Naruto/Characters/Hidden Mist Village
Zabuza and Haku both display example of:
- Public Domain Character: Zabuza and Haku are based on Kirigakure no Saizo (Saizo of the Hidden Mist), a legendary ninja who also lends his nickname to the Hidden Mist Village. Zabuza got the Badass reputation and his supposed fog-based abilities as well as his Water dragon, which here is just another Water jutsu, while Haku got the feminine appearance and cross-dressing.
The first major antagonist of the series, a renegade shinobi from the Hidden Mist Village hired to kill Tazuna the bridge-builder.
Before the series, he lead a coup attempting to oust the Mizukage and take control of the Village for himself; this failed, and Zabuza barely escaped with his life. Since then, he's been hiring out his sword to the highest bidder, hoping to raise enough funds for another go at the Mizukage.
Zabuza was one of the Seven Swordsmen of the Mist (like Kisame), making him one the strongest ninja in the Hidden Mist Village before his defection. He knows a great deal of Water-Style jutsu and has the ability to shroud himself in mist, making himself invisible. Plus, of course, he's got a BFS. In a slight subversion of the Sorting Algorithm of Evil, Zabuza was far too strong for Naruto or Sasuke as they were at the beginning of the series to take on; they had to leave him to Kakashi.
Zabuza attacked Team 7 twice during the Land of Waves arc, first with a collection of hirelings, then with his protege Haku. He battled Kakashi to a draw both times before Haku's Heroic Sacrifice caused him to turn on and kill his employer, Gato. He dies in the process, and asks to be buried along with Haku.
In Shippuden, Sasuke takes Suigetsu to Zabuza's grave so that Suigetsu can take Zabuza's BFS. Much later, Kabuto resurrects him and Haku with Edo Tensei, and he is not the least bit happy about it. He is quickly defeated by Kakashi.
- Anti-Villain: His attitude was strictly professional, and the Mizukage he killed or tried to kill wasn't exactly a good guy.
- Back From the Dead: He's rather pissed off about it too.
- BFS: Weapon of choice. It is named the Kubikiribōchō ("Decapitating Carving Knife").
- Bloodbath Villain Origin
- Blood Magic: His sword regenerates and repairs itself using the iron in an enemies blood.
- Contract on the Hitman: Gato hires a bunch of mercenaries to kill Zabuza, who has become a "liability". Backfires BIG time.
- Cynical Mentor: To Haku.
- Cutlass Between the Teeth: See below.
- Deadly Graduation/Enfant Terrible: When he was a kid, he killed an entire graduating class of pre-genin, 100 total, despite not even being a student himself.
- Determinator: Even with his arms out of commission, he charges through a whole mob of hired thugs and cuts through them with nothing but a kunai held in his mouth just so he can get to and kill Gato; not even being stabbed from every angle is enough to impede him.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Expresses his disgust with Gato for double crossing him (and desecrating Haku's corpse), and is extremely pissed off because Kabuto brought him and several others back from the dead to use as mindless drones.
"This is bullshit, I don't want to fight for someone who would stoop this low."
- Excalibur in the Rust: The Legendary sword Kubikiri Hōchō...is pretty much an oversized cleaver with a very slow Healing Factor. Compared to, say Kisame sword it can be quite a letdown... until you see why it got the name.
- Fingerless Gloves
- Heart Is an Awesome Power: One of the deadliest ninja in the Naruto-verse. And he is by using... mist, basic water ninjutsu, a relatively normal BFS, and well fined skulking. He's good enough with using the mist that Kabuto actually goes out of his way to make sure that the rest of the swordsmen act as meat shields so that he can keep the mist up.
- I Cannot Self-Terminate: Begs Kakashi to stop him and Haku as he feels his mind is being sealed away by Kabuto.
- Implausible Fencing Powers: He is a member of the seven swordman of the mist, but besides that, he was good enough to force Kakashi to face him with the Sharingan and killed dozens of Ninjas in seconds after being revived by Kabuto.
- Knight of Cerebus
- Lightning Bruiser
- Making a Splash
- Manly Tears:
Zabuza: You talk too much. Your words cut deep... deeper than any blade. While he fought you, his heart was breaking in two. You see, Haku was always too soft and too kind. He felt pain and sorrow, and now, curse him, I feel them, too!"
- Master Swordsman
- More Teeth Than the Osmond Family: Has them under his facial wraps.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: The Demon of the Mist
- Not So Stoic: Shows this at the end of his life, as he notes that not even he can completely kill his emotions.
- Professional Killer: He makes it clear that he has nothing against the people in his way; business is just business.
- Punch Clock Villain
- Rasputinian Death: Only Zoro had taken so much damage and continued fighting. There is a reason why he is the Poster Man of HP.
- Redemption Equals Death: When he realizes how much Haku meant to him, he charges Gato and his men, killing them but being mortally wounded in the process. His arms were both disabled, but he could still hold a kunai with his mouth to take out Gato.
- See You in Hell / Taking You with Me: Pulls one of these on his traitorous employer Gato.
- So Proud of You: To Haku at his last moments of life and done after the resurrection via Kakashi.
- Sink or Swim Mentor: To Haku, who deemed as a weapon and forced him to kill his "heart" but was secretly proud of him all along.
- Starter Villain: At first
- Stealth Expert: He specialized in stealth kills which he enforced with the Hidden Mist jutsu.
- The Svengali: He gets better.
- Unwanted Revival
- Weapon Tombstone: Until Suigetsu retrieved it.
- Why Won't You Die?: Last words of Gato. Pretty Justified.
- Worthy Opponent: Considers Kakashi to be one. Acknowledges Naruto as one before his death.
Haku was born in a cold village orphaned during the wars. At the time, there was a prejudice against people with kekkai genkai; unfortunately, Haku's mother had one, which he inherited.. When Haku's dad and the villagers learnt it, they killed Haku's mom and tried to kill him, but he killed them with his newfound powers instead and ran away. Zabuza encountered him and, thinking he might be useful, took him in and raised him. After only a few years, Haku was almost as good an assassin as Zabuza himself.
An Anti-Villain, Haku serves Zabuza because he lacks any other sense of purpose in life, claiming to be nothing more than Zabuza's tool. Zabuza treats him as such.
Haku's kekkai genkai, the one he got from his Missing Mom, allows him to fuse the water and wind elements to generate ice. He uses this ability to perform the devasting Demonic Ice Mirrors (Crystal Ice Mirrors in the dub) jutsu. Demonic Ice Mirrors generates a dome of mirrorlike panes of ice around his opponents, each with an image of Haku reflected in them. Haku can travel between the panes at high speed, attacking with needle-like senbon while in transit. The panes are all but indestructible, so Haku can fight defensively, avoiding damage and wearing his opponents down bit by bit. It takes the combined power of Sasuke's Sharingan developing and the Nine-Tailed Fox's chakra manifesting for the first time to break the mirrors.
Haku first appears after Zabuza's first encounter with Team 7 disguised as a Mist Village "hunter-nin", claiming that he's been assigned to kill Zabuza for betraying the Village. In reality, however, Haku merely stunned Zabuza, allowing the pair to escape unharmed. He later appears to give Naruto some advice (since Haku was wearing a mask during their first encounter, Naruto didn't recognize him), and then again at the arc's climactic battle on the bridge, where he engages Naruto and Sasuke while Zabuza faces down Kakashi (and poor Sakura, uh, looks on helplessly, since she's stuck shielding Tazuna). After a lengthy battle, Haku jumps in front of Zabuza to protect him from Kakashi's Lightning Blade. Zabuza, realizing how much he valued Haku's companionship, ceases his pursuit of Tazuna and turns on Gato, killing him and lots of his minions in a desperate and badass Foe-Tossing Charge before he dies.
Kabuto later resurrects him and Zabuza with Edo Tensei. He sacrifices himself (again) to prevent Kakashi from killing Zabuza.
- An Ice Person: Courtesy of his kekkei genkai/bloodline limit: Ice Release
- Artistic Age: Despite appearing almost younger than anyone in Team 7, he's actually 15.
- Battle Butler
- Cool Mask
- Dropped a Bridget On Him: Drops one on a thoroughly confused Naruto.
Haku: And by the way? I'm a man.
Naruto: NO WAAAAAAAY!
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: And How.
- Flechette Storm: His Thousand Stinging Water Needles of Death which also serves as an example of Death in All Directions.
- Fragile Speedster: He's noticeably vulnerable provided you can catch him.
- Heroic Sacrifice: His self-assigned purpose is to serve and protect Zabuza, even if it costs him his life. Twice.
- Magic Mirror: His Demonic Crystal Ice Mirrors which serve as a Portal Network.
- My Master, Right or Wrong: Assists Zabuza (sometimes contrary to his orders) even though he's a criminal, although he does put Sasuke into a death-like state rather than kill him.
- Pressure Point: Specializes in hitting these with acupuncture needles, can do this well enough to induce false death in the heat of battle.
- Rule 63: Female versions of Haku are very common in fanfiction.
- Self-Made Orphan: Killed his father in self-defense.
- Sorting Algorithm of Evil: Haku is an aversion of this trope. The boys were majorly outclassed with this one -- they were just incredibly lucky that he's a Technical Pacifist.
- Taking The Chidori: For Zabuza. Twice.
- Technical Pacifist: Finds it hard to kill people. Results in a lot of Faux Death at his hands.
- Villainous Crossdresser / Wholesome Crossdresser: His pink civvies cause Naruto to mistake him for a girl. (As for Villainous vs. Wholesome... he's an Anti-Villain, remember?)
- What Happened to the Mouse?: In a way, for he is the only ninja capable of one handed seals no even Itachi could do that.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: One of the very rare male examples. It doesn't help that he really looks like one.
Voiced By: Yurika Hino (JP)
Real name: Mei Terumi.
The beautiful adult woman who is currently leader of the Village Hidden in the Mist and apparently relatively new to the position. She does not remember the previous leadership fondly. Tends to coddle her younger bodyguard.
During the Kage Summit, she acts rather dodgy when asked about rumors that Akatsuki formed in her village, and when she finds out Danzo is capable of Mind Control she suspects him of using it on the previous Mizukage. She manages to nearly kill Sasuke during the meeting, and is currently helping to guard the daimyo of the Shinobi Countries.
- Action Girl: A very efficient one, for a change.
- Anime Hair: How does she do this?!
- Authority Equals Asskicking: You bet!
- Black Mage: She avoids getting in the thick of things preferring to unleash barrages of elemental ninjutsu from a distance.
- Berserk Button: The mere mention of anything regarding her age or relationship status (or lack thereof) within earshot. It doesn't even have to be directed or about her. It doesn't even have actually be a mention of age or relationships, but similar sounding words.
- Breath Weapon: She has various techniques which involve shooting things out of her mouth.
- Christmas Cake: She takes issue with any comment even vaguely related to her age or ability to get married.
- Dissonant Serenity: Maintains a smile on her face and a cheerful attitude even when making a death threat or trying to melt off someone face.
- Elemental Powers: She has several.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Several female fans do, but it's hard not to see why.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: She gracefully wipes a drop of dissolving goo she spat out from her mouth. It looks like it's white and kinda thick. It doesn't help that she looks hungrily at it and comments on Sasuke's handsomeness while doing so. Doesn't apply in the anime where the color shows she is wiping lava from her mouth.
- Hot Amazon: Would she be considered so attractive if she wasn't this strong? Probably not.
- Impossibly Low Neckline: If it wasn't for her chainmail, we could probably see her nipples... Though given the nature of chainmail, we probably already could.
- Lady of War: Fights one of the strongest missing nin with one of the most dangerous jutsu without a single hair out of place.
- Meaningful Name: "Mei Terumi" actually means "Shining beauty".
- Mrs. Robinson: She spends her entire conversations with Sasuke pointing how he is at her taste − and let's not even mention the "mouth-wiping" scene. Sasuke is 16 for God's sake! She is also a bit too attentionate to Chōjūrō − not that the latter minds, really.
- Ms. Fanservice: Her incredible hotness is jokingly considered a bloodline limit in its own right on some forums.
- Pre-Ass-Kicking One-Liner: To Sasuke, saying he is cute before melting freaking Susanoo with a single attack.
- Rapunzel Hair: It goes almost all the way down to the floor even though she's wearing it in a long top knot.
- Superpowerful Genetics: Superpowerful enough to be blessed with two blood inheritances.
- Superpower Lottery: In addition to having control over three regular elements, she also has two bloodline limits each giving her another element.
- Story-Breaker Power: Her Boil Release managed to melt Susanoo in seconds making it the single strongest heat attack until now... and barely taxes her at all.
- Twisting the Words: May take any random comment as a statement about her age or relationship status (or lack thereof), even if that person wasn't talking to or about her.
Ao: What have you engaged for us to eat tonight? You have arranged our meals, Chojuro, haven't you?
Mei: (thinking) Engaged... Engaged to be married?!
- You Need to Get Laid: Self-imposed and doubles as her Berserk button.
Voiced By: Tadahisa Saizen (JP) Steve Blum (EN)
One of the Mizukage's body guards. Middle-aged and wears an eyepatch. Critical of his teammate Chojuro's indecisiveness, likely as a result of his upbringing during the time when the village was known as "the Blood Mist".
When Mifune suggest Danzo to lead the inter-village effort against Akatsuki, Ao reveals that he has a Byakugan under his eyepatch and uses it to discover that Danzo's eye and arm are that of a ninja he previously fought named Shisui Uchiha, who had the ability to control others minds without their knowledge. He then goes after Danzo's group when they flee, but falls for Fu's trap, with Danzo not too happy about him possessing abilities taken from a Konoha ninja. He is eventually saved by the 5th Mizukage and Chojuro, and is currently serving in the Allied Shinobi Forces as captain of the Sensor Division.
- Catch and Return
- Cool Old Guy
- Crazy Prepared: His paper-tag earrings, which have seals on them to protect his Byakugan.
- Evil Eye
- Eyepatch of Power: Conceals a Byakugan eye, which he received from a member of the Hyuga clan that he fought in battle. Thanks to the way the Byakugan works, he doesn't even have to remove the eyepatch to use it.
- Geometric Magic: His sealed earrings.
- My Significance Sense Is Tingling
- Paper Talisman: His earrings which have a powerful sealing jutsu that form a barrier to protect his Byakugan.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
Voiced By: Kouki Miyata (JP)
Like Ao, he is another bodyguard to Mei Terumi, the 5th Mizukage. One of the 7 Swordsmen of the Mist. Now that Zabuza & Kisame are dead, the only real one left. Frequently annoys Ao because he stutters and seems to lack self-confidence.
After accompanying the Mizukage to the Kage Summit, he is currently helping her guard the daimyo of the Shinobi Countries.
- Badass Adorable
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Consistently chastised for his timid nature and indecisiveness, but when things get heated -- or the Mizukage needs him -- he's ready to rock.
- Cute Shotaro Boy
- Drop the Hammer: It turns out that his sword creates a big hammer made of chakra when released.
- Hey, It's That Voice!: Hanataro, desu!
- Likes Older Women: Has a crush on the older Mizukage. Her very peculiar attention to him, does nothing to help.
- Master Swordsman: Only one of the Seven Shinobi Swordsmen to still be loyal to the Hidden Mist
- Meganekko: A rare male example.
- More Teeth Than the Osmond Family
- Nerd Glasses
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: Looks a bit like Chester Bennington.
- Shrinking Violet: A lighter version, and a very rare male example.
- Swiss Army Weapon: Hiramekarei can create an aura of different weapons out of chakra.
- Wave Motion Sword: Of the extended Laser Blade variety.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
Real name: Unknown, it's only implied that he's from the Hozuki clan.
One of most powerful Shinobi, The Second Mizukage was a respected leader of Kirigakure. He was killed during the last confrontation against the Second Tsuchikage Mu, killing him at the same time. Kabuto's Edo Tensei brought him back to life to face the Shinobi Alliance in the 4 Ninja War. Besides being a very tall mustached man with large poofy hair, curious way of dressing and with no eyebrows, not much is known about him other than he was a Master of Illusion, a laid back and very charismatic leader concerned with the wellfare of the Secret World and that he loathed the Second Tsuchikage. It is revealed in chapter 556 that he was a member of the Hozuki clan, like Suigetsu and his brother. Uniquely to the former two his hydrification technique manifests itself in the form of producing an oily, water like substance.
- Arch Enemy: To the 2nd Tsuchikage.
- A Father to His Men: Stated to be this to his Shinobis during his reign and even after being brought back, he was more concerned with the fate of his subordinates than his own zombified self.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: Like all kages.
- Badass Mustache
- Berserk Button: While very laid back and charismatic, Mu could send him in a rage with only two words. He was also was pretty upset that the Shinobi army couldn't hurt him at all.
- Black and Gray Morality: While he is morally ambiguous like other Shinobi, Mu's underhanded and selfish goals piss him off completely.
- Blood Knight: For all his unwillingness to fight and kill the Shinobi Alliance's ninjas, once Gaara showed up and turned out to pose a challenge, he admitted that the fighting was getting to be fun. A wee bit too fun, even.
- Cross-Popping Veins
- Curb Stomp Battle: Unlike the other two Kages, he managed to destroy "his" batallion, and Gaara is barely standing after facing him.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Didn't See That Coming: His death at hands of Mu. He also was shocked that the Fourth Batallion could barely make him sweat.
- Fan Nickname: Trollkage.
- Finger Gun: His water finger technique. It also serves as a Call Back to Suigetsu's debut when he threatened Sasuke with the same technique.
- Friendly Enemy: Mu excluded, he is not above praising his enemies' power and abilities like being impressed and excited after seeing Gaara's sand attacks.
- Good Hair, Evil Hair: Played with. He looks like a Bond Villain waiting to happen, but he is deemed as a force of good in the Naruto verse, his forced slaughter of the Fourth Batallion notwithstanding.
- Having a Blast: His Infinite Explosion technique.
- I Cannot Self-Terminate: Even he is shocked how hard dying has come out to be.
- Implacable Man: The guy just refuses to stay sealed.
- Improbable Hairstyle
- Japanese Mythology: His Kuchiyose in form of the giant clam might come form a mythological shape-shifting dragon in said form, capable of creating the Fata Morganas, one of its invocation techniques.
- Large Ham: He was having way more fun than any of the rest of the resurrected kages in his group.
"Charisma oozes out of people without eyebrows, you know!"
"Hot damn! I don't have eyebrows either!"
- Loyal Animal Companion: In the form of a giant clam.
- Making a Splash
- Master of Illusion: While most of it is offscreen, to put it in perspective, he summons a clam,which in turn releases a mist covering the whole damn battlefield in a mirage that managed to baffle nearly the entire 4th division for a looong time.Good luck finding the Mizukage in the mirage before he puts a nice waterbullet in your head!
- Mutual Kill: He and the second Tsuchikage Mu both met their end this way.
- The Nicknamer: Calls Gaara "Mr. No-eyebrows" (while this could totally apply to himself).
- Nice Guy
- One-Man Army: He destroyed the entire Fourth Batallion, and gave a hard fight to Gaara and Oonoki.
- Obviously Evil: Subverted, he's arguably the nicest and cheeriest of the 4 zombie kage
- Sharp-Dressed Man: Shinobi style.
- Springtime for Hitler: He tried so very hard to lose, giving the Shinobi Alliance as many hints and tips as possible on how to defeat him. He slaughtered them all. He was not amused.
- Stealth Mentor: takes up this role when fighting Gaara, believing that if he can't defeat him in zombie mode, a victory against the Big Bad wouldn't be possible either. His efforts finally pay off.
Voiced by: Miyu Irino (JP)
Real Name: Yagura
The Mizukage previous to Mei, Yagura was feared in his time as a powerful jinchuruuki who had complete control of his biju the three tailed turtle. It was under his reign that the barbaric era known as the Bloody Mist took place, where to graduate the shinobi academy the students where forced to butcher their fellow classmates. It was revealed that Yagura was under Tobi's mind control when this era took place and he was merely a pawn in his game. Its unknown how he died but the Three Tails he previously played host too emerged in the wild by the time of Naruto Shippuuden.
Kabuto later resurrects him with Edo Tensei. Tobi then use his body along with the rest of the revived jinchuuriki as the new Six paths.
- Animal Battle Aura: A turtle aura thanks to the three-tails.
- Berserk Button: Being called small or a kid. It would not be surprising if he were voiced by Romi Park.
- The Caligula: Except that he was really under mind control
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: An evil looking stitched scar under his eye.
- Flower Motif: Has a green camellia perched on his staff. Filler character Yukimaru shares a similar affinity with the flowers as well as appearance and ability to control the three tails.
- Making a Splash
- Mismatched Eyes: After the Big Bad implants him with a sharingan and a rinnegan.
- Older Than He Looks
- Puppet King
- Purple Eyes
- Sealed Evil in a Can: He is the can.
- Simple Staff
- Hooks and Crooks: Carried a large hooked staff.
Voiced By: Kenichi Suzumura (JP)
The Jinchuuriki of the six tailed slug, Utakata is a distant missing ninja from the Hidden Mist there was a Filler arc focused on Utakata. Utakata's former master, Harusame, once tried unsuccessfully to extract the beast from his body, killing Harusame in the process. Utakata had sworn not to use the beast's powers ever again, but is forced to do so to in the process of rescuing his student, Hotaru, from a man named Shiranami who had activated the destructive jutsu fused with her body. Soon after resolving this conflict, he is found by all six paths of Pain, which quickly overwhelm and incapacitate him. Though it isn't shown, presumably he is then taken away to have the tailed beast extracted from his body, dying in the process. Kabuto later resurrects him with Edo Tensei. Tobi then use his body along with the rest of the revived jinchuuriki as the new Six paths.
Tropes associated with Utakata:
- Adaptation Expansion: He is a minor character in the manga, but in the anime, he gets a filler arc dedicated to him.
- Animal Battle Aura: His is a slug thanks to the six-tails.
- Badass Finger-Snap: How he activates his Boom Bubble technique.
- Broken Pedestal: His master, whom he killed when he tried to extract the beast from his body. After spending a considerable amount of time thinking about the person his master was, it's subverted when he realizes that his master did it for his sake.
- Berserk Button: The title Master.
- Doomed by Canon: At the point in the story he appeared, he isn't one of the three Jinchuuriki Akatsuki has yet to capture.
- Eyes of Gold
- Kimono: He wears a simple blue yukata.
- Hollywood Acid: He can secrete a film of acid in his transformed state.
- Improbable Weapon User: Attacks with a straw.
- Making a Splash: His Soap Bubble Ninjutsu
- Mismatched Eyes: After the Big Bad implants him with a sharingan and a rinnegan.
- Paper Talisman: Unlike Bee and Naruto's Power Tattoo seals his more closely resembled an ofuda.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: He is the can.
- Shoo the Dog: Tries to get Hotaru to leave him alone, largely because he doesn't believe he can be the master she wants.