The Ardygun Family
A family of Trailers (a catch-all term for guys who pretty much do everything in space other that salvage (The Junk Guild's job) and battle) who operates the spaceship Valstork. They're friends with Lowe Gear's crew.
Blessfield "Hawkeye" Ardygun was a former Space Pirate, and had many run-ins with law enforcement agents such as Heinrich Freeman and Kotaro Taiga. At one point, he and Taiga even clashed over the same woman. Bless won.
Bless gave up the life of a Pirate, and they instead became Trailers. They had three daughters (Shihomi, Akane, and Mihiro), and a son (Kazuma, natch).
Unfortunately for Bless, he ended up 'dying' against the Database, sending Kazuma into a Heroic BSOD. However, turns out Bless was from Mars, thus executed a Boson Jump where he is flunged to a VERY VERY distant past (Shortly before the Big Crunch that proceeded this universe's Big Bang) where he created his family legacy machines as well as the Database. He obviously didn't live to see his creations go awry.
- Crazy Prepared He knew that sooner or later that the Database would become a threat to other cultures in the new universe, He created 2 failsafes: The first was to copy himself as Applicant to oversee them, the second was to create Valstork with the ability to combine with the Arm units if 2 of the Database personalities break down.
The main character of Super Robot Wars W (Stands for "Double U", as per the sthick of naming game's subtitles with something near the word "DS"). Kazuma's a Trailer, a type of jack-of-all-trades people in space hire to do various things, and travels around with his family in their big fancy ship Valstork and piloting their Valhawk with cute little sister, Mihiro. Kazuma's extremely hot blooded and determined to help get rid of the common stereotype that Trailers = space pirates by kicking the asses of said space pirates and generally doing good and making a name for himself. They eventually hook up with the GGG and Space Knights in a project to help protect the Earth from a ridiculous number of threats because Kazuma's dad was an old rival of their leaders, and hey, the Valstork's Big Gun is a good thing to have on your side.
Eventually, he and his family are attacked by a girl named Aria Advance and a bunch of stuff happens. His dad goes missing after a Boson jumping accident caused by Detonator Orgun firing his most powerful weapon at Inference, the leader of the Database, after being goaded sufficiently by him, which results in him going into a period of Herioc BSOD and causes him to run away.
After a time skip, a new and much more handsome Kazuma rejoins his family and kicks ass again in their shiny new Combining Mecha. This time with Defectors From Decandence Regulate and Aria, who had outlived their usefulness and were tossed away after failing their masters one too many times, joining them.
As far as mecha goes, he starts out with the Valhawk, and it later combines into the Valguard, and then combines again with Aria's Arm Arcus and Applicant's Arm Stoma into the Valzacard, probably one of the most broken originals in SRW history, on par with the SRX Altered Banpreios. These tropes apply to Kazuma:
- Ancestral Weapon (The Valstork and Valhawk are handed down generation after generation in the Ardygun family, with no-one knowing where it really comes from. Turns out Kazuma's dad built them with some aliens after being sent back in time 15 billion years ago into the previous universe)
- Bishounen (After the Time Skip)
- Brother-Sister Team (Him and Mihiro)
- Combined Energy Attack: (The entire family rallies behind Kazuma and combine their strength in the Valzacard's final attack)
- Combining Mecha (Valguard and Valzacard)
- Heroic BSOD
- Hot-Blooded (Actually, Kazuma learns to be Hot-Blooded over the course of the game. Near the beginning, he's overwhelmed a bit by the attitudes of heroes like Guy Shishioh, Kouji Kabuto, and
Jiro YamadaGai Daigoji; by the end, he's screaming with the best of them, occasionally scaring little sister Mihiro)
- Hot Wings (Valhawk Air Force Mode's Heat Edge Exploder)
- Instant Runes (Part of the Valzacard's Exa Nova Shoot OVER's Dynamic Kill animation)
- Leitmotif: Bullet Striker (Pre Time Skip) and Sail On Future (Post Time Skip). Also Just One Chance (Valzacard's EXA Nova Shoot Over)
- Missing Mom (His mother died when he was a child)
- Name's the Same (Lampshaded: after meeting the third "Gai" in the game, Kazuma muses on how everyone he meets named "Gai" is a different kind of Badass. For the record, Shishioh is courageous, Daigouji is passionate, and Murakumo is cool)
- Opposite Gender Clone (Aria Advance, who actually seems more interested in Mihiro than him)
- Plot-Relevant Age-Up
- Swords Akimbo (In one of the Valhawk's attacks, it uses a standard beam saber, but it follows up with an additional saber stored in its knee)
- Ten-Minute Retirement
- The Power of Love (In this case, the love between a family, which leads to...)
- Time Skip
- Training from Hell (At the hands of Melissa Mao and Lucrezia Noin)
- Weak but Skilled (His stats are slightly below average for a real robot pilot, but he makes up for it by having the best native skill set of any series main character in the game)
- Count as Magikarp Power as well. His starting unit are pretty good, however it quickly gets outclassed by the games numerous Game Breaker mecha, and its saving grace are its upgrade sharing. Its Mid-Season Upgrade gives it a notable boost in power and match ups better than the previous machine, but by later parts of the Time Skip, its pretty outclassed. After the second Mid-Season Upgrade its undeniably the best unit in the game.
The youngest member of Valstork family, usually work as Valhawk support pilot. She's very attached to Kazuma since he's one who take care of her after their mother's death and everyone else are too busy (although never gone too far, offcially).
- Brother-Sister Team (with Kazuma.)
- Little Miss Badass (She piloted the Vahawk alone while Kazuma was missing and did pretty well against the Radam Beasts. She eventually messed up when fighting group of Moebius MA because she didn't want to kill fellow humans.
- Plot-Relevant Age-Up
- Token Loli
- The Captain (After Blessfield's dissapearance)
- Eyes Always Shut (Though according to one 4koma, she opens them when deep in thought)
- Get a Hold of Yourself, Man! (Slapped Kazuma when he was confused after realizing that Applicant might be his father)
- Team Mom
- Fan Girl (Of Uppo-kun, surprisingly enough. She even has a hug pillow (or at least, a large stuffed animal version) of the guy)
- Pettanko (This is her problem. Why she hadn't joined Ibis in the related Memetic Mutation is anyone's guess)
- Trademark Favorite Food (Mayonnaise. Anything she cooks is drowning in it)
- The Mole, The Reveal (Horis reveals that he was sent to infiltrate the Trailers by The Organization of the Zodiac. However, the kindness of the Ardygun family eventually made Horis abandon his mission)
- Official Couple (with Akane, he does propose her in the ending)
- Spell My Name with an "S" (Horian? Horion? Horaian? The latter is closest to the original, but looks odd. Horion fits better, if it's pronounced like the constellation Orion)
The Scribes of Knowledge, more commonly referred to as the Database, are the main enemy of Super Robot Wars W. They were originally created to seek out and preserve all knowledge in the universe by the civilizations of the previous universe who were at that point just waiting for the Big Crunch. They were inspired to do so by Blessfield Ardygun teaching them the importance of memories, after he was thrown back in time during a battle with the very same group which he helped create. Led by Inference, with Critic, Applicant and Regulate as his advisers, and Aria Advance as their field commander. Their modus operandi is to go from civilization to civilization, assimilate all the knowledge each possesses, and then eliminate them to make that knowledge rarer and therefore more valuable. Tropes associated with the Database:
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot (Beings created by the last civilizations of the previous version of the universe to store all knowledge and let their civilizations survive in some fashion? Of course they turn evil)
- Cloning Blues
- Musical Spoiler : If you listen closely, Eternal Memory is a rearrangement of Bullet Striker. Now read something about Aria and Kazuma.
- Planet Looters
- We Wait: They lie in wait for 8 months before commencing their plan
- Big Bad
- Eleventh-Hour Ranger In the 2nd half of the final battle of New Game+
- It Amused Me: Hearing that Sinclyne would sell out his own father to save his own skin lets him look the other way about executing him, perhaps the only laugh he had in 10,000 years.
- Not So Stoic (Recorder's original personality may have been The Stoic, but once he changes his name to Inference the slightest thing can set off his rage, he takes a liking to exterminating civilizations after their data is recorded, and he gains a pretty foul mouth to boot.)
- Wave Motion Gun: Scientia's Salus Lumen
- White-Haired Pretty Boy
- Beam Spam: Arm Arcus' Totoum Schlopetum, combine that with Wave Motion Gun at the end
- Deadly Disc: Arm Arcus' Lumen Circulus
- Doppelganger Attack: Arm Arcus' Luna Gladius: has a Gory Discretion Shot also
- Evil Laugh Before changing sides
- Gainaxing: Her Cut-in
- Leitmotif: Soul Stranger
- No Social Skills: Very ignorant of relationships due to the Databases' mechanical views
- Send in the Clones: Clones of Aria called Deciever are made to pilot mass produced versions of Arm Arcus and Arm Stora after Aria and Regulate defect.
- Wave Motion Tuning Fork: Quite literal as the blades of Arm Arcus look like Tuning Forks which also double for melee use.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
- Eleventh-Hour Ranger In the 2nd half of the final battle of New Game+
- Mask Power
- Ramming Always Works: Arm Stora's Linear Lector involves it making 2 copies of Arm Arcus which hold down the enemy while it charges the prongs on the front and rams all 3 of them.
- Rocket Punch: Valarm's Remote Drill Burst combined with This Is a Drill
- The Engineer: Considered to be the Database's mechanic
- Wave Motion Gun: Arm Stora's Latum Ladius
- Buxom Is Better: In Fanart she is considered to be well endowed.
- Foil: To Applicant as they always fight alongside each other.
- Team Mom: Has a motherly personality that developed over time
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Purple Hair
- Taking You with Me
- Treacherous Advisor New Game+
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness He was only keeping Inference around because he didn't know how to control the Sapientia.