A Certain Magical Index/Characters/Necessarius
The secret, magical branch of the Church of England. Formerly an anti-magic organization founded by the English Puritans, it is now a magical organization that defends Britain from magical threats.
Voiced by: Ayako Kawasumi
Lola Stuart is the Archbishop of Necessarius and also the English Anglican Church. Despite being the Archbishop, she looks like an eighteen-year-old girl with long blonde hair that's 2.5 times her height; other than that, few details about her are known. New Testament Volume 18 reveals that she's actually Lola Zaza Crowley, Aleister's second daughter. But for the entire series, her body has been possessed by the demon Coronzon, who'd been summoned by Aleister's mentor Mathers in order to ruin him.
- Adult Child: For all her mind-games and grand plots, most of the time you'll find her acting her appearance instead of her age.
- Ambiguously Evil: She's done just as many evil deeds as she has good ones. It's hard to say whether she's a good person, a bad one or simply a neutral one. With the revelation of her/its real personality, it's safe to say that it's evil.
Stiyl: ""No one is better than her in manipulating human feelings, rationality, interests, ethics, and necessary values. The hidden dragon among magicians, she’s somehow able to get to the top, and it’s not done cheaply."
- Authority Equals Asskicking: The leader of Necessarius, and a very competent magician - Knight Leader estimates her as being stronger than Kaori.
- Batman Gambit: She knows very well which strings she should pull to control her subordinates.
- Beware the Nice Ones: She may look like a sweet, innocent teenager but people have to remember that she's the Archbishop of Necessarius. She's not afraid to use the powers bestowed upon her to eliminate her enemies in whatever means, all while she's smiling at you.
- Bunny Ears Lawyer: Despite how childishly she acts, there's a reason she's the Archbishop.
- The Chessmaster: She's capable of regularly matching wits with and sometimes even out-maneuver Aleister Crowley. If that doesn't qualify you nothing will.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Ditzy, somewhat absentminded, and goofy. They doesn't stop her from being an extraordinarily cunning bitch.
- Demonic Possession: Has been possessed by Coronzon since the very beginning.
- Dissonant Serenity
- Mad Scientist's Beautiful Daughter: She's Aleister's daughter, though he was still a magician at the time she was born.
- Manipulative, Magnificent Bitch How magnificent is she? Let's start with the Book of Law incident.
- Odd Friendship: With Queen Elizard.
- Older Than They Look: Her appearance hasn't changed that much since ten years ago. She'd be more than a century old, assuming that she shares the same date of birth as her real-life counterpart (1907).
- Rapunzel Hair: It's literally 2.5 times her height, needing to be looped several times just to avoid touching the ground. Coronzon can manifest a sinister demonic face within the hair.
- Running Gag: It's only shown once in the anime, but in the novels, Lola would often have her serious conversations derailed by the person in question awkwardly asking her why her Japanese sounds so weird (all thanks to Tsuchimikado teaching her Japanese). In a very awkward moment, Aleister even offered to send a Japanese teacher to help her out.
Stiyl -- "...don’t tell me you used such a stupid way of speaking to negotiate with the representatives from Academy City."
- Stuff Blowing Up: How she escapes being tied up in Windsor Castle.
- Telepathy: She possesses charms which facilitate this effect.
Fortis931 -- I Prove Why My Name is the Strongest Here
Voiced by: Kissho Taniyama
A sorcerer from Necessarius. His sorcery name is Fortis931. He’s an extremely heavy smoker, and claims a world without nicotine would be hell. He specializes in using runes to invoke his power over fire. He has a short temper but is actually very kind, as he cares about Index very much and used to travel around the world by her side when she copied the original grimoires into her mind. His failure to save her life without taking away her memories is his greatest regret.
- Bar Code Tattoo: Under the left eye.
- Badass Longcoat
- Bodyguard Crush: To Index
- Code Name: Magic Name: Fortis931
- Demoted to Extra: Was originally one of the most active characters in the series, but hasn't done much since Volume 10.
- Glass Cannon: With his flame spells and summoning he can wreck some serious damage. Too bad he could be taken down fairly easily.
- Hidden Heart of Gold
- Japanese Pronouns: Unusually for a coarse and cynical chain-smoking badass, he uses the “polite” masculine pronoun "Boku" as opposed to the coarse masculine "Ore" that other men of his archetype would typically use. Of course, he's actually fourteen years old.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Playing with Fire: His magic is fire based.
- Pretentious Latin Motto: "I prove why my name is the strongest here".
- Ship Tease: With Komoe-sensei of all people in the SP volume.
- Smoking Is Cool
- Squishy Wizard: Touma knocks him out with a single punch on numerous occasions.
- The Worf Effect: Moreso in the novels and sidestories than in the anime, but still very prominent.
- Tsundere: He says this to Touma: "It's not like I want to be friends with you." While peeling him an apple.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Despite constant insistence that he doesn't like Touma, they do seem to hang out alot.
- We Have Ways of Making You Talk: Threatens Biagio and Lidvia with this while in the London Tower's prison chambers.
- Younger Than They Look: He's 14.
Salvare000 -- Be the Salvation of Those Who Cannot Be Saved
Voiced by: Shizuka Itou
An eighteen-year-old magician from Necessarius. Unlike her partner Stiyl, she uses magic to magically strengthen her body. Her sorcery name is Salvare000. She uses a two-meter-long nodachi called "Seven Heavens Seven Swords" as her weapon, and she has a special attack called Nanasen (Seven Flashes) that uses her sword and thin steel wires. She is also one of the world's fewer than twenty Saints.
- Action Girl
- Alliterative Name
- Badass: Hell yes. She's a Saint, for Christ's sake!
- Bare Your Midriff
- Boobs of Steel
- BFS: Her sword "Shichiten Shichitou" (Seven Heavens, Seven Swords).
- Breakout Character: Got her own spin-off mini novel.
- Code Name: Magic name: Salvare000
- Cool Big Sis
- Combat Cowboy Boots
- Cosplay: She's reluctantly forced into wearing the "Fallen Angel Ero Maid" costume at one point.
- Cursed with Awesome: She's a Saint. She feels that this required too many sacrifices.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Thanks to Touma.
- Does Not Like Shoes: Used to fight barefoot and in a kimono back when she was leader of the Amakusa. Randomly omitted in the anime.
- Every Girl Is Cuter With Hair Decs
- Every Japanese Sword Is a Katana: Technically it's a Nodachi.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: Just look at her clothes. She's actually invoking this in order for her magic to work.
- Finishing Move: Her Seven Flashes ("Nanasen") is also called "certain death".
- Going Commando
- Hidden Heart of Gold
- Honor Before Reason
- Hot Amazon
- Hot Chick with a Sword
- Kung Fu Jesus: Being a Saint.
- Lady of War
- Lightning Bruiser: Her supersonic speed is so stunning that Touma's reflexes can hardly keep track of her.
- Mama Bear: Though she left her former comrades, the Amakusa Catholics, she still cares about them and will start a battle if they are in danger even if that means starting a war between churches. She’s also deeply worried about Touma, who solved her personal problems for her and made her a Defrosting Ice Queen.
- Meaningful Name: "Kaori" can be translated as "Fire Weave" and "Kanzaki" as "God's Tear".
- Nerves of Steel
- Never Live It Down: In-universe; when she meets up with Touma in Volume 17, the only thing he could associate her with was the "Fallen Angel Erotic Maid" costume that she wore off-screen.
- Person of Mass Destruction: Explicitly compared to a nuclear weapon at one point. Her existence is part of the existing military equilibrium that keeps the Magic Side from breaking into open war.
- Pretentious Latin Motto: "Be the salvation of those who cannot be saved".
- Prophetic Name: Saint of the Far East.
- Purple Eyes
- Rapunzel Hair: Like Index’s it falls past her knees.
- Razor Floss: Nanasen, seven wires that she manipulates with her fingers.
- Razor Wind: When she swings her sword.
- Sugar and Ice Personality
- Super Speed: Like other Saints, she's capable of moving at supersonic speeds, being able to attack dozens of times every second. In Volume 8, she managed to attack 21 individual, airborne targets in the span of a second, and even then she held back so she wouldn't accidentally kill them.
- Tall, Dark and Bishoujo
- The Heroine: On the series and in own side-stories light novel series.
- The Rival: Has a friendly rivalry with her kohai, Itsuwa. The source of the rivalry? They both like the same guy!
- The Stoic
- Thou Shall Not Kill: Due to wanting to save everyone. Exploited in NT Volume 10, where Touma deliberately jumps off a flying fortress to force her to save him.
- Tranquil Fury
- The Worf Effect: She seems to be used as a measuring stick for other more powerful characters and thus doesn't seem to get to win fights very much. This is taken to its logical conclusion when she's defeated by Knight Leader in one hit, without even landing an attack on him.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: She doesn't quite make it but in the side stories it's clear that she's trying to be as much like this as she can.
- Younger Than They Look: In Volume 7, Touma flatly disbelieves the idea that she’s only eighteen. She might have found it an acceptable error if he hadn't gone for the opposite end of the spectrum when guessing her age.
Intimus115 -- I Offer Everything to My Lost Friend
Voiced by: Akeno Watanabe
Her sorcery name is Intimus115, "Everything I offer to my lost friend". A member of Necessarius and a talented "Decoder", she has dark skin and wears a black Gothic Lolita dress. Her blonde hair is unkempt and according to Tsuchimikado, she has the silhouette of a lion. She is a master of Kabbalah Statue art and utilizes oil pastel or chalk to draw a spell to summon a golem Sherry refers to as "Ellis".
- Ambiguously Jewish
- Code Name: Magic name: Intimus115
- Dark-Skinned Blond
- Dishing Out Dirt: She forms her golem out of rock, concrete and similar materials.
- Golem: Ellis
- Heel Face Turn: She rejoins Necessarius after being defeated in Volume 6.
- Hopeless with Tech: Subverted. Unlike the others in the Necessarius dorm, she actually bothers to read the instructions on their washing machine.
- Odd Friendship: With Orsola Aquinas.
- Pretentious Latin Motto: "Everything I offer to my lost friend".
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: When her best friend, an esper named Ellis was killed due to a joint experiment between Academy City and Necessarius to create the first esper/mage hybrid, she blames both sides and tries to ignite a war between the two to separate both sides forever.
See the Kamisato Faction page.
- First, she asks the Knights of England for help to rescue Orsola Aquinas from the Amakusa Catholics, Kaori Kanzaki's former group. The Knights, being prideful jerkassess (Necessarius and the Knights have a uneasy relationship) decide to rescue Orsola all by themselves and kill the Amakusas. Unfortunately, Kaori doesn't take this too kindly and beats the crap outta them. Later, Lola sends Stiyl, Touma and Index to help Agnese and her battle nuns rescue Orsola. But then it is revealed the battle nuns came to kill Orsola as she knows how decode the Book of Law, so we assume Lola wants Orsola because of that. However by the end of incident, it is revealed Lola wasn't after Orsola but the Amakusas themselves, who by now have joined Necessarius for protection for their actions against Agnese's nuns and the Roman Catholic Church. The reason? By having the Amakusas under her control, Lola makes sure that Kaori remains loyal to Necessarius and has incentive not to betray them. Another plus for her? Not only did she gain a skilled decoder (despite her not actually being able to decode the Book all along), she even humiliated the Knights and gained the favor of the Queen!