lightning Bruiser: Amazing Mighty Form, the strongest pre-final form in Godai's arsenal.
- Super Mode: Ultimate Form
- Super-Powered Evil Side: Black-eyed Ultimate Form
- Serial Escalation: Rising Ultimate Form
- Nice Guy: Probably the ultimate example in Kamen Rider, so much that almost every protagonist after him takes a trait of this to some degree.
- Reluctant Warrior: Hates fighting, but due to the Grongi threat has no choice but to.
- Super Senses: Pegasus Form enhances all of Godai's senses. Unfortunately, these hightened sense are so sensitive that he can only maintain Pegasus for about fifty seconds before he suffers Sensory Overload and is forced to change out of it.
- Weapon of Choice
- Bare-Fisted Monk: Growing Form, all three Mighty Forms and Ultimate Form.
- Simple Staff: Dragon Rod
- Blade on a Stick: Rising Dragon Rod
- The Archer: Pegasus Bowgun
- Automatic Crossbows: Rising Pegasus Bowgun
- Blade of Fearsome Size: Titan Sword and Rising Titan Sword.
- Dual-Wielding: Two Rising Titan Swords used for the Double Rising Calamity Titan attack.
- Kaoru Ichijo
Ichijo is a young police officer from the Nagano police who is assigned to the national police squad dealing with the Unidentified Lifeforms. He uses his influence to eventually help Godai, and eventually the police help Kuuga.
- Sakurako Sawatari
Sakurako is Godai's friend, an archaeologist. She was at first reluctant to help Godai, but she eventually relented. She researches the ancient texts to decipher the mystery of Kuuga and the Grongi.
- Adventurer Archaeologist: Averted, she spends most of her time researching texts rather than going out for adventure.
- Hot Scientist: Although given she mainly researches past languages is probably more of a Hot Librarian.
- Mission Control
- The Smart Guy
- Shuichi Tsubaki
Dr Tsubaki is Godai's doctor, treating his various injuries, and taking notes on the Arcle. He also performs autopsies on Grongi victims, and even on the body of Zu-Gooma-Gu, eventually leading to the conclusion that the Grongi work similarly to Kuuga.
The ruler of the Grongi tribe. He is the first Grongi to be awoken and was the one to revive all 200 of the rest of his tribe (although he slaughtered a large number of them as they were too weak to fight Kuuga). Dubbed Unidentified Life Form 0, Daguba took the form of a young man in white towards the end of the series once Kuuga defeated the Zu, Me and Go tribes. Towards the finale, he attempted to bring about the 'Ultimate Darkness' to turn humans into a violent race like the Grongi. Yuusuke eventually confronted Daguba in the mountains and after cracking each other's belts, were both forced into their human forms where they fought hand-to-hand. In the end, despite dealing Yuusuke a critical blow, Daguba was killed.
- Bare Fisted Monk: Aside from pyrokinesis, he seems to prefer using his fists in battle, just like Kuuga.
- Big Bad
- Cross Counter: How his slugfest with Godai ended, with both of them forced into their human forms!
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: Maybe unintentional, but during his last stand with Godai, he ends up punching his belt, the source of his powers, and breaking it. Godai naturally does the same to him.
- Famous Last Words: "You've became it, didn't you? Someone who possesses ultimate power."
- Evil Counterpart: To Kuuga's Ultimate Form, to the point where they have the same powers.
- Laughing Mad: Especially in the Battride War series and when he dies.
- Light Is Not Good: In direct contrast to Kuuga Ultimate Form's Dark Is Not Evil.
- Man in White: To the point of glowing.
- Playing with Fire
- The Rose-Tattooed Woman/Ra-Baruba-De
The "judge" of the Grongi's game. She is clad in black, and offers rose petals to her fellow Grongi as some kind of symbolic gesture. Ultimately killed by Kaoru Ichijo with the Nerve-Breaking Bullets.
- The Baroness: Looks like a sexpot but acts mainly like a Rosa Klebb.
- Blood From the Mouth
- Never Found the Body
- Something About a Rose
- The Spock: For the grongi
The Bat Grongi of the Zu tribe. First appearing in Episode 2, Gooma was disguised as a priest and resided in a church where he preyed on his victims during the night due to his photophobia. After his first battle with Kuuga, Gooma lost the right to continue participating in the Gegeru and was unable to advance in rank. He mostly hung around the Rose-Tattooed Woman looking for any chance to rejoin the game but being shot down each time. Eventually, he discovered pieces of Daguba's body and ingested them to gain a power-up. This allowed him to overcome his photophobia and even provided him enough strength to succesfully square of against Kuuga's Titan form. Eventually, while attempting to usurp Daguba, Gooma was killed by the Grongi leader although his body was eventually used to develop anti-Grongi bullets.
Gooma was one of the longest lasting Grongi, surviving the Zu tribe, the Me tribe, and all but the final three members of the Go tribe.
- Butt Monkey
- Meaningful Name: Gooma is taken from the Japanese for fiend.
- Not So Harmless: After his power ups, everyone has to take him seriously.
- Other Grongi
- Acting for Two: The same guy plays both Zu-Baduu-Ba's and Go-Badaa-Ba's human forms.
- Everything's Worse with Bees: Me-Badjisu-Ba.
- Everything's Even Worse with Sharks: Go-Jaaza-Gi; in fact she is one of the three strongest Go class, with the ability to change forms.
- Evil Counterpart: Along with Daguba, both Go-Badaa-Ba and Go-Gadoru-Ba parallel Kuuga in different ways. Badaa, like Kuuga, is a Badass Biker whose animal tattoo just so happens to be the motif of the first Kamen Rider. Gadoru, as the leader of the Go Tribe, is able to change between forms, five in total, each paralleling one of Kuuga's base four forms and his Rising form. It also helps that his animal motif is a rhinoceros-beetle.
- Eye Scream: Zu-Mebio-Da is shot in the eye by police, with bloody results.
- Hollywood Acid: Go-Zazaru-Ba's scorpion venom.
- Kiss of Death: Me-Ginoga-De's killing method. Nearly kills Godai.
- A Load of Bull: Go-Baberu-Da is one of the top three Go class; he can even wreck Titan form's armor.
- Mythology Gag: Go-Badaa-Ba is a grasshopper-based Grongi with a red scarf and a bike. To a lesser extent, Zu-Baduu-Ba is reminiscent of the yellow-scarved Shocker Riders.
- Palette Swap: Go-Badaa-Ba and Zu-Baduu-Ba; both are grasshopper-based Grongi with minor design differences, the most prominent of which is the color of their scarves.
- Piranha Problem: Me-Biran-Gi.
- Prickly Porcupine: Go-Jaraji-Da. Subversion in that his game is one of the more brutal ones.
- Rhino Rampage: Zu-Zain-Da.
- Sinister Scythe: Used by Me-Garima-Ba.
- A kick with a third of Mighty Kick's power.
- A powerful kick. Kuuga spins in midair to grant additional power.
- A more powerful version powered up by the Mighty Anklet. Can level city blocks.
- An even more powerful version powered up by two Mighty Anklets.
- A strike with the Dragon Rod's tip.
- A strike with the Rising Dragon Rod's bladed tip.
- An arrow fired from the Pegasus Bowgun.
- Three arrows fired from the Rising Pegasus Bowgun.
- Kuuga stabs with the Titan Sword.
- A more powerful version of the Calamity Titan.
- After Kuuga summons a second Rising Titan Sword.
- A Rider Kick said to be so insanely strong, it could cause an Earthshattering Kaboom if used at full power! Obviously, this attack is only mentioned, never shown.
- A more powerful version ramming attack, used by BeatGouram powered up with Rising energy.
- They (along with Amazing Mighty) technically hold no real weakness or strengths unlike the other forms of Kuuga, and holds traits belonging to them to a lessor extent.
- They're much faster than the other forms of Kuuga and can jump over buildings with ease, but their actual punching and kicking strength are lessor than Mighty and Titan forms.
- They can shoot projectiles with frightening speed and accuracy, but they're vulnerable to loud sounds and can be defeated by few direct attacks.
- They have a powerful combo of armor and strength, but they lack the agility provided by the other forms to fight efficiently beyond just take and dish back.
- It's implied he has this in the final episode of Kamen Rider Wizard, when all the riders regain their powers and turned into their Super Mode transformations, Kuuga turned into Rising Ultimate Form, even though said form never appeared in Battride War 2.