Kamen no Maid Guy
That's me, Maid Guy!
By and large, a show about breasts. And maids. But not put together.
In the history of anime, there have been robot maids, maids in debt, and teams of maids. A new kind of maid is here - the Maid Guy.
The ridiculously well-endowed Naeka Fujiwara and her brother Kousuke are the last heirs in line to their grandfather's humongous fortune. Naeka in particular, since her 18th birthday is approaching. In order to protect them until Naeka's 18th birthday, their grandfather gives them two live-in maids. The first is Fubuki, a fine example of a Meido for Kousuke's tastes. The second...is Kogarashi, the Maid Guy. A monster of a man (in a dress) whose idea of service to his master is very rough around the edges.
Throw in more side characters from Naeka's school, Maid Guy's beyond-superhuman abilities, and a whirlwind of comedy begins. The anime series aired in spring 2008 as a Twelve-Episode Anime, followed by an OVA.
- Amusing Injuries—Naeka's sword and Fubuki's nail bat regularly inflict pain upon Kogarashi. He survives.
- Badass - Kogarashi certainly. Other characters have their moments of it.
- Battle Maid Guy
- Barbie Doll Anatomy—Averted occasionally for the sake of Naeka's boobs, used straight all other times.
- The Beast Master—Kogarashi is shown summoning and directing tengu (Japanese crows)...to search for underwear. He even dresses as one in episode seven.
- Bishounen—Hendrick, Liz's older brother. He knows it and uses it to his advantage.
- Parodied in the diet episode when Kousuke slims down, complete with Bishie Sparkle and rose petals - then immediately returns to his ordinary weight after drinking soda.
- Big Breasts, Big Deal—taken to the extreme with the rival Maid Cafe in episode 9, all of whom are type 4.
- Black Comedy Rape—There is little doubt of what Saki did to poor Naeka when trapped in Kogarashi's love-hotel-pit... her dishevelled clothes said it all.
- Brown Note—Maid Guy Voice, with the power to freeze anyone in place for 30 minutes.
- Brother-Sister Incest—Liz loves her brother way more than a little sister should. Hendrick's love of big breasts (breasts are big in this show) has made Liz very self-conscious.
- Kousuke has also shown a surprising willingness to ogle Naeka when she and Fubuki get into compromising positions.
- Bunny Ears Lawyer—Kogarashi wears a dress, has the skill sets of a ninja, bodyguard, mathematician and top-class maid, but is shaky on the concept of "personal space", "restraint" or "metaphor". It makes his outbreaks of common sense all the more surprising.
- Buxom Is Better—much to the dismay of Liz, Naeka's friends and, because All Men Are Perverts, Naeka and Fubuki.
- Catchphrase Interruptus—One of Kogarashi's long speeches and finishing line of "That's me, Maid Guy!" is cut off by Fubuki once again smacking him in the head with a nail-bat.
- Calling Your Attacks—Kogarashi calls out the name of any ability he uses, just because he can.
- Character Title—Potentially; the head Miko in Episode 10, who seems to have prior knowledge of Kogarashi, refers to him as 'Gai'.
- Charm Person—Hendrick hypnotizes women with the power of his Bishie Sparkle. He has plans to build a harem of big-breasted women. Liz and Naeka are usually the only ones who can stop him.
- Combo-Platter Powers—Kogarashi has 37 senses and as many powers as are required by the comedy.
- Comedic Sociopathy
- Credits Running Sequence—Every ending sequence, complete with Gainaxing.
- Date Peepers—When Naeka goes to the festival with the Breast Fanclub Leader, her Those Two Guys, the other two members of the fanclub, and both maids are watching the thing play out. The date is fake, but that doesn't stop them from thinking that Naeka may be in love with him.
- Diet Episode
- Distaff Counterpart—Apparently, there's a "Maid Gal", a female counterpart who does the same kind of things Kogarashi does. Can't do it as well as he can, though.
- Dojikko—Fubuki's least favorite word. A large part of her character is overcoming her stigma that she's a "clumsy maid".
- Easy Amnesia—When the Breast Fanclub Leader falls down the stairs (and later gets hit by Fubuki's lantern), he's sent into a Convenient Coma, then reawakened by Naeka/Fubuki's breasts after the doctor melodramatically informs them there's no hope of him waking up.
- Every Episode Ending—The countdown to Naeka's birthday.
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep"—Leader of the Breast Fanclub. That's all he ever goes by.
- Evil Laugh—Kogarashi's "Kukuku" ranks amongst the best ever for a hero.
- Fan Service
- Fan Service with a Smile—All of episode nine.
- Festival Episode
- Forced to Watch—Kogarashi uploads a virus into the camera bugs placed around the house by various parties. Anyone viewing the camera feed will get zapped with the Maid Guy Freeze Voice, which paralyzes every muscle in the body for thirty minutes, and then will be treated to a half-hour-long video of the local fishmonger's bathing.
- Furo Scene
- Gag Boobs—Naeka, especially episode two.
- Gainaxing—Naeka again.
- Genius Bruiser—Would you believe Kogarashi went to MIT? Not as a student; he taught high-level maths there.
- Girl with Psycho Weapon—Whenever Kogarashi does or says something particularly bad, Fubuki smashes him (usually in the face) with a wooden bat with nails stuck in it.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom—Kogarashi, on several occasions.
- Gratuitous English—Liz and her brother Hendrick. Also in the names of Kogarasi's powers and "Liieda!" (Leader).
Naeka: I feel so strong I could take on a bear!
- Gretzky Has the Ball—While playing tennis, one of the players said "15 points for a home run!".
- Heroic Comedic Sociopath—Kogarashi.
- Hey, It's That Voice!—So Hakuoro is now a batshit crazy maid. Well, at least he still has a mask on.
- Hollywood Pudgy—At only 80 kilograms (176 pounds) Kouseke should flat out *not* look as heavy as he does.
- Instant Fanclub—The Naeka's Breasts Fanclub.
- I Take Offense to That Last One:
Kogarashi: So the clumsy maid is easy too.
- Japanese Pronouns—Kogarashi always, always uses kisama to refer to Naeka, even when he's complimenting her, indicating either a severe lack of respect for his master or a rougher-than-sandpaper personality.
- Hell, he uses kisama with nearly everyone.
- Jerkass—Kogarashi without even trying, and occasionally Naeka when she says things without thinking about the consequences first.
- Kick the Dog—Half of Kogarashi's antics would get any normal person without superpowers thrown in jail. Though this allows us to cheer when Naeka and Fubuki kick the living daylights out of him for his stupidity. Of course, we all cheer for him anyway because he's the Heroic Sociopath.
- King of All Cosmos—According to Maid Guy, God likes panty shots.
- He also loves Fetish Fuel. To the point where all his "miracles" only occur while the girl in question is fulfilling that fetish.
- Large Ham - Kogarashi's monologues, and ending lines.
- Love Letter Lunacy—Pretty much all of episode three.
- Lethal Chef—Naeka. This plays into two different situations—once during the Love Letter Lunacy episode, once when she's a Nurse with Good Intentions.
- Maid of Iron—Kogarashi really can survive a lot.
- Magical Girlfriend—parody. The romance aspect is averted, but Kogarashi either exhibits or inverts every other feature of the trope.
- Male Gaze
- Master of Disguise—Kogarashi again.
- Master of Illusion—Daydreaming Maid Guy Illusion, to be exact.
- Mask Power
- Meido—Played straight with Fubuki. Subverted and parodied with Kogarashi.
- Men Can't Keep House: It's the two siblings who cannot keep house - the house is literally overflowing with garbage, they can't use their own beds, and they have an infestation of rats, crows and snakes.
- Miko—The High Priestess of episode 10 is a deeply disturbing twist on this archtype, and the fact that she's voiced by Kikuko Inoue just makes it all the more awesome or horrifying... or both. Kousuke also demonstrates in this episode a Miko fetish to go with his Meido fetish.
- Monochromatic Eyes—Kogarashi yet again.
- Naughty Tentacles—Kogarashi's hair, of all things, serves as this trope in Episode 6.
- Nerf Arm—Used, then subverted almost immediately afterwards in Episode 7. With a log.
- New Powers as the Plot Demands—There seems to be no limit to the skills / abilities Kogarashi possesses.
- Ninja Maid—Tsurara and Shizuku, Liz's maids.
- No Name Given—Miwa, Eiko and Saki all have names, but they aren't often said (if at all...).
- Otaku—Kousuke. Has a maid fetish and a collection of eroge to prove it.
- OVA—An 'OVD' was released alongside the first DVD collection, with an entirely predictable increase in Fan Service. A combined Beach Episode and Hot Springs Episode with Urashima Taro, plenty of Show Some Leg moments, very visible nipples, and it all happened in Kousuke's head.
- Panty Shot—Almost the entire female cast (in the uncensored broadcast version).
- Pet the Dog—Sort of. Kogarashi won't attack civilians.
- While he won't attack civilians, he has absolutely no qualms about messing with them if it is part of his mission. Like stealing panties off of girls in the middle of the day to examine them to find a thief (of underwear, no less).
- Phenotype Stereotype, Teen Genius—Liz Strawberryfield.
- Pietà Plagiarism—in the last episode, when Maid Guy dies. He Got Better.
- Potty Failure—Liz wets her bed due to nightmares about Kogarashi's crows. This is implied to be a recurring dream.
- Prehensile Hair—One of Kogarashi's many abilities.
- Real Men Wear Pink—Kogarashi manages to be Badass whilst wearing a maid dress and a frilly face mask.
- Refuge in Audacity—This series would not survive past page one without this.
- Restraining Bolt—Naeka gets a whistle in the first episode that can incapacitate a Maid Guy. It's broken in the first few minutes of episode two.
- In the last episode it's shown that even this only stops Kogarashi for a moment and, immediately afterwards, goes into an Unstoppable Rage
- Roof Hopping—Kogarashi again. Fubuki and the Ninja Maid twins do it, too.
- Sarashi—Because everyone knows about the inverse relationship between bust size and math grades.
- Schoolgirl Lesbians—Saki, Naeka's Stalker with a Crush.
- Single-Target Sexuality—Even more specific than that, Leader only has eyes for Naeka's breasts. Though he quickly eyes Fubuki's after he gets slammed in the head again.
- Slasher Smile—As seen in the picture. Notably, it is not a temporary expression. Even when in Latex Perfection disguise, Kogarashi can't get his teeth to unpoint.
- Super Window Jump—Parodied with Liz/Strawberry Mask. After successfully pulling off the jump, Liz realizes that she leapt out a third story window without planning. Ow.
- Take That—Comedic as this series may be, it can also be interpreted as a biting commentary on the sheer ridiculous nature of maid fandom/fetish in the otaku community.
- Technopath—Kogarashi can also communicate with electronics, simply by stuffing a USB cable in his ear. Because he's JUST that good.
- Tempting Fate—Episode seven has a good example. Naeka, ready to train, feels as though she could take on a bear. Cue bear. Though this can also be seen as a much more immediate version of the Gilligan Cut.
- The Jimmy Hart Version—Kogarashi's theme is very similar to a certain theme of a certain movie series.
- Those Two Guys—Eiko and Miwa, Naeka's sometimes friends.
- Trash of the Titans—Kogarashi and Fubuki turn Naeka's house from something unlivable into a normal house. Which is probably the other reason why they need live in maids.
- Twelve-Episode Anime: Plus, an OVA, Summer and a Lot of Breasts.
- Unsound Effect—All of Kogarashi's sound effects are narrated... by him.
- Unstoppable Rage—Kogarashi after resurrecting, goes a little crazier than normal.
- Wig, Dress, Accent—Subverted with Strawberry Mask/Liz.
- Verbal Tic—Kogarashi has a tendency to say "kukuku" a lot. Kukuku.
- X-Ray Vision—Maid Guy Scanner!
- Yuppie Couple—The fish store owner.
- Yuri and Even the Girls Want Her[context?]