BlazBlue/Characters/Non Player Characters
BlazBlue, much like Guilty Gear, has plenty of Rummage Sale Rejects to go around. These are all the non-playable characters who show up in the story. Some of them play a significant part of it, while others are just extras who really don't play much part in anything. Voice actors are listed as Japanese/English.
It may also contain unmarked spoilers. You may wish to finish both game's story modes before reading. Go here for characters introduced in Calamity Trigger and here for characters introduced in Continuum Shift.
Warning: Some arts that are linked here (Canon or Fanon) are maybe NSFW. Some also contain Spoilers.
The legendary creature that threatened the safety of the entire world, before its defeat at the hands of the Six Heroes. It exuded Seithr from its own body and covered the planet, causing many areas to become inhospitable, and even altering some of the creatures and turning them into violent beasts. A warrior named Bloodedge was responsible for causing the Beast to fall silent for one year, sacrificing his life to do so. This time frame allowed the people to develop and learn how to use magic, and, along with the Six Heroes, be able to combat the Black Beast head on.
- Diabolus Ex Nihilo
- Eldritch Abomination
- For the Evulz: According to Jubei, there was no rhyme or reason for its rampage across the world.
- Hate Plague: Most of those who didn't just die from Seithr experienced this.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: It exuded Seithr, an invisible, inodorous lethal gas that wiped out a sizable percentage of the world's population. Later on, the Six Heroes taught humanity how to reuse this element as magic, eventually leading to the crafting of the Ars Magus.
- Orochi: Bears a stunning resemblance to him. The Murakumo/Kusanagi sword (Nu) is its core, and it is defeated by Susanooh (Hakumen).
- Sigil Spam: While every character has it's own crest, the Black Beast's appears in more places, most notably as the logo for the games.
An unsung hero of the Dark War, he personally held off the Black Beast alone, singlehandedly delaying its cataclysmic destruction for an entire year. This small window he created allowed the Six Heroes to teach humankind how to use Ars Magus, and to amass a greater and stronger following.
- Badass Normal: No known powers - took on the Black Beast on his own.
- Hero of Another Story
- Heroic Sacrifice
Nine's sister and the person who raised Ragna, Jin and Saya at the church. She had brown hair in her youth, and was naturally gifted in the use of healing magic. She briefly traveled with Bloodedge during the Dark War, whilst trying to find information about her father, Shūichirō Ayatsuki. After the Dark War, she was killed by Terumi when he burned the aforementioned church down.
- A-Cup Angst: A slight example. She misunderstands one of Ragna's comments and starts talking about how she's normal sized and that bigger isn't always better.
- All There in the Manual: Sister was only mentioned in a couple lines in the games as an unimportant backstory character The story of her life is only revealed in Blazblue Phase 0, a prequel novel.
- Cute Witch
- I Will Wait for You: After the Black Beast was slain, Caelica watched over its remains and waited for the chance to see Ragna again, she ended up waiting about 80 years and when they do meet, Ragna is a child.
- Les Yay: Just a bit with Nine.
- Marionette Master: Continuum Shift Extend reveals that she was Nirvana's previous master.
- No Sense of Direction: She can get lost following a map on a straight road.
- Ship Tease: With Ragna. After his death she refuses to get married and tells her sister that waiting for him is her happiness.
- White Mage: Naturally gifted with healing magic.
Clavis was the previous head of the Alucard family, said to have lived for over a millennium. He watched over the human race and helped prevent the Black Beast from destroying them, as well as sealing Terumi inside the Boundary before the Six Heroes were formed. Rachel is his daughter, and Valkenhayn served as his butler before (and after) working with the Six Heroes.
Voiced by: Sena Tsubaki (Game), Kazue Fujita (Drama CD) / Jeannie Elias
The second of Rachel's familiars. He's the red bat, and the one who always gets the butt-end of Rachel's "punishments". Has the ability to grow in size.
- Butt Monkey
- Fun Size
- Oh Crap: He gets this expression when Rachel's Astral Finish gets countered by Hakumen's.
- Verbal Tic: Ends his sentences in the Japanese with "su".
Another one of the six heroes. He's a Nekomata who is stated to have the "greatest katana in the world". He's not bluffing about that katana - it's actually the Nox Nyctores Mucro Somnio: Musashi. He's Kokonoe's father, and is known as the "strongest living creature in existence." The Kaka tribe are genetically engineered weapons based on his DNA. He's also Ragna's sensei.
- Awesome McCoolname: Obviously. He even has an eyepatch like the Samurai Shodown incarnation. Also, swap the halves of his Phase 0 name and you get Yoshimitsu.
- Badass Adorable: He's cute! And a badass of epic proportions.
- Beware the Nice Ones: In Bang's story mode in CS, when you get to the Joke ending path, Jubei arrives and sees through Bang's lies, smiling evilly and just making things worse for poor Bang.
- Big Good: The closest this game has to one, sharing the position with Rachel.
- Cloning Blues
- Cutlass Between the Teeth: During Taokaka's Astral Heat, he attacks Tao's opponent wielding Musashi in his mouth. However it is not clear whether he actually fights like that or if it was a one moment thing for the Astral Heat.
- Disappeared Dad: May partially explain why Kokonoe hates him.
- Evil Eye: CS reveals that his eye is the Sekigan (One Eye) that allows him to physically switch places with another person.
- Eyepatch of Power
- Failure Knight: He's never forgiven himself for letting Bloodedge die fighting against the Black Beast. For some odd reason, though, he never tells the world about Bloodedge, so practically no one knows about him.
- Foreshadowing: In one of the Teach Me, Miss Litchi segments in CS, Tao is taught about all the different Nox Nyctores. When the subject of Musashi comes up, Jubei says that everyone will see what it can do soon enough.
Ragna: Man, are you still keeping that thing under wraps? You'd better bring that sucker out in the next game!
- Game-Breaking Injury: The reason he hasn't been all that active in Kagutsuchi lately.
- Happily Married: Lampshaded in CS when he talks about how wonderful marriage is... "until your daughter hits puberty. But even then it's still good!"
- Idiot Ball: In Continuum Shift. There's nothing else to call it, considering that he doesn't STAY with Noel to guard her from Terumi, despite knowing that the girl is the inheritor of the True Azure AND the new Eye of the Master Unit.
- Kodachis Are Just Better
- Killer Rabbit
- Last of His Kind: Phase 0 reveals his clan was wiped out by the Black Beast when it appeared in Japan.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse
- Poor Communication Kills: An exercise for the reader: see how many Stock Phrases associated with the Trickster Mentor he spouts at one point or another. Also, for all that he warned Ragna not to rely too much on the Azure Grimoire and told him not to fight Terumi, why didn't he ever explain WHY? This also applies to his half-baked and utterly useless warnings about the people Ragna was going to fight in Kagutsuchi. You'd think he actually wanted Ragna to fail.
- Red Baron: The One-Eyed Lotus
- Stable Time Loop: In Blazblue Phase 0, it's revealed that the time displaced Ragna kept calling Mitsuyoshi, Jubei. After Ragna sacificed himself to save Mitsuyoshi, he started calling himself Jubei in memory of his friend.
- Thou Shall Not Kill: Enforces this on Taokaka during her astral finish. He always leaps to grab the opponent out of the way of her killing blow. She sometimes seems to notice and looks around for him afterwards, while he pokes his head back on screen.
- World's Strongest Man: Well, cat. Prior to receiving his injuries, anyway.
He's the protagonist of Phase Shift 1, sharing many superficial similarities with Hazama. With Relius Clover (his tutor), he traveled the world for a while, then studied at the Magic Guild. Apparently, due to being quiet and disliking the outdoors, Caelica felt uneasy around him.
- Artificial Human: In truth, Kazuma was actually a body created by Relius for Yūki Terumi to fuse with (after he was damaged by the Black Beast before the Dark War). During Phase Shift 1, he and Terumi meet, and end up fusing close to the end, Kazuma's body becoming what is now known as Hazama.
- Lazy Bum: He disliked physical activities, preferring to stay indoors, but he at least had an interest in reading.
Voiced by: Chie Matsura / Julie Ann Taylor
Tager's and formerly Litchi's superior. She's one of the top scientists at Sector Seven who sends Tager to retrieve Hakumen.
She's Jubei and Nine's daughter, but for some reason she doesn't get along very well with Jubei. Despite her seemingly constant bitchy nature, she tends to act very motherly towards her creations, and she sometimes goes a little...over-the-top with the upgrades she does to them if she's in a good mood, which is somewhat rare. She wants revenge on Terumi for what he did to her family.
- Acting for Two: Julie Ann Taylor voices Kokonoe and Tsubaki in the English dub.
- A-Cup Angst: As revealed in Noel's Help Me! Prof. Kokonoe! short, Kokonoe doesn't exactly react well to being pointed out as flat-chested.
Noel: Whenever I'm around Tsubaki or Makoto, or especially Miss Litchi, I always feel like I'm... the odd one out...
(An arrow pops up, pointing at Kokonoe's chest)
Noel: But when I'm with you, I feel like I belong!... It's like we're comrades-in-arms or something... It's...um...I feel like we share a special bond...
Kokonoe: GET OUT OF HERE! (headbutts Noel off-stage)
- Makoto's Help Me! session trips this again. You don't need to understand Japanese to figure that Kokonoe's throwing a tantrum over her breast size.
- All Powerful Bystander: Nowhere near to the extent that Rachel is, however.
- Subverted. Relius hints that she may even be just as powerful as Nine in terms of combat prowess, but she simply prefers to sit back and let Tager do all the fighting. Extend's EX 2 story mode reveals she did in fact inherit her mother's powers, and was forced to use them to seal away a monster similar to the Black Beast when Relius forced her hand.
- Anti-Hero: Type IV, bordering on Type V at times.
- The Atoner: She's made a lot of mistakes, and if nothing else, she intends to do right by their many victims.
- Bare Your Midriff: So much that you can see her thong.
- Berserk Button: She's got several, but a particularly big one seems to be Jubei. Tager notes that he mentioned him once, and Kokonoe was in a bad mood for a week.
- Big Eater: Another common trait she shares with Tao...
- Cat Smile: For obvious reasons.
- Cats Are Mean: She acts this way towards Hazama in his gag ending, especially when he starts sneezing due to his allergies to cats.
Kokonoe: Hmmm. I have to say, I kind of like the way your voice sounds right now... Are you crying? Is this the result of a suppressed fight-or-flight response constricting your airway?
Hazama: No, this is *Sneeze* *Sneeze* I'm just allergic to--*Sneeze*
Kokonoe: Allergic to cats? Oh, an antigen-antibody reaction. You're experiencing anaphylactic shock, huh?
Hazama: Just stay right where you are, all right?! You're freaking me out!
Kokonoe: Oh, you look so damn scared... Your face looks like a balloon, and you've got some sort of liquid oozing out of just about every hole in it... Ahaha! This is wonderful! Suffer some more! He he he...
- Deadpan Snarker: Constantly. She's almost on par with Rachel here.
- Fourth Wall Mail Slot She gets Help Me! Prof. Kokonoe! in the console version of Continuum Shift.
- Genius' Sweet Tooth: She's often seen with a lollipop or other kind of sweet candy. Her lab is actually filled with them.
- The side material also states that one of her hobbies is collecting candy.
- She also has a weakness for Ferero Roche chocolates.
- He Who Fights Monsters: If her plan of using Lambda 11 to fight Terumi fails, she has a backup... many, MANY nuclear missiles.
- Hot Scientist
- Jerkass Facade: She may be a hard-ass, but she genuinely cares for her subordinates. Even if she has to be dragged kicking and screaming to show it.
- Kid With the Remote Control: She is in possession of Tager's controls, making her a Kid with the Leash as well.
- Lampshaded by Tager in one of his alternate endings, where she upgrades him to take on Bang Shishigami by turning him into
GaoGaiGarSUPER GOLDEN TAGER!
- Lampshaded by Tager in one of his alternate endings, where she upgrades him to take on Bang Shishigami by turning him into
- Mad Scientist She did build Tager as he is, plus any "enhancements" she puts on him are simply outrageous (and if she did put them on him, he never knew, which scares or embarrasses him when he finds out). She even has "designs" in mind for Hakumen, which seem to terrify him (and then there's her personality when she thinks loudly about it).
- Mission Control: To Tager and Lambda.
Kokonoe (in Teach Me, Miss Litchi!): C'mon, Tager. We have shit to do...
Kokonoe: Lambda, retreat now.
- Motherly Scientist: She fusses over Lambda quite a bit, and tries to take the best care of her that she can. It's mostly the result of guilt about bringing her back as a weapon and helping create the Murakumo Units in the first place.
- Not So Above It All: In Tager's joke ending, she manages to match up with Bang in terms of hamminess.
- Not So Different: In Teach Me, Ms. Litchi!, Litchi notes that "[Kokonoe and Taokaka] are more alike than they seem. There's only a thin line between genius and... Tao".
- In CS, Kokonoe herself wonders if she's that different from Arakune.
- Pet the Dog: In Litchi's bad ending, she runs her old colleague's clinic when Litchi's afflicted with a terminal disease, and aids in attempting to find a cure for her affliction. It's ambiguous just how much time has passed, so looked at in the right way, it may also mean that she put her own desires for vengeance away to help one of the few friends she has in the world.
- Also has a few of these in her treatment of Lambda, perhaps the only character in the game who she never rants at and belittles. This seems to be a recurrent theme whenever someone gets hurt because her actions genuinely cross the line.
- Retired Monster: Kokonoe has a very shady past. This lady was partially responsible for the creation of Arakune (through neglect) and even had a part in building up Relius' Ignis (that's his WIFE). But as of today, she's against Relius and Terumi, although she makes it clear that she's cranky and not very nice, nor having regrets of what she's done in the past. Tager eventually knew this, but placed his faith on her nonetheless
- Sir Swearsalot: She is surprisingly foul-mouthed, to the point of being the only character who gets bleeped. Even Ragna and Terumi, who between them have said just about every swear word in the book, have yet to manage that.
- The most notable time she gets bleeped is in Rachel's Gag Reel, when she talks about what she intended to do to Ragna after putting him to sleep with the sleeping pill in the candy she offered him. Interestingly, the bleeps that are put in are the names of Ragna's techniques.
Kokonoe: Well, no reason not to tell you. First I intended to take his XXX ("Inferno Divider!") and put it in a XXX ("Carnage Scissors!"). Maybe a little XXX ("Gauntlet Hades!") too? My goodness, I can only imagine what his XXX ("Hell's Fang!") will XXX ("Dead Spike!")!
Noel: Wh-wh-WHAT?! How could you stoop so low? That's totally unfair!
- Sweet Tooth: She loves her catnip lollipops.
- Sugar and Ice Personality
- This Is Unforgivable!: She says this to Hazama in his Continuum Shift arcade run before he fights Lambda-11.
Kokonoe: I've just got one question to ask you. Why did you betray my mother?
Hazama: "Betray?" C'mon, don't give me that. It's not like the Six Heroes were buddies... then the other day, I told the old man, "We're buddies, right?!" Hahahahaha!
Kokonoe: You... you bastard! I'll never forgive you! Lambda! Kick the shit out of him!
Another one of the Six Heroes, "Nine" is the one who taught humans how to use magic. She's Jubei's wife and Kokonoe's mother. Her sister ran the orphanage where Ragna, Jin, and Saya lived. Additionally, she used human transmutation to create the Nox Nyctores. Although she's now dead by the hands of Terumi.
- Cool Big Sis: Despite her temper, she's very caring on Caelica and would even give her Marshmallow Hell.
- Embarrassing First Name: Phase 0 reveals she dislikes her given name which is why she goes by Nine.
- Fiery Pinkhead: Still a shade of red after all, but from the novels of Phase 0 and Phase 1, Nine had quite the temper... which Kokonoe inherited as well.
- Hot Witch
- Lady of Black Magic
- Ms. Fanservice: The closest one there is for the Six Heroes.
- She Knows Too Much
- The Dog Bites Back: How she was killed as revealed in Phase 1, she attempted to control Terumi, but then Terumi regained his sentience and killed her
- Not Quite Dead: It is heavily implied, but never outright stated, by certain characters that Hazama's mysterious compatriot, Phantom, is in fact Nine.
- She's Got Legs: As emphasized in the Phase 0 novel.
- You Gotta Have Pink Hair: Kokonoe gets her hair color from her.
- Zettai Ryouiki: In Blazblue Phase 0.
Voiced by: Yukiko Kato / ???
Litchi's assistant. She idolizes Litchi and works to match her skills in medicine, and grow to be just like her. Despite this, she is unaware of Litchi's past, or her relationship with Arakune.
Suffers from a major case of Hero Worship toward Litchi. Her behavior would be easy to misinterpret, if she hadn't nipped that perception in the bud early on, stating she's more "reverant" of Litchi, than "fond."
- Anime Chinese Girl: If her name and qipao are of any indication, yes.
- Cute Little Fangs: Has one on the left side of her mouth.
- Satellite Character: Her only appearance in the first game is in Litchi and Taokaka's story mode, and she only serves as a supporting role. She gets some substantial Character Development in Continuum Shift, however.
Voiced by: Masaru Suzuki / Ezra Weisz
One of Rachel's familiars. He's a shapeshifting cat that also serves as Rachel's umbrella. He is gay.
- Anything That Moves: Appears to be this according to the following exchange in Hakumen's Continuum Shift story mode. Then again, he may have been thinking about Jin.
Nago: Mmmm, a hot man all tied up... Ah, it just makes me tingle!
Gii: That's... uh... C'mon, you can't even see his face.
- Blush Sticker
- Camp Gay: During Jin's canon path in Continuum Shift, before his fight with Rachel, Nago asks Rachel if they can "keep him" because Jin is "just his type".
- It should be noted that he expresses similar thoughts toward Hakumen, making exactly what he likes about Jin considerably more up in the air...
- Mega Neko
- Voluntary Shapeshifting
Voiced by: None
A mysterious woman who is observing Hazama for an unknown reason. She wears a bluish purple witch's hat and bluish purple robe that completely conceals her face. She is able to use true magic, as opposed to Ars Magus which imitate the effects of magic.
- Hidden Depths: It's implied that she is actually Nine of the original Six Heroes.
- Villain Teleportation
Ragna and Jin's missing little sister. She is the template for Noel Vermillion and Nu. She was taken by Terumi after the burning of their church. The Material Collection reveals that she has incredibly high ars magus aptitude and was raised in the Church to hide her from Terumi.
- Demonic Possession: Possibly. In The Wheel of Fortune, Relius refers to her as a "vessel," and when we see her as the Imperator Librarius, she acts completely different from how she used to. It's unclear what exactly she's the vessel of right now, though.
- Missing Little Sister: This forms all of Ragna's motivations. Not really! We see her in Continuum Shift's climax, where she even calls Ragna, Jin and Noel collectively "scum."
- Nietzsche Wannabe: She calls the way the world is supposed to be "a world of death".
- Not Herself: Saya's attitude is peculiar.
- Pet the Dog: In The Wheel of Fortune Drama CD. It was shown that when they were kids, Jin and Saya were actually rather affectionate towards each other before she became sickly. Saya even said that she loves Jin very much. The reason for Jin's hatred towards her and why she suddenly became ill are currently unknown.
- Puppet Queen: For Relius and Hazama.
- Much of the dialogue involving her in CS indicates she is not aware of this, and believes she truly is the mastermind behind everything. Rachel apparently knows the truth, and tries to tell her as much, but she disregards it.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning
- She Is the King
The father of Nine and Caelica, and later the father-in-law of Jubei and the grand-father of Kokonoe, Shūichirō Ayatsuki was a scientist working with Relius Clover before the emergence of the Black Beast, but he died shortly after it's creation.
A man-made entity (heavily implied to be a supercomputer) of unknown origin and purpose with the ability to manipulate space and time. It actually posseses three minds/selves, which observe every possibility of existence. Though its original purpose is unknown, it works to destroy the Master Unit, Amaterasu, so that it can control the flow of space and time, and give existence a cold, mechanical sense of order.
- The Omniscient: Got screwed over anyway by Terumi.
Bang's master, and the leader of Ikaruga from before the Civil War. He was frozen to death by Jin Kisaragi, starting Bang's path to avenge him.
The brother of Jubei. He was a reticent beastkin of faith who believed he could do anything he set his mind to. Notably, Tomonori tried, but failed to stop Terumi.
Voiced by: Kaori Yagi / Kate Higgins
Another resident of the Kaka clan. She is, naturally, Taokaka's friend and is like a big sister to her. She is a former guardian of the Kaka Village, and was in the middle of training Taokaka to be the next guardian while she went to go take part in the Ikaruga Civil War, which is how Ragna first met Tao.
During Tao's bad ending, she carts her off to safety while Valkenhayn hangs back to stop Terumi, also stating that Torakaka's been working with him and Rachel for some time.
- Cool Big Sis: To Taokaka.
- Vocal Dissonance: She wears the same dark mask with the Cheshire Cat Grin that Tao does, but her voice is that of a mature, intelligent woman. Not to mention that Tao got her Verbal Tics from her.
- Justifiably, she is an older member of the Kaka clan.
A member of the Six Heroes,Trinity was known as the Platinum Alchemist during the Dark War. She studied at the Magic Guild alongside Caelica and Nine. Due to a comment dropped by Hazama in Platinum the Trinity's CSII Arcade Ending, she was implied to be indirectly responsible for allowing him to kill Nine.
- Green Eyes
- I Was Quite a Looker: Bit of a weird inversion here, as Trinity went from what was nothing short of smoking hot with an awesome bust to the flat-chested, yet well-endowed (in the rear) loli with split personalities we all know today.
- In the Hood: Sports one at all times, although it's not always covering her head.
- Meganekko: Apparently has the same taste in glasses as Carl.
- Proper Tights with a Skirt