Characters from the novel and the anime series Another.
- 1 Main characters
- 2 Relatives
- 3 Class 3-A
- 4 Others
Voiced by: Atsushi Abe
Originally from Tokyo, 14-year old Kouichi is forced to transfer to his mother's hometown of Yomiyama, at least for the duration of his father's trip to India. While confined because of a collapsed lung in the local hospital, he experiences a chance encounter with a strange girl, an event that foreshadows that things aren't quite right in the town, specifically in the school he eventually enrolls in.
- Bad Dreams: He has a couple.
- Berserk Button: Do not even think about hurting or blaming Mei Misaki, even if it's for the curse. If you do, he will do all he can to protect her. Even if you come at him with a knife.
- Bishonen: More so in the anime.
- Blood-Splattered Innocents: In Episodes 7 and 11. Poor Kouichi.
- Break the Cutie: Whenever he watches someone die, which is often since most of the deaths happen in front of him. Episode 3 was the worst so far.
- Brutal Honesty: Even though Izumi is dying in front of him and asks if he remembers their first meeting, instead of lying and letting her die happy, Kouichi just says 'no'. Izumi even lampshades this trope before she dies.
- Determinator: He takes a lot of damage in Episodes 11 and 12, but it doesn't stop him from trying to find and protect Mei.
- Famous-Named Foreigner: The novel explains this more.
- The Hero
- I Will Protect Her: Strongly hinted to be this in Episode 10 towards Mei. Confirmed in Episode 11.
- Missing Mom: His mother died after she gave birth to him.
- Nice Guy
- Ordinary High School Student: Or is he?
- Red Oni: To Mei's Blue.
- Secret Keeper:To Reiko and Miss Mikami being the same person. Made obvious early on in the manga and original novel, but only revealed in the last episode of the anime.
- Took a Level in Badass: In Episode 11, he protects Mei Misaki from his entire Ax Crazy class, alone.
- And took a direct knee hit to the crotch before disarming the perpetrator.
- Unlucky Everydude
- Would Hit a Girl: If it means protecting Mei from being killed then he'll do it.
- You Leave Her Alone: Kouichi says something similar to this to Izumi in Episode 10, when she tried to place the blame on Misaki Mei. He does it again in Episode 11.
Voiced by: Natsumi Takamori
Quiet and more than a little mysterious, Mei is the strange girl that Kouichi meets one late night at the hospital. This encounter, as well as the strange circumstances surrounding her while at school, prompts Kouichi to try to get to know her. In the process, this gets him involved in uncovering the truth behind class 3-3's dark secret.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Seems to be the only reason why she's become so close to Kouichi.
- Blue Oni: To Kouichi's Red.
- Broken Bird: Because the death of her sister Misaki. Before that she was a cute and happy girl. She even dressed in puffed colorful dresses.
- Came Back Wrong: Sugiura doesn't remember Misaki having an eyepatch in elementary school and comes to believe that Misaki is the extra student with this trope to account for her left eye.
- Dandere: When she's around Kouichi she shows a new side of her that even he seems to find cute.
- Death Glare: She flashes Izumi a brief one when Izumu blames her for the Calamity.
- Emotionless Girl
- Eye Scream: In the manga she's stabbed in her fake eye by Akazawa.
- Eyepatch of Power
- Family Relationship Switcheroo
- The Gadfly: She has a habit of messing with people be it deliberate or unintentional. She scared Kouichi by making thing he was talking to a doll replica of her and made Teshigawara panic when she implied he could be the dead student.
- I See Dead People
- Incest Subtext: At least in the anime with her cousin/twin sister Misaki. Intertwined Fingers, feeding each other...
- Mismatched Eyes: Under that eyepatch.
- Misunderstood Loner with a Heart of Gold
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast
- Nice Girl: She may be creepy at times, but she's actually really nice. Just ask Kouichi.
- The Quiet One
- The Stoic: Nothing much fazes her.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Subverted; she seems to be sinister at first but she's actually quite nice.
- Violently Protective Girlfriend: YMMV on the girl friend part, but when she finds out
- When She Smiles: She seems to smile a lot when she gets closer to Kouichi.
Kouichi's father, a professor currently abroad in India due to research-related work. Kouichi's transfer to Yomiyama was prompted partly because this fact. He periodically keeps in touch with his son via calls to Kouichi's cellphone.
- Catch Phrase: "Hey son! You'll never believe how hot India is right now!"
- Disappeared Dad: Not really, but as mentioned he was overseas when the events of the story occur.
- The Unseen
- Foreshadowing: His talks with Kouichi over the course of the series indirectly provides hints related to the events surrounding class 3-3's situation, particularly concerning the supposed irregularities related to the "Phenomenon".
Voiced By: Naoko Sakakibara
Kouichi's aunt, Reiko is an alumnus of the school that Kouchi transfers into, and was even part of class 3-3 at one point. As such she has first-hand experience about what exactly is going on, but is hesitant to reveal any details about it.
- Bottle Fairy
- Dead All Along: She is the dead person in Class 3, rather than any of the students.
- Drives Like Crazy: A mild example in episode 8.
- Killed Off for Real
- Mama Bear As Miss Mikami, she shields Mei from one of many students Takako sent after when she thought Mei was the Extra. This comes back to bite her when it turns out Reiko is the extra.
- Name's the Same: Her full name is similar to a certain Ghost Sweeper Mikami... In a bit of irony, this Reiko is very much dead.
- Parental Substitute: Both the novel and the manga mention that Reiko wants to be like this to Kouichi. Not so in the anime, however.
- Laser Guided Amnesia: She seems to develop a lapse in memory repeating the same greeting to Kouichi, when he enters the doll shop twice. This hints that she may have some form of dementia.
- Bishonen: In the manga. The anime gives him a more masculine design.
- Dogged Nice Guy: To Akazawa.
- Dumb Jock: He's said to like sports, and that his school grades aren't very good.
- Heterosexual Life Partners: With Kazami, and Mochizuki in the anime.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Reacts this way after he thinks he's killed Kazami.
- Nice Guy: He's a little hotheaded at times, but his heart's in the right place.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero:
- In Episode 9, he broke the tape that was supposed to help them stop the curse. Subverted since they were able to fix it later and hear it in full.
- Happens again when he thought that Kazami was the extra and pushed him off the balcony, believing he killed him and causing Kazami to snap.
- Nonuniform Uniform
- Plucky Comic Relief: As much as one can be in a horror story, and even then it wears off as the body count rises.
- Shipper on Deck: For Kouichi and Mei.
- Chekhov's Gunman: In the anime; he's introduced early on, then doesn't show up again until Episode 10 due to being Demoted to Extra.
- Class Representative
- Death by Adaptation
- Demoted to Extra: In the anime. Despite being one of Kouchi's friends and a member of the mystery-solving gang in the manga, he's pretty much sent off-screen right after the beginning of the anime.
- Heterosexual Life Partners: With Teshigawara.
- Killed Off for Real: First thought to be after Teshigawara pushes him off a balcony (a cliff in the manga). Actually happens in the finale of the anime.
- Not Quite Dead: After falling from a two story balcony and being assumed dead he's able to get up and start walking around again with little problem. In the manga at least he suffers a head wound and has to be carried by Teshigawara.
- Sanity Slippage: In the anime, he starts killing off other students in a desperate attempt to find the extra.
- Ship Tease: Episode 12 hints that he might have had affections for Yukari Sakuragi.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady
- Heterosexual Life Partners: With Teshigawara in the anime.
- Hot for Teacher: Apparently has a crush on Ms. Mikami.
- Nice Guy
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: He was the one responsible for letting the countermeasures group listen to Matsunaga's confession, unintentionally leading to the whole school becoming an angry mob against Mei.
- Nightmare Fetishist: A mild version. He likes Edvard Munch's "The Scream" because he feels uneasy when he looks at it.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: When both Mei and Kouichi were non-existence students, they decided to visit the Art Club, since the students were not from Class 3-3 and would talk to them. However Yuuya, the only class 3-3 member other than Mei shows up, he makes it his business to keep the club away from her even though he coulda just left.
- Ascended Extra: She's a very minor character in the original novel.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: She doesn't seem to like Mei, but tends to shoot death glares at Mei when she's around Kouichi.
- Dead Older Brother: In the manga. Anime hints the same, but after different circumstances.
- Girlish Pigtails
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: In the anime.
- Irrational Hatred: She really does not like Mei.
- Killed Off for Real
- Meet Cute: With Kouichi as Episode 10 reveals.
- Sanity Slippage: In the manga and anime she eventually snaps and tries to kill Mei.
- Spared by the Adaptation: In the manga.
- Tall, Dark and Bishoujo
- You guessed it, Kouichi.
- She also seems to be this way towards Naoya Teshigawara.
- Violently Protective Girlfriend: While it's hinted that she'd like to be that with Kouichi, when she was on the hunt for Mei, she smacked Kazami's head in when he was trying to kill Kouichi.
- Yandere: In the manga, she tells Kouichi "I will never let you go." and has shown hints at trying to get Kouichi's attention.
- Ai Nonaka
- Class Representative
- Death by Falling Over: Cruel subversion: Yukari didn't die when she fell down the school stairs, but when she got Impaled with Extreme Prejudice through the neck with the metal tip of her umbrella.
- Killed Off for Real
- Mauve Shirt
- Nice Girl
- Oblivious to Love Kazami has a crush on her, but she's too busy with her crush on Kouichi to notice. Her death is what set Kazami off.
- OOC Is Serious Business: Sakuragi is often a nice girl so when she loudly scolds Kouichi for mentioning Mei Misaki, it's one of the first clues that something isn't quite right with Class 3-3.
- Umbrella of Togetherness
- Ascended Extra: Despite not appearing in the manga, she is existent in the novel, just as a completely minor character whose only role is getting killed. In the anime she's not exactly a prominent character either, but at least she gets some action.
- Ax Crazy
- The Stoic
- Killed Off for Real
- Sanity Slippage
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: You have to give it to her, she decided not to kill Kouichi when given a chance, because she thought he wasn't the dead one.
- Yandere: Episode 11 shows us she's got an... interesting view of her relationship with Izumi.
- The Atoner
- Badass Teacher: The few times he does act he's easily able to disarm and knock down his opponents.
- Big Damn Heroes: Saves Teshigawara and Mochizuki from the insane landlady in Episode 12.
- Cool Old Guy
- Messy Hair: In the anime.
- Put on a Bus: Conveniently Put On A Car during the summer trip's massacre.
- Accidental Murder: Of the dead student in his youth.
- The Alcoholic
- Ascended Extra: His role in the anime is expanded to an actual appearance outside of a flashback and a few more scenes.
- Heroic BSOD: After seeing Nakao die.
- Madness Mantra: Usually relating to how he saved his class and about the object he hid.
=== Tomoka Inose