Futari wa Pretty Cure/Characters
|This page needs some cleaning up to be presentable.|
Some or all of these characters need descriptions. A list of tropes is not a description.
This is the character sheet for Futari wa Pretty Cure and Futari Wa Pretty Cure MaX Heart.
Nagisa Misumi (Cure Black)
Voiced by: Yoko Honna
An energetic athlete who's popular with the girls (although she wishes the love letters she got in her locker were from cute boys instead), Nagisa is a tomboyish middle-class girl who would rather have fun than study. When she makes a wish on a meteor shower for a boyfriend who will love her, she instead meets Mepple and gets the power to become Cure Black. Though she's completely reluctant at first, her compassion for Mepple and Mipple as well as her desire to protect her friends convince her to save the world after all.
- Action Girl
- Bare Your Midriff: But only in the first season—Toei got enough complaints from parents to have her abdomen covered starting with Max Heart.
- Berserk Button: Threaten her friends or her brother, and she'll tear you a new one. Guaranteed.
- Big Eater
- Book Dumb: She is reasonably intelligent, but still not much of a student.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Her love for "Fujipi-senpai".
- Catch Phrase: "Arienai!"
- Club President: In Max Heart, she becomes the lacrosse team captain.
- Crosscast Role: As Romeo in Romeo and Juliet (see below). She also does this for a Japanese period play in episode 37 of Max Heart.
- Crossdresser: Happens in at least two episodes: in episode 9, she does this twice—first as a ramen delivery boy, then as a mailman—in an attempt to reclaim Mepple, who had been confiscated, and in a later episode, she gets the part of Romeo in her school's production of Romeo and Juliet.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Much to her chagrin.
- I Just Want to Be Normal
- It's All My Fault: In the first movie.
- Les Yay: Some of it with Honoka. The two are arguably the Fan-Preferred Couple.
- Love Letter Lunacy: From lots of female underclassmen.
- Malaproper: Often gets proverbs wrong, and seems to suffer from slight dyslexia.
- Meaningful Name: In the dub, she's called Natalie Blackstone.
- Modesty Shorts: Both in her Lacrosse uniform and as Cure Black.
- Plucky Girl
- Red Oni to Honoka's Blue
- Tomboy to Honoka's Girly Girl
- Tsurime Eyes: Gains them as Cure Black, which helps highlight her determination and ferocity in that form.
Honoka Yukishiro (Cure White)
Voiced by: Yukana
Nagisa's complete opposite, Honoka is a star student rumoured to be a super-genius and gets one or two love letters a month from boys. She rejects every one of them, though, because she wants an honest relationship built on mutual respect. Besides the members of the chemistry club, Honoka doesn't have very many friends; she hasn't had anyone over at her house in years and just studies instead, and even her parents are always overseas. When she went into the garden shed at her mansion, she met Mipple and gained the power to become Cure White. She loves the idea of being a Magical Girl, finding it "exciting".
- Action Girl
- Beware the Nice Ones: The rare times she actually gets angry, even the fearless Nagisa is in awe of her...
- Big Fancy House
- Big Friendly Dog: Her dog Chuutaro.
- Blue Oni to Nagisa's Red
- Club President: In Max Heart, she becomes president of the science club.
- Crosscast Role: Gets one for a Japanese period play in episode 37 of Max Heart.
- Dating Catwoman: With Kiriya.
- Demoted to Extra: The writers don't seem to give her the attention she would deserve...
- Girly Girl to Nagisa's Tomboy
- Jumped At the Call
- Les Yay: Some of it with Nagisa. The two are arguably the Fan-Preferred Couple.
- Lonely Rich Kid: However, she is very accepting of her parents being away for long and hardly ever complains about it.
- The Matchmaker: Honoka really likes playing Cupid between Nagisa and Fujipi.
- Meaningful Name: In the dub, she's called Hannah Whitehouse.
- Platonic Life Partners: With Fujipi.
- Precision F-Strike: In a fansub of episode 8, when Nagisa shouts for her to save herself, she retorts, "Like hell I will!"
- Shiny Midnight Black: Her hair seems black with a bluish tinge. Alternately, it could just be blue.
- Tareme Eyes: Only in civilian mode. Her eyes become a bit more "normal"-looking as Cure White, and her personality becomes a bit less soft-spoken to match.
- Teen Genius
- This Is Unforgivable!: Her Catch Phrase.
Hikari Kujou (Shiny Luminous)
Voiced by: Rie Tanaka
- Disney Death: After being sacrificed to restore the Queen (much to the chagrin of Cures Black and White), it turns out she became a separate entity from the Queen just as Hikaru would become a separate entity from King Haaku at the end of the series.
- Damsel in Distress: The only member of Pretty Cure not to be much of a fighter.
- Girlish Pigtails: When transformed.
- Hair of Gold
- MacGuffin Girl
- My Friends and Zoidberg: In Max Heart, most other characters refer to the group as "Precure and Luminous". It's not really an insult, since she's not technically a Cure.
- Pillar of Light
- Support Party Member: Her powers revolve entirely around hampering enemies and enhancing Cure Black and Cure White's attacks.
- Third Ranger
Voiced by: Tomokazu Seki
Voiced by: Akiko Yajima
Pollun & Lulun
Voiced by: Haruna Ikezawa (Pollun), Asuka Tanii (Lulun)
- Everything's Better with Princesses: Lulun
- Non-Human Sidekick
- Sixth Ranger: Pollun, for the mascots during the first series. Lulun fills this role during Max Heart
- Spell My Name with an "S": The fansubber referred to Pollun as Porun even after merchandise revealed the spelling, because "it looked cuter".
- Verbal Tic: "popo" for Pollun; "lulu" for Lulun.
Friends and Family
- Fiery Redhead
- Genki Girl
- Speech Impediment: Will sometimes repeat a phrase three times in rapid succession.
- Those Two Guys
Shougo "Fujipi" Fujimura
- Cool Big Sis
- Parental Substitute: Oblivious one to Hikari and Hikaru.
- Cool Old Lady
- Despair Event Horizon: After surviving the WWII firebombing of Wakabadadi, Sanae comes close to this until Mipple encourages her.
- Never Mess with Granny
Voiced by: Hiroki Takahashi
Voiced by: Kouji Ishii
Voiced by: Sakiko Uran
- Evil Redhead
- Femme Fatale
- Genre Savvy: She was the first among her peers to figure out that you can actually dodge the Pretty Cure Marble Screw, as well as the first to figure out that keeping the two Cures from touching pretty much negates all of their finishing moves. She narrowly avoids being Dangerously Genre Savvy by virtue of not quite understanding the absolute infallibility of The Power of Friendship in a magical girl show.
- Kick the Dog
- One-Woman Wail Actually, it's more like One Little Brother Wail, but the feeling is the same.
- Pet the Dog: In her own way, she truly cares about her brother.
Voiced by: Reiko Kiuchi
- Creepy Child
- Dating Catwoman: Honoka has a crush on him.
- Dead Little Sister: Better said, Dead Older Sister... Poisonny.
- Disney Death: He returns in the last episodes as a normal human.
- Redemption Equals Death: Well, not really, but it sure seemed so...)
- What Is This Thing You Call Love?: A defining part of his character is his struggle to understand human emotions, him being from a race of Exclusively Evil creatures.
Voiced by: Issei Futamata
- The Dragon: To the Dark King. He's such a massive step-up from the Quirky Miniboss Squad that he pretty much ignores Pretty Cure during their first "battle", and utterly curb-stomps them when he decides to fight back in the second.
- Expy: Doesn't he remind you of Piccolo from Dragonball Z?
- One-Winged Angel
The Seeds Of Evil (Juuna, Regine,and Belzei)
Voiced by: Yasunori Matsumoto (Juuna), Rika Fukami (Regine), Tomomichi Nishimura (Belzei)
Shiten'ou (Circulas, Uraganos, Biblis, and Valdes)
Voiced by: Hitoshi Bifu (Circulas), Wataru Takagi (Uraganos), Ai Kobayashi (Biblis), Kenichi Ono (Valdes)
- Dragon Ascendant: Valdes, although his voice actor was a dead giveaway that he is the true reincarnation of the Dark King.
- Dumb Muscle: Uraganos
- Pet the Dog: With Hikaru
- Villainous Valor: The first three, even sacrificing themselves to bring down Pretty Cures.
The Dark King
Voiced by: Kenichi Ono
- Big Bad
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: Yes, they did! Dark King, with three consecutive defeats, you've reached a new low for an Eldritch Abomination...
- Eldritch Abomination: He's the personification of destruction.
- The Faceless
- Heel Face Turn: Debatable; what's accepted among the fan community is that his life makes the turn when he splits from him in the final episode of Max Heart, becoming Hikaru Kujo.
- Not So Different: The queen said that they have only one difference, to believe in future or to control the future.
- Omnicidal Maniac
- ↑ "I can't believe this!"