A Certain Magical Index/Characters/A Certain Scientific Railgun Supporting Cast
Even though they do very occasionally make a blink-and-you'll-miss-it cameo appearance in the Index franchise proper, their have more prominence and importance to the Railgun story as a rule, and hence are introduced here.
- Voiced by Atsuko Tanaka
Harumi Kiyama is a character in the A Certain Scientific Railgun manga and anime. She is the primary antagonist of the first storyline and becomes a supporting character in the second storyline of the anime adaptation. She is the creator of the Level Upper, a sound in which when used allowed the user's abilities to become stronger.
- A-Cup Angst: Also pointed out by one of her students, although in reality she's about average.
- Adorkable: Super-Deformed mode, after being scolded by Kuroko and Saten for taking off her stained skirt: "But no man would take interest in my flat and unattractive body anyway." Aww...
- Anti-Villain: She's one of the few villains of the series who's goals are the most noble; she trying to find a way to cure her comatose students when the normal means were denied to her. So noble her goals that Mikoto’s willing to forgive her and help her if she choose another way.
- Badass Abnormal: Temporarily gains access to many esper abilities through the Level Upper network.
- Badass Bookworm
- Badass Teacher
- Cloudcuckoolander: "My it's getting hot; time to take off my blouse... hey what's wrong?"
- Cool Car: She drives a Lamborghini Gallardo! ... That's one hell of a salary she's got...
- Ditzy Genius: Very intelligent, but lacks a shred of common sense.
- Hot Mom: For all intents and purposes, she’s the only mother that the Child Errors under her care have.
- Hot Scientist
- Hot Teacher
- I Am Not Pretty: Unfortunately, that the way she sees herself.
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: "Why are you so concerned? My skirt got dirtied, of course I should take it off,"
- Kick the Dog: Not her, but what Academy City did to her students.
- Mad Scientist: "Not quite normal" is putting it politely even if she’s a very nice person.
- Mama Bear: To her students}
- Motherly Scientist: The Trope Namer and Trope Codifier of the 'They're like my own children' scenario.
- Nerds Are Sexy: Sadly she doesn't see it.
- No Nudity Taboo: While she doesn't get totally naked she seems surprised that people get upset when she removes her top or skirt after they get soiled or if she's too hot.
- Superpower Lottery: Via the Level Upper, she has access to virtually hundreds of low-level Esper abilities. It's a helluva lot more dangerous than it sounds, demonstrated when she curb-stomped an entire Anti-Skill swat-team, and even gave Mikoto a run for her money.
- Parental Substitute: To the cruelly named and casually abandoned "Child Errors" of Academy City.
- Tender Tears: Being reunited with her cured students.
- Unkempt Beauty: She has bags under her eyes.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: In a subversion, unlike most antagonists in the Index/Railgun, she's well aware whats she doing with Level Upper’s wrong but as least she cares about the people who use it and premade a cure for them once she's done using the Level Upper Network.
- Voiced by Kana Ueda
A high school student and Chief of the 177th Branch of Judgment, where Uiharu and Kuroko work. As their sempai before becoming chief, she tries to make sure both girls do their work at Judgment seriously and at the same time want them to be safe. She is a Level 3 Esper with a power called Clairvoyance which, despite what the name implies, is actually X-Ray Vision.
- Ascended Extra: Originally a nameless member of Judgment in the manga, her role was significantly expanded in the Railgun anime.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: Averted in that, although she has a lower Power Level (Level 3) than Kuroko (who’s a Level 4) she actually outranks the Lovable Psycho Lesbian in terms of bureaucratic authority.
- And as shown in the omake of Railgun's Manga Volume 5, in terms of raw skill she is more than a match for Kuroko as a Martial Artist.
- Badass Adorable
- Badass Biker: It comes in awful handy when your younger friends need to get to a battle “fast.”
- Boobs of Steel: The strongest physical fighter in her branch, and also the most well-endowed.
- Bring My Red Jacket: Played with. She owns a red biker's jacket that she wears when events turn serious, but she's never shown to be injured.
- Cool Big Sis: To the younger girls in the Railgun cast.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Linked to the fact that she was once a member of a gang of...
- Delinquents: Which’s a diametric opposite of the side of the law she’s on right now.
- Desperately Looking for a Purpose In Life: What led to her joining Big Spider, and subsequently Judgment.
- Heart Is an Awesome Power: X-ray vision may not seem to be that impressive on its own, but when that means never being surprised by concealed weapons, coupled with her bone-breaking martial-arts skills, it makes her more than a formidable match in battle.
- Hello, Nurse!: The scene where she appears in her delicious swimsuit.
- Improbable Age: She's the chief of the 177th branch of Judgment, which is justified since all members of Judgment are young Esper students.
- Ms. Fanservice
- Nice Girl
- Reasonable Authority Figure: More of a "Good Cop" than Kuroko in the Judgment Brigade.
- Specs of Awesome
- Stupid Sexy Flanders: So devastatingly sexy in her swimsuit that she's able to provoke this reaction from the straight girls of the cast. And the Misakasexual. And a female snake.
- Team Mom: When a voice of calm and mature reason is needed amongst the girls.
- Together Umbrella: She drew one which had her name and that of her sempai at one of her old hangouts when she was a delinquent, but said sempai scratched it out, believing that kind of relationship wouldn't work out for them and because he wanted her to have a better life.
- X-Ray Vision
- Younger Than They Look: She's a high school student? With that body?
See the Tokiwadai page.
Tokiwadai Dormitory Supervisor
See the Tokiwadai page.
- Voiced by Katsuyuki Konishi
Kurozuma Wataru is character introduced in the A Certain Scientific Railgun anime. He is a Skill-Out member and is the founder and former leader of one of the largest Skill-Out factions, Big Spider.
- Badass Normal
- Berserk Button: "You're hitting girls? That is not cool."
- He'll also kick your ass if you make him drop his milk.
- Big Brother Mentor: To Mii Konori, who he sees as a surrogate little-sister. For Mii's part, she wishes it were something more...
- Casting Gag: He has a few parallels with Kamina, Katsuyuki's most famous role: both are eccentric Badass Normal Delinquents with signature tattoos and virtually the same "voice" out of Katsuyuki's many.
- Chivalrous Pervert: The rare anime male that can sincerely make comments about a girl's figure without causing offense.
- Face of a Thug: Averted; in spite of being the singular most Badass Level Zero in Academy City, he has easily the kindest and gentlest appearance of all the males in the franchise, Touma included.
- First Love: For Mii Konori.
- Nice Guy
- One-Man Army: Stands out in Academy City for being a real Level 0 (unlike Touma) who is able to neutralize dozens of armed combatants, including those with firearms, with his Martial Arts abilities alone. It's quite likely that it's through his tutelage that Mii is such a formidable Martial Artist herself.
- Put on a Bus: Literally, to jail. Do note though that he and Mii parted on very good terms.
- Tattooed Crook: Subverted; his tattoo, which is badge of his loyalty to Big-Spider, does not stop him from being a kind gentleman and absolute sweetheart.
- We Hardly Knew Ye
- Wife-Basher Basher: Plays it straighter than Touma.
Therestina Kihara Lifeline
- Voiced by Sayaka Ohara
The head of Multi Active Rescue unit or "MAR", a search and rescue unit, and an anime-exclusive character from A Certain Scientific Railgun.
She's also the main antagonist of the second arc of the A Certain Scientific Railgun anime. She is the granddaughter of famous scientist Gensei Kihara and is related to Hound Dog's commander Amata Kihara. Like her grandfather, she is obsessed in achieving the creation of a Level 6 Esper.
- Big Bad: Of the second half of A Certain Scientific Railgun.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Dear God is she ever! When she first appears, she seems like a Reasonable Authority Figure, right up to the point where her relationship to Gensei is revealed. She then throws away all pretenses and ceases to pretend to be anything other than utterly despicable and totally batshit insane!
- Bond Villain Stupidity: She literally had all the heroes at her feet in the end of Episode 24... unfortunately she was too busy gloating and kicking our heroes while they were down to wonder just WHY little Uiharu would ask where the control room to the "Capacity Down" was when she could not even get up to deactivate it...
- Combat Pragmatist: She curb-stomps Mikoto after neutralizing her electrical powers with the Capacity Down.
- Evil Laugh: Of a variety so fucked up and crazy that its horrific.
- Expy: If she makes you think of Beatrice from “Umineko no Naku Koro ni”, you're not the only one. Guess who voiced her.
- The Fake Cutie
- The Fatalist: She believes that all the inhabitants of Academy City are nothing more than guinea pigs.
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul
- Grandpa's Little Villain
- Hannibal Lecture: Delivered with a railgun... and answered back in kind by Mikoto.
- Hey, It's That Voice!: Did Beatrice just invade when she went batshit in Episode 23?
- Hot Scientist
- Mad Scientist: As expected of a Kihara.
- Lack of Empathy
- Mad Scientist's Beautiful Granddaughter: Played straight, as she's certainly easy on the eyes, and the man responsible for the experiment that put those kids Kiyama’s trying to save in their comas? He's her grandfather. Subverted too: she's going to complete the experiment.
- Powered Armor: Pilots one along with the rest of MAR.
- Humongous Mecha: Also pilots one of these... while wearing her powered armor.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: She's quite happy to cooperate with Judgment right up until the point where her relationship to Gensei is revealed, at which point all pretenses fall down like the walls of Jericho.
- Rocket Punch: Her Humongous Mecha packs four of them.
- Slasher Smile: OH GOD THAT ACCURSED SMILE.
- Social Darwinist
- The Sociopath
- Specs of Awesome
- Stuff Blowing Up: Fights with a grenade launcher and later her own Railgun.
- Sweet Tooth: She really likes her candies.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: She is a Social Darwinist after all.