"The voice of the internet -- news before it happens"
The next step in a meme's spread after 4chan, Reddit is a very large news aggregator similar to Digg or Fark. Its structure is based around "subreddits", separate topic-specific aggregators which can be easily created.
Birthplace and center of worship for the Dark Lord Inglip.
It is more addictive than All The Tropes. Don't believe us? Here, try it for yourself. But don't say we didn't warn you.
- As You Know: Either TIL threads (Today I Learned) will be genuinely informative, or something that's already common knowledge.
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: This post:
If you go on the goddamn internet it will still be "Did you check the weather/mail/bank account/for missing children/on whatever cause she presently is interested in?"
- Development Gag: Reddit was originally going to be called "Snoo" as in "what's new?". Obviously, this didn't happen, but the little white alien mascot ended up being named Snoo.
- Dirty Cop: Cops are one of Reddit's Acceptable Professional Targets. There isn't a day that goes by without a YouTube video being posted of a cop chokeholding or bodyslamming someone. It's enough to turn the most strident law-and-order hardliner into an anarchist.
- Erudite Stoner: r/StonerPhilosophy. At times.
- Even the Guys Want Him: If a photo of a sufficiently attractive male appears, there will be several comments about going gay for him. Times that by about 200 for Ridiculously Photogenic Guy [dead link]
- Food Porn: r/FoodPorn and r/DessertPorn.
- Going Mobile: An official app, so one will have reddit on the go.
- Gun Porn: r/GunPorn, although it has very few users.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Every other day, Reddit launches an Internet Counterattack somewhere.
- Hive Mind: A Running Gag says that most members are part of one.
- Hitler Ate Sugar: One of the "Stop using ad blockers" jokes.
- Hypocritical Humor: Commonly used by r/circlejerk, a Self-Parody subreddit, when pointing out Reddit's hypocrisies.
"Hot girl posting on reddit? Upvoted! Oh wait you're not very attractive? REDDIT IS NOT YOUR FACEBOOK!!"
- Hollywood Atheist: Quite a few of the posters in r/atheism come across like this, as mentioned under The Scrappy in the YMMV tab.
- Internet Counterattack: Has perpetrated quite a few of these, to the point where Reddit had to forbid posting personal information on the site.
- Reddit was also the catalyst for the SOPA/PIPA protests.
- The Internet Is for Porn: The large selection of NSFW subreddits.
- It Will Never Catch On/This Is Going to Be Huge: Much of the humor in their 2012 April Fool's Day time-travel joke relies on this.
- Metaphorgotten: "The two party system is like having two parents that pretend to be divorced, but have three-ways with the same corporations."
- Nietzsche Wannabe: The comment threads are full of them.
- Nightmare Fetishist: The denizens of r/creepy and r/nosleep.
- Non-Indicative Name: The "SFW Porn" group of subreddits, which unanimously refer to "porn" in the Scenery Porn sense, i.e. pretty photos. Gets especially awkward with r/HumanPorn (which does occasionally have artful nudes) and r/AnimalPorn.
- Orphaned Punchline: Take Simon's Cat, strip out the buildup and convert it to a gif, and see the result.
- Overly Long Gag: Pun threads and "No, you're thinking of __" threads tend to devolve into these.
- Overly Narrow Superlative: This thread regarding Junior.
- Pass the Popcorn: The logo for r/subredditdrama, which, as the name suggests, records the various instances of Internet Backdraft on the site. Popcorn is also frequently mentioned in the posts.
- Police Brutality: The reason Reddit hates cops, as noted above.
- Political Correctness Gone Mad: The very likely reason why it never became a proper successor to 4chan. We're not talking about race or sexuality like many forums. In Reddit you can be banned for making fat jokes, manifesting pro-cop sentiment, manifesting basically anything but desire to vote for the next democratic candidate, liking Lolicon, liking Shotacon, or even enjoying fanart of characters whose are ages under 18 or even look underage. Gotta protect those imaginary children. Despite the quote on top being about Post Modernism, 4chan's heavy, heavy hostility to Reddit was likely caused by the mid-2010s changes which involved those bans, sending an ungodly amount of refugees right to their alley. Reddit lacks any freedom except the freedom to make fun of skinny straight men these days.
- Rank Inflation: r/trees has a number scale to indicate how high the poster is. The problem is that unlike 420chan's number scale, it's subjective (i.e.  is the highest the poster has ever been, as opposed to adhering to certain objective symptoms). The r/trees FAQ acknowledges that most  posts are exaggerations. Some posters have suggested  or similar to actually refer to being that ridiculously high, but they are quickly shot down.
- Ruined FOREVER: The examples of this sentiment being expressed are...numerous.
"Today I learned that the first comment on reddit was a complaint that reddit was going downhill"
- Sarcastic Confession: This treecomic and its comments.
- Scenery Gorn: r/DestructionPorn.
- Scenery Porn: r/EarthPorn, r/CityPorn, r/SpacePorn, and r/waterporn.
- Self-Deprecation: Very common among posters.
- Spiritual Successor: Reddit can be seen as one to UseNet, especially its alt.* hierarchy.
- Straw Feminist: A lot of posters in r/shitredditsays come across like this.
- The Stoner: r/trees.
- Technology Porn: r/MachinePorn and r/GeekPorn.
- The Tetris Effect: Try to remember that most other sites don't let you upvote/downvote.
- There Are No Girls on the Internet: 86.7% of the site is male.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Bacon.
- Troll: Many subreddits are full of these. It's usually best to assume that "I Am A" and "Ask Me Anything" posts are fake until proven otherwise; as you can imagine the idea is such a lure for trolls.
- Trust Password: IamA and AMA posters are encouraged to verify their authenticity by submitting photos with a timestamp.
- Unknown Rival: Most of 4chan deeply despises Reddit, to the point where they've made hundreds of fake versions of Reddit's rage comics to troll themselves with. However, the hatred is generally one-sided. This trope has been defied by now, with Reddit's subs over 4chan hitting the front page and the user base showing deep dislike, to not say wanting it banned off the Internet for allowing politically incorrect content that goes against left-wing beliefs.
- Visual Pun: The banner image for their Hentai subreddit? A hen...Tai.
- What Do You Mean It Wasn't Made on Drugs?: Played straight with r/bakedart and r/TreesSketchbook.
- The Wiki Rule: Trusted users can write on the Integrated wiki.
- A Worldwide Punomenon: Entire threads of puns are not uncommon. Example.